Family roots

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
loligo

Family roots

Post by loligo »

I´m looking for living relatives of Donato Antonio Semeraro and Maria Teresa Giganti (or, Gigante) who got married around 1900 - I´m their great-grand son, living in Argentina. Any help is welcome.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

In order for me tyo direct you to appropriate websites and addresses you must provide the lity or town of origin in Italy and, at least the year of marriage and their year of birth. Do you know when they enetered Argentina? Have you checked our CEMLA in Buenos Aires for their arrival from Italy as immigrants. Obviously I am assuming a lkot here because you say nothing more than their names so I am just guessing. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I did a quick check and there is a reord for a Donato Semeraro who enetred Buenos Aires on March 21, 1909 at age 30, single on the ship REGINA ELENA from Italy and who listed his occupation as "aldeano". Please advise if this relates. Since this mans age is 30 then he was born in a879. Peter NYC
loligo

Post by loligo »

Hi Peter,
I also checked the list of immigrants at CEMLA, but I did not get anything conclusive -I was under the impression, from family stories, that both, mt great-grand father and my grandfather came together to Argentina (GrandPa´s name was Antonio). So the results of the Cemla list was at least ambiguous- they said there were still adding entries to the list, so their names might not be there.
Because my great grandpaternts married in Italy, and my great grand mother remained there, I thougth there was a chance to find some living relatives that remained in Italy, that´s the reason of my first message.
Thanks for your interest!
Aníbal
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Do you happen to know what their town of origin was in Italy?? This way we can check for relatives who may know more than you do. Peter
loligo

Post by loligo »

April 6
Hi Peter,
I had the impression they were from Bari, but I´m not sure whether that meant they were from some small community around Bari. Somehow, the name of Putignano comes to mind.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are 5 in Putignano surnamed Semerao but there are also more than 200 in 24 villages in the province of Bari. Since Putignano "comes to mind" that may be your instinctual course of action to follow. WWW.paginebianche.it is your website for this. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

PS: do the same for your grandmother GigantE (not ending in i). There are 55 in Putignano. Peter
loligo

Post by loligo »

April 8, 2003
Hi Peter,
Found several addresses in the site you gave me -I think I´ll write them!
Thanks a million
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

one letter addressed to allof them may cover all semeraro's and all 55 Gigantes. Its worth the investment in stamps since its only a one shot deal! Peter