Searching for information on Matthias Zoega, Verona.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
logan123

Searching for information on Matthias Zoega, Verona.

Post by logan123 »

Hi there. First of all...VERY impressive site. I've read some of the postings and answers and it seems like ppl here knows what they are talking about.

I am trying to find informations about Matthias Zoega, a count who lived in Verona, born about 1544. I've tracked my familytree back to him...and that is where things has stopped...

Since i don't speak italian, (..and wouldn't have a clue who to call even if i did) I was wondering if anyone here might have ideas or information that would help me to find out more about him (and of course his relatives).

I don't know if it might help, but the VERY brief summery is:

He had to flee because of a duel with another man (a military officer who actually died) over a woman. He was executed "in effigie" (meaning that if he ever came back to italy he would be executed).

If anyone has ideas, knowledge or information it would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Logan123
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

As you undoubtedlky know there is no record for Zoega in Italy and aside from some records dating to 1700's there is not much immediately apparent. Records prior to the 16th century depends upon historical history or anecdotes. There is an antiquarian bookdealer who has a book By CALIARI,Giovanni; DE LE ANTIQITA DE VERONA written in 1560. There are other books in the 1800's about historic oir noble families of verona which may or may not include Zoega. The thought hhere is that a book written about ancient Verona in 1560 may include a reference. Presumably it is written in Italian and costs about Euro $50.00. If you wish to pursue the matter please advise. Lots of Luck Peter NYC
logan123

Post by logan123 »

Hi Peter.

Thanks.

I did a search on the title (De le antiqita de Verona) and this address (http://www.athenaeumbooks.com/art2.htm) came up with:

"Caroto Giovanni, De le antiqita de Verona (Verona, 1560). In-folio, pp. 14, tavv. 48 f.t., ril. Carta a mano

[1522 6] €. 49,06"

It was located in the HISTORY OF ART -section (?). The surname of the author is not the one you mentioned - Is it the book you referred to?

Yes, i wish to persue the matter. Of course, there is a small problem with me not speaking itallian :-)...But a friend of mine does...I could ask her..

In case that doesn't work out....I have bold suggestion (and it will only work if you speak/read italien and have an interest in Italy's Ancient history...). If you were interested, I could send you the money - you buy the book - you read the book - tell me if you found anything...and you keep the book.

Mayby you allready own the book, maybe you don't have the time....and maybe you're thinking..."...that guy is waaayyy outta line...".

But then again....Maybe you think it's a great idea :-)

Either way, I really appriciate the help allready given...thanks.

Logan123
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I am in error. It is Giovanni Caroto not Caliari. sorry. I would accept your offer if I had an interest in Verona but alas I have interests in other areas of Italy. May I suggest you go to an Italian teaching school where you live and ask them. Peter NYC
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I did not mean to be so discourteous to you but if you cannot find anyone to help you review the book and it is not feasible for you to contact someonme in the Italian Embassy for a referral then please get back to me and I will post an inquiry in the Denmark Genelogy forum or you can too if you wish. Go to www.genforum.genelogy.com/denmark. Peter nyc
logan123

Post by logan123 »

Hi peter.

Your suggestion is.....a solution so obvious that I should be ashamed for not thinking of that myself :)

Thanks a bunch.

logan123
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Sometimes the screw up fairy pays a visit! Peter