HELP!!! with Disernia / De Isernia surname.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
gballard

HELP!!! with Disernia / De Isernia surname.

Post by gballard »

I am trying to help my step dad unlock the mystery of his father. My step dad was born in 1916. Here is what I have about my stepfather's father.

His father's name was Antone or Antonio Michael De Isenria or Disernia. I am thinking this last name was not his last name in Italy.

His father was born in Italy with conflicting dates. On the 1900 Census his birth year is listed as 1871. On the WW1 civilian draft registration, his birth date is listed as 25 Jul 1873. On the california death index his birth date is listed as 1 Jan 1864. So, we are not sure which one is correct.

Also, we believe he came to America in 1890 or 1891, before Ellis Island records. His naturalization records in are in Boulder County, Colorado in 1891 or 1892. The 1900 Census shows an imigration year of 1890.

I have looked through every ship manifest I can find on the interent from 1880 to 1892. I have also looked on Ellis Island.org even though I know he came to the US before Ellis Island started accepting imigrants.

My stepdad thinks his father came from Naples, but doesn't know for sure. He has been to Italy and couldn't find any information, but he doesn't speak or read Italian. Hard to find info when you don't speak the language.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Glen
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

For starters there is not surname Disernia or Isernia listed in the Italian surname dictionary and the only match is that there is a porvincial capital Isernia in the Molise region. There is no dictionary word for Isernia as well.You did not mention that you filed form 81 with NARA for his entry intoi the USA and so go to www.genelalogylookups.com/narchives.htm for the form 81 passenger arrival information. You seem to have abundant information and now you must wade thru the mists of time to find out which information is correct and that is difficult to do. I will try to assist you if I can. Peter
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maurizio »

Hi.
Correct spelling of the surname may be D'ISERNIA (with the apostrophe).
It seems there are nowadays 6 person or family livig in Italy with this surname: 3 in Abruzzo region, 1 in Lazio region and 2 in Campania region (and 1 of them in the province of Naples).
You could find their names and addresses using the on-line Italian telephone listings (http://www.paginebianche.it, or http://elenco.libero.it).
Hope this helps.
Ciao, Maurizio
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Maurizio brings up an interesting point and maybe the key to determining his real name and year of birth. When submitting the form 81 include D'isernia as well as your own spelling since that probably would cover all bases. You may also wish to write to the woman in Toore Del Greco who is listed as D'Isernia and ask her if she is related to you. Write in Italian or very SIMPLE english since english is the second language in Italy. Peter
sheilas14

Re: HELP!!! with Disernia / De Isernia surname.

Post by sheilas14 »

ANTONIO M. DISERNIA
Possessing courage and the spirit of enterprise, Antonio M. Disernia has overcome the obstacles and difficulties in his path and has risen to a position of importance in the business circles of Marysville, where he is known to his many friends as “Tony.â€Â