History of the Province of Caserta region

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
scorpione
Rookie
Rookie

History of the Province of Caserta region

Post by scorpione »

A ll I can find on the history of this region is general information like it was one time Magna Grecia or under Austrian or Angevin or Bourbon control etc. Since my grandparents lived there (I have traced them to 1803 ) I am very curious about where they came from before their years there.Was there a "native " Italian population? I have heard about the Samiti people etc. How can one tell if ones ancestors were original native people or Greeks ,Romans ,Austrians etc.who settled there also .Thanks for your help.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: History of the Province of Caserta region

Post by suanj »

The people of campania region was all italians if they had italian surnames! if the surname of your ancestor was a foreign surname italianized by time, well the search must made by the surname and not for all people of Campania region or Caserta province... sometimes the soldiers of borbons or angioini married to italian women, and in this case the surname could be italianized...
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH