Strangis

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Strangis

Post by nuccia »

vj wrote:Question:

1930 US Census for VITULLO & STRANGIS in Niagara Falls, NY
-- If Julia VITULLO is Frank 1899 STRANGIS wife... (living with her father & mother in 1930)
-- If Frank 1917 STRANGIS is Frank 1899 STRANGIS & Julia VITULLO's son... (living with his mother & grandparents)
-- Where is Frank 1899 STRANGIS in 1930?

Or is it this family living in Niagara Falls just a coincidence in names, no connection??

Suggestion: start with what you know, find information, see where it leads.
Make sense?

A lot of folks here will help you look.
Good question!!!! :? :? Great advice! :D :D :D Lets see if we can put this puzzle together but we really need more input from EStrangis...Copy and paste the information you believe to be correct and we'll attempt to follow...make sense?

Nuccia :D
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

deleted-incorrect info :oops:
EStrangis

Post by EStrangis »

Frank Joseph Strangis
Living inBrockton, Plymouth, MA
age 18, born Dec 12, 1899
Occu: Shoe shipper for C.S. Marshall Co
Nearest Relative: Father Napoleon Strangis, Brockton, MA

I know that this must be correct because My grandfather was Frank Joesph Strangis and My father is Frank Joseph as well.. I know VITULLO is My Great Grandmothers last name because My Grandmother remembers that. I do know that There was a Florence (first name) married to my Grandfather's Great Greatfather's brother. (did that make sense?)

The rest about Maria and Napoleon I don't know. I called and asked my Grandmother what she knew or if anything sounded familar. She said that she did not know but that my great Aunt Millie might know and she is out of town but will ask her when she returns. Aunt Millie is my Grandfather's sister. if thats any help.

This is the information I do know, but my grandmother told me that she thought that there was the name Gusepei (or something that started with a G, she wasn't sure) was the first name or last name of my Great Great Grandfather.
I am still trying to piece information to help, but no one in my family really knows themselves, Aunt Millie will possibly know something, but she will not be available for another week or two.
This seems like one big puzzle, again I am soo thankful for you guys!!!
EStrangis

Post by EStrangis »

I should also add, that I do know that my grandfather did live in Brockton. I can say that I know that. The Brockton Ma, information could be considered all relative to my Grandfather
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Beth,

Does the birth 1928/1929 fit for your father (Farncis on the 1930)?

Is your father deceased? When & Where? If deceased, do you have his death certificate? This should list his parents names.

When you say "grandmother" this is your maternal grandmother?
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
EStrangis

Post by EStrangis »

My dad is still alive, he was born in 1954 ( I believe) he was born March 25. The Grandmother I am refering to is My dad's mom. so My paternal Grandmother. I was born in 1983, if this helps put anything together. I was also wrong, Mille was Great Grandma Julia's sister. so it was my Grandfather's aunt.
EStrangis

Post by EStrangis »

My Grandmother's name is Dorothy. She is Polish though
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

I'm getting confused!

So your saying that the 1930 census for Frank & Julie Strangis in Niagara Falls are your grandparents? But your grandmother's name is Dorothy?
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I'm lost, too!

EStrangis, you need to summarize, in full what you know...

Start with yourself, and work backwards using full names (maiden namesfor women). Or take the time to wait for your aunt and show her what's been posted so far, then post back with all relative information.

Joyce, do you agree? I thinks she needs the time to sort through things.

Nuccia :?
EStrangis

Post by EStrangis »

One thing my aunt has said was that my Great Grandfather was born and died in Italy, whether that was true or not, I don't know. But Again it all seems like a mystery because my grandfather never spoke about it.
EStrangis

Post by EStrangis »

My name is Elizabeth Strangis, born in 1983, My father is Frank Joseph Strangis born in 1954 (it may be 1952), My Grandfather was Frank Joseph Strangis as well, he was born in 1917 and he is married to Dorothy.
I believe the 1930 census stuff is my great grandfather, and his wife Julia Vitullo. I know for a fact Julia's last name was Vitullo. I know that Millie, is still alive (she is 97 or so), which is my grandfather (born in 1917) aunt. She may be able to answer these questions but she is on vacation and will not be able to get back in touch with me for another two weeks (that is also saying that she remembers anything). I also know that there was an Aunt Florence who was married to my Great Grandfather's brother. (my grandmother told me this tonight when I called her). I also know that my grandfather lived in Brockton Ma. I know that my aunt said that my Great Grandfather (again that may be questionable since my grandfather never spoke about it) was born in San Bias, or Calabria, Italy. I know My grandfather fought in WWII ( I must have gotten confused looking at the military photo and assumed that was my grandfather's instead of great grandfather's). As far as anyone else's Maiden name, the only one we know is Vitullo. This is all the information that I can confirm, and hopefully Millie may be able to provide more information. No one else really knows anything though (as sad as that may sound, again my grandfather never really talked about it) There had been talk that my grandfather (1917) went back to Italy with His Mother Julia, and that possibly his father (Frank J Strangis as well) died in Italy because of a war issue or something violent that involved Mussolini. Again, I cannot confirm that because there was always a family hush talk about that subject and it was something my grandfather NEVER spoke about and would not answer questions about. It could be that he had returned to the US and got remarried, but again I don't know, I do know that my great grandfather could have possibly died when my grandfather (born in 1917) was 13. I am trying to piece all this information together, but I am not quite sure. I apologize for my lack of knowledge and names, but I haven't been able to find anyone in my family that knows that much about it. Let me know if I can provide anything else useful. I can try my best and ask to see if anything rings a bell.
I REALLY appreciate everything everyone has done to help me & my entire family. They are all anxious now to see if I can find out anything because its all a mystery to us.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Nuccia,

I most definitely AGREE!!!!!!!

Here is more information for Beth to consider:

1930 Niagara Falls, Niagara, New York
Vitullo Raymond-head-64 Italy-married @30-immig 1882-NA-occu:cleaner
Vitullo, Mary-wife-57 Italy-married @19-immig 1895-NA
Strangis, Julie-daughter-32 NY-widow-occo:housework, private family
page 2
Vitullo, Frank-son-22 NY
Vitullo, Carmela-daugher-15 NY
Strangis, Frank-grandson-12 MA

Link for page 1
http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/5870 ... pg18rc.jpg

Link for oage 2
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6272 ... pg25ry.jpg

Beth, Let us know what you think.

Vj,

I know that this is the same information that you posted on page 1, but didn't you delete it @ one time :?:
EStrangis

Post by EStrangis »

I can barely read the text on those images, but it does say that Julie is a widow correct? Could this possibly mean that her husband Frank J (from the WWI information) was married twice? Possibly never died? All of what VJ said seems accurate (or actually everything that everyone has put seems accurate, VJ was just the easiest for me to understand) Where do you suggest I go from here? What information that you guys have provided to you find to be most accurate? I apologize for sounding like such a dud, but I am still new to learning the genealogy searching stuff, and I am still learning how to identify everything. Also I apologize for my lack of information.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Beth,

To better read the images above...click on the link and then save the image to your desktop...open it from your desktop and it will be easier to read.

Hope this helps. Late for work. Will check back later

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Beth,

First, I want to say that I hope you take this in the spirit that it was written, to assist you.

We all were "newbies" @ one time & didn't know how to start! There are good websites that tell you how to start researching your family history & there are many books on the subject.

I really suggest that you take a step back & do some reading on genealogical research, first. Keep all the information provided here. In genealogy, you can not just "believe" or "think" or "guess" the information is correct. You have to verfiy through documentation all information.

Always remember to work backwards in time. The documentation that you obtain for your father will provide information on his parents (your grandparents)> the documentation you obtain for your grandparents will provide info on your great, grandparents & so on. Keep everything in chronological order & keep track of sources

And remember, everyone here at the forum are here to assistance in your research. So, please keep us posted with all your new information & post request for help to obtain different records.

So, dear Beth, until you verify what information that has been provided is correct, we would only be "guessing".

Hope this helps.

jcsm