Writing to Italy

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Writing to Italy

Post by joyse »

I put a brief letter and had it translated on my computer. Could someone please tell if this sounds correct. also should I add that I am pleased to pay for any documents etc?

Ciao
Sto seguendo la mia storia di famiglia e sto cercando la nascita del mio Antonio di prima generazione grande Borinno sopportato approssimativamente 1851 ed il suo fratello Serafino sopportato approssimativamente 1847.
Il cognome ha potuto essere ortografato diffently io non sono assolutamente determinato.
Il loro padre e stato chiamato Angelo ed era un coltivatore.
Antonio e Serafino sono venuto in Inghilterra verso la fine di 1860s
Spero che possiate aiutarlo a soddisfare.

What would be correct to send with the letter, cheque etc?
thanks

Joy

:D
mler
Master
Master

Re: Writing to Italy

Post by mler »

Joy, the computer translators are notoriously bad. I'm better at translating from Italian to English, but even I can see that this translation is poor. Fortunately, there are many Italian speakers on this site, who I'm sure, will be able to help you. You may want to post the letter in English as well because that may be easier.

Also, you don't indicate to whom the letter will be sent, and that may determine whether or not you send money.
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joyse »

mler
thank you for that info. I am sending it it Comune, Ufficio di Stato Civile.
I was given this address on the geneology forum.

thanks

Joy
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Joy,

When writing to the civil office you should include an international reply coupon (obtain from your local post office), self addressed return envelope, & a copy of your photo ID (recommend).

There is differnt advise about sending money. Here, our Italian members say no, that it's not necessary. I have also found that you can send $5.00/$10.00 in cash for their trouble.

Hope this helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joyse »

Hi jcsm
I'll get a reply coupon thankyou. In England we don't have ID so I'll have to miss this one out! Not sure what to do about the money.
Thanks for your reply

Joy :D
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joyse »

Unfortunately I didn't keep a copy of the English!

What I said was: I am researching my family history and looking for the birth of my great grandfather Antonio Borrino who was born approx 1851 and his brother Serafino born approx 1847. I think the surname is correct but I am not exactly certain. Their father was Angelo a farmer.
Antonio and Serafino came to England in the late 1860s.
I think their birthplace to be be Colloretta. (I hadn't put this in previously)
I do hope you will be able to help me.

Would I need to put any more than this?

Hope someone can translate it for me.
Thanks
Joy
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Hi Joyce,

Since no one has responded yet, I thought I'd send my translation (although I'm more comfortable with Italian to English than English to Italian). My husband has checked it, and he says it seems ok. He was born and raised in Italy, but his Italian is a bit rusty.

I've used the passato remoto tense often because you discuss things that took place a long time ago.

Hope this helps.

Sto seguendo la storia della mia famiglia e la nascita del mio bisnonno, Antonio Borrino. (Credo che il cognome sia giusto ma non sono sicura.) Antonio nacque circa 1851, e suo fratello, Serafino, circa 1847.

Il loro padre si chiamava Angelo, e faceva il coltivatore. Antonio e Serafino vennero in Ingliterra nel tardo del 1860, e credo che nacquero a Colloretta.

Spero che possiate aiutarmi. Mille grazie.
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joyse »

Hi MLER

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to do this. I will send it off and keep my fingers crossed.

Best wishes

Joy
:D :D
joycefaughnan

Post by joycefaughnan »

your messages have been very helpful to me. I am in the same stage you are looking for my grandparents history only they are from Aquino Frosinone Italy. I am going to try to write the letter this week. I would love to know what kind of response you get. ....Joyce in Minnesota, USA
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

joyse wrote:I put a brief letter and had it translated on my computer. Could someone please tell if this sounds correct. also should I add that I am pleased to pay for any documents etc?

Ciao
Sto seguendo la mia storia di famiglia e sto cercando la nascita del mio Antonio di prima generazione grande Borinno sopportato approssimativamente 1851 ed il suo fratello Serafino sopportato approssimativamente 1847.
Il cognome ha potuto essere ortografato diffently io non sono assolutamente determinato.
Il loro padre e stato chiamato Angelo ed era un coltivatore.
Antonio e Serafino sono venuto in Inghilterra verso la fine di 1860s
Spero che possiate aiutarlo a soddisfare.

What would be correct to send with the letter, cheque etc?
thanks

Joy

Joy: this could be Serafino in 1901 UK census:
1901 England Census Record
Census
View Image Name: Secraffina Borrino
Birth: abt 1849 - Italy
Residence: 1901 - city, Lancashire, England

the birthplace: Collaretta...? perhaps Collaretto hamleth of San Bartolomeo town, in Turin province?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi to all,
Suanj, COLORETTA is a little hamlet of Zeri.....
Ciao!!
Laura :D
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

well laura, it could be Coloretta also!
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joyse »

Hi Suanj

Thank you. Yes that is Serafino. I have had a reply back from Zeri and they have an Antonio with Angelo the father within the right date so hopefully this is the correct one. I have yet to verify this with finding the birth of Serafino. If nothing comes of this then looking at the alternative place you have given will certainly be a good possibility.

Thank you for your help.
Best wishes
Joy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, Joy!
is so strange that in Zeri no birthact of Serafino... however is necessary to search again and better! regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joyse »

Hi Suanj

Have you actually looked for this?
When I received reply from Zeri they didn't mention Serafino but I thought it was that they only looked for Antonio.
If Serafino isn't there for the year approx. 1847 then I could have a problem. I was really hoping this was the right family.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Joy
:(