Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Forio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ischia

Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Forio

Post by ischia »

I am looking for any information of the names Giavonni Guiseppe (John Joseph aka J. Joseph or Joseph J.) Castaldi (born June 1858 and Maria D'Ambra Castaldi (born 1878-1880 ) of Forio d'Ischia, Italy, married in USA, Philadelphia, PA. on Sept. 14, 1896.

I am in search of valid dates and information on my ancestor families from Forio d'ischia, Italy of the Castaldi's and D'Ambra's.

I would like to know where I can find a copy of my grandfather's birth/baptismal certificate of Giovanni Guiseppe Castaldi born June 1858.

I am especially interested in finding information on his parents (My Great Grandparents) Raffale and Nunziata Castaldi and if there are any other children and grandchildren like myself . The only ones I can find info on are the 2 sons that came to America: Giovanni Guiseppe born 1858 and Luigi Castaldi born 1854 lived in Rhode Island, USA died in 1926.

Giovanni Castaldi came to America in 1881 and Maria D'Ambra (she was brought to America by her father Luigi D'Ambra a few months before her wedding to Giovanni) were married in USA in June 1896, Phila. PA.

Their oldest son, Salvatore Joseph Castaldi born in USA in December 29, 1900, was sent to his grandparents' church or seminary in Ischia to become a priest when he was around 10 years of age in 1910 until 1913 when he returned to America to his parents in Philadelphia, PA. I am looking for any information on his time in Ischia if possible.

They had a total of 13 children from 1898 to 1917 and the youngest Margurite just passed away in October 2006 and we have no one who can answer our questions. Even the one relative of Luigi Castaldi still living in Rhode Island does not know any information.

I would also like any information on my grandmother, Maria D'Ambra, born December about 1878 - 1880. Her father's name was Luigi D'Ambra born 1850 and I am not sure of her mothers name it may be Maria born 1858, I would like to find out what her maiden name was. She had 2 other children: Michaelangelo born 1882, Frances born 1884.

How do I find out information from Forio d'Ischia offical information dept. on my grandparents and maybe their parents. I do not know what parish they were from. How do I find where they lived and dates of births and deaths etc. Who can I contact there and at what address?

We had a family reunion and the grand and greatgrandparents are all we could talk about and I would love to be able to give my cousins more information about our ancestors.

Thank you,

Joanne Castaldi Navarro
jojosew@comcast.net
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ishcia di Forio

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi,

If you know Giovanni Castaldi birth date or approx year write , email, or fax the archives (see link below for the info) for his military draft registration information. This will provide birth date, birth place & parent information.

http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... 2NAPOLI%22

Website for Forio, better known as Forio d' Ischia
http://www.comune.forio.na.it/sito/default.shtml

If the town of birth is Forio then you can write to:

UFFICIO DELLA STATO CIVILE
Comune di Forio
80075 FORIO (NA)
ITALY

for his birth act.

As for Maria D'Ambra, you need to find out her town of origin. Pull all US records that you can for her: Complete marriage record, death certificate, church records, birth certificates of her children, are all places that may list her town of birth.

Hope this helps.

jcsm

Note:edited...wrote "comune of" instead of "comune di"...Sorry!
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

PS.

If you don't have census records, ship manifests, we can link the records that we find....so let us know.

jcsm
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
I would like to let you know that last year, during june, I contacted the lady in charge of Archivio di Stato di Napoli, requesting a military record.
She told me that the building where all these records are saved is closed and nobody is allowed to get into it because it is very damaged, it is dangerous because brick of wall may fall down and hurt anyone.
She also told me that the Government had no money at the moment to fix the building, because it was too expensive.
A friend of mine just told me that they are going to think about fixing it, maybe because there are many requests for military records...
Good luck for you research
bye Riccardo
Trento, Italy
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Gee , thanks Riccardo.... such great news (Ha Ha)! :roll: This is the archive I'm trying to get different info from.....Are all records or just the military records in this decaying building? Are the 1741 census records elsewhere?

ISCHIA,

Guess you are going to have to write the comune of Forio. Hope family reunion isn't anytime soon!

jcsm :)
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
in that building I know there are military records, I don't know if there are other kind of records...
bye Riccardo
ischia

Re: Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ishcia d'Fo

Post by ischia »

Hello,

Thank you for replying. Any ship manifest sheets all say just "Ischia".\
I have only been able to check 1900,1910,& 1920 censes in Philadelphia Pa and they just say Italy. I will try the links. Thank you so much for your help. Joanne
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surnames Castaldi & D'Ambra of Ischia d'Fo

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Joanne,

Another place that may list birth town are his naturalization papers. On the 1900 census it shows that his second papers have been sent & the 1920 shows that he is naturalized. So b/t 1900 &1920 he became a US citizen. Since you have him on the 1910, see what it shows to narrow down the year range.

Do you know when they died? In Philadelphia?

jcsm
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Joanne,

Here is a link to obtain his naturalization papers.

http://www.archives.gov/midatlantic/pub ... ralization

Hope it helps.

jcsm
ischia

Post by ischia »

Hello jscm,

Yes, they both died in Philadelphia, PA. Maria on May 2, 1931 and Joseph before 1930. She came here in 1896 to marry him with her father Luigi D'Ambra. I believe Joseph immigrated here in 1881.

Thanks, Joanne
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Link to the Pennsylvania State Archives, depending on your location, this archive is available for research in person and offers assistance in locating source material.

http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/bah/dam/genie1.htm

wldspirit
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

ischia wrote:Hello jscm,

Yes, they both died in Philadelphia, PA. Maria on May 2, 1931 and Joseph before 1930. She came here in 1896 to marry him with her father Luigi D'Ambra. I believe Joseph immigrated here in 1881.

Thanks, Joanne
Hi Joanne,

Where in Pennsylvania are you? I'm in South Philly.

Also, give me till tomorrow night. I can look up the License Number for you for the marriage record of Joseph Castaldi and Maria D'Ambra. I have the Philadelphia Marriage Index from 1885-1915.

Smile for me!:)
Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Again,

Here is Joseph J. Castaldi in the 1900 Census. They were married about 1896. She had 3 children and only 1 survived. He came 1881. She came 1896. They had a daughter Nancy.

Name: John J Castaldi
Home in 1900: Philadelphia Ward 4, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Estimated birth year: abt 1859
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Immigration year: 1881
Image source: Year: 1900; Census Place: Philadelphia Ward 4, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Roll: T623 1453; Page: 10A; Enumeration District: 77

Here they are in the 1910 census. Joseph was already Naturalized by 1910. And the children are Nancy, Salvatore, Ralph, Felix, Carma, Augustus

Name: Joseph J Castalde
Age in 1910: 51
Estimated birth year: abt 1859
Home in 1910: 44-Wd Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Image Source: Year: 1910; Census Place: 44-Wd Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Series: T624; Roll: 1412; Page: 241B; Enumeration District: 1113; Part: 1; Line: 25

Here is the 1920 census. Per this census, they had 4 more children. It's a two page census. Per this census, Joseph was naturalized by 1895.

Name: Joseph Castaldi
Estimated birth year: abt 1858
Home in 1920: Philadelphia Ward 44, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Home owned: Own
Sex: Male
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: 1888
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 100
Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: Philadelphia Ward 44, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Roll: T625_1645; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 1640; Image: 100

Here is Marie in the 1930 census as a widow.

Name: Marie Castaldi
Estimated birth year: abt 1881
Relation to head-of-house: Mother
Home in 1930: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Image source: Year: 1930; Census Place: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Roll: 2137; Page: 17B; Enumeration District: 471; Image: 723.0.

Also, this looks pretty good for a manifest for Joseph.

Name: Giovanni Castaldo
Arrival Date: 14 Dec 1880
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1857
Port of Departure: Marseilles, France and Naples, Italy and Palermo, Italy
Destination: United States of America
Place of Origin: Italy
Ship Name: Italia
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 15
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: 432
List Number: 1597
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

I hope this helps some,
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
ischia

Post by ischia »

Hello,

How do you find all this information? I bought the newest Family tree maker software and I still can not get the info you have found. I was hoping to buy the world family tree vol. 43. I found information that claimed I should be able to get what I am looking for on the vol. 43 for information on Castaldi and D'Ambra families. I am sure there are no gaurantees this cd will have what I need.

Thanks again, Gilbertsville, PA-

Joanne
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

ischia wrote:Hello,

How do you find all this information? I bought the newest Family tree maker software and I still can not get the info you have found. I was hoping to buy the world family tree vol. 43. I found information that claimed I should be able to get what I am looking for on the vol. 43 for information on Castaldi and D'Ambra families. I am sure there are no gaurantees this cd will have what I need.

Thanks again, Joanne
Hi Joanne,

We are all here to help. :)

Where in PA are you?

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum