?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Emmy
Master
Master

?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

My grandparents:Giovanni Batiste Defilippis (Giovani Batista Defilippis-not sure of the correct spelling)and Francesca Bastianelli were married in Sant'Elia in July 1878. I been trying to get a copy of their marriage certificate but so far have had no success. I would also like to find out if there are any families with the surname of Defilippis or Bastianelli still living in Sant'Elia. Before they came to England (1878-1887?)they had a son Francesco(Francis) who was born in Italy. They moved to Scotland around 1891-1893. A son, Michelangelo Defilippis, who was born in Scotland around 1894, returned to Italy and emmigrated to USA. (update 2007- this did not happen he was in Glasgow)I have also tried to get information on ships passenger lists that left Italy and came to England between 1878-1887 but all I can get is passenger lists going to USA. I would be grateful for any help anyone can give me. Thanks!
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi Emmy

There were only three Defilippis children born in Scotland - all between 1894 and 1901. It is worth checking to see if they all have the same parents. Michelangelo was definitely in 1894. Despite there having been a child born in 1901, I can't find a Defilippis family on the 1901 census under several variants. If the child was born before the census that would put a timeframe on a point when they left Scotland. There are no marriages or deaths listed for any variants of this surname I can think of either.

Have you been to the Scotland people website? It is a pay-per-view site where you will be able to see the certificates mentioned above. It is at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ and it will cost you £6. I will go and see if I can find them on the 1881 census!

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Emmy

There is also a death registered for a Frances Bastianelli age 50 in 1913 in Glasgow. Her other surnames are listed as De and Phillip. That will also probably be worth a look. It just might be your grandmother.

Marisa

PS - if this turns out to be your grandmother it might be worth looking for anglicised versions of your grandfathers name in the death indexes - ie John Phillip
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Marisa6 wrote:Emmy

There is also a death registered for a Frances Bastianelli age 50 in 1913 in Glasgow. Her other surnames are listed as De and Phillip. That will also probably be worth a look. It just might be your grandmother.

Marisa

PS - if this turns out to be your grandmother it might be worth looking for anglicised versions of your grandfathers name in the death indexes - ie John Phillip
Thanks Marisa
I should have explained furher:My grandmother did change the name to De Phillips which eventually became Phillips. My cousin found this out and by accident found the family listed in the 1901 Scottish census. It was through this that we discovered about Michelangelo and my cousin obtained a copy of Michelagelo's birth certificate and from that I discovered where my grandparents were married, we didnt realise my father had another brother, in fact he had two other brothers but one died aged 2years in 1904. I had looked up Scotspeople.gov and by trial and error discovered the 3 deaths and after trying for almost 20 years I eventually got my grandfathers death certificate. The surprise was his death was registered as his first name being George, but it was definately him. I feel if I could get a copy of their marriage certificate I would find out more about my greatgrandparents What I didnt say in my first notice was that the place they came from was Sant'Elia Fiumerapido in Prov Frosinone italy Thanks a lot for taking time looking all that up for me its very much appreciated.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Have you written the civil office? >>>>

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Sant'Elia Fiumerapido
03049 SAN"ELIA FIUMERAPIDO (FR)
ITALY

Did you include a self-addressed return envelope, a copy of your photo ID, and an international reply coupon(Obtain at local post office)? Might not hurt to include $10.00 for their trouble.
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi,

Here's a link for all the phone listings for Bastianelli's in Italy:

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... =&ind=&nc=

Hope this helps!

Nuccia :D
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Thanks to JCSM400 and to Nuccia for the information. I have already sent an email to the comune di Sant'Elia (one written in English and one translated into Italian via Google)but so far I have had no reply. I will take up your suggestion and write and see if that helps. I did visit Sant'Elia about 25 years ago but I didn't have enough information at that time to be of any use in tracing anyone.
Nuccia I'm going to have a look at that web site you sent.
Many thanks to you both for taking the time to reply.
Emmy
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Emmy,

Glad I could help a little. If you need anything else, just let us know!

jcsm
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Your welcome, Emmy!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi again Emmy

You are welcome. I love the GROS website - I don't get to use it too often these days myself as I've sort of exhausted it, so I love it when I get to look up stuff for other people.

My family are from Frosinone too. I know what you mean about anglicised names on death certificates. My g g g grandfather went from Giuseppe to Joseph on his.

You said that you want to find out about your g grantparents. Did your grandparents death certificates list their names, or was this one of those cases where the informant didn't know the names? If you have these names, they should be just far enough back in time that you could access them on the mormon microfiche for Sant'Elia. That would take you back a few more generations.

Marisa :)
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Marisa,

My husband's family is from Frosinone...San Donato to be exact. Where is your family from?

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Hi Marisa
Don't know where to find the mormon microfiche for Sant'Elia. On my grandad's death certificate it said his father's name was Dominick(my great grandfather) and that he had been a farmer and my great grandmother's name was Mary Defilippis (maiden name- Gieoseppa) but as far as I can find out there is no such italian surname that is why I am trying to get a copy of my grandparents marriage certificate. I'm going to try writing to the comune as jcsm suggested. I would also like to find out exactly when my grandparents arrived in Britain and what happened to Michelangelo after he arrived in USA Its difficult because he could have changed his name. (My late husband's family came from Atina) Thanks again will keep you posted about any developments.
HI JCSM Many thanks again I'll keep you posted if I get any reply from the Sant'Elia comune.
Nuccia:My late husband's family came from Atina. Frosinone Thanks Emmy
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Emmy,

You're welcome again.

Gave you the address for the town 'cause I did not find any LDS films for this location. You may want to double check for the films. Here is a link to find your local Family History Center>

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Give the Center a call & ask them to check for films for your town.

hope this helps.

jcsm
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi Ladies

Nuccia - my family came from Atina, Picinisco, Belmonte Castello and Casalattico. San Donato is just a few miles to the north of Atina I think.

Emmy - what was your husbands family? If they are from Atina we may well be related!!! :D Stranger things have happened!

Now - the films for Sant'Elia. The good thing is, as I have just discovered, the films for this town cover from 1809 all the way to 1899 so your grandfathers birth should be listed. The Latter Day Saints Church (Mormons) have microfilmed all of the state records for most of the towns in Italy. It is a wonderful resource. Depending on where you live, you can order the films at your local Family History Centre. You can't take them out of the centre, but you should be able to find what you are looking for there. Go to http://www.familysearch.org/ then 'library' then 'Family History Library Catalog' then 'place search'. Type in Sant'Elia, click on the blue links in the 'place details' and 'topic details' pages, and then click on 'film notes' in the top right hand corner. This page will give you the film numbers. Once you have those, go back to the home page, then to 'family history centres', and that will show you where the nearest centre to you is. It can take a few weeks to get the films.

Mary's maiden name might have been Giuseppe - although I don't know that name. The film will show it!

Marisa :D
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi Joyce

I was typing slowing and crossed over with you :D

Marisa xx