Guiseppe Caivano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
scorpione
Rookie
Rookie

Guiseppe Caivano

Post by scorpione »

Hi,

Can anybody find a listing for my ggrandfather Guiseppe Caivano born about 1861 He was married to Rosa Simone and had 3 children Francesco, Luigi and Pasqualina. I can't find him in Pontelatone or Formicola(Caserta Province) where I am fairly sure my grandfather,( his son Francesco )was born. Am I missing something or could he be found in Caivano( Province Napoli) or the little hamlet of Caivano near Ruoti in Province of Potenza. Or did he come from someplace else.

While I have had good luck in general tracing my family through the LDS microfilms I am perplexed why I can't make any headway in this particular search. Is there a professional or talented amateur who can help? Thanks so much as this is driving me crazy .Some might say that is not too large a task!) Many thanks ,Joe
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Guiseppe Caivano

Post by VaDeb »

You ask the following:

"Can anybody find a listing for my ggrandfather Guiseppe Caivano born about 1861"

What source are you requesting this look up from? There are lots of helpful people here. Sorry if I don't understand what you are asking.
scorpione
Rookie
Rookie

Post by scorpione »

Debbie,

Thank you for your reply. I am looking for any reference to my great grandfather Guiseppe Caivano ,as` any information will be helpful. A birth record for him or a death record for example would probably tell me who his father was ,where Guiseppe died, where guiseppe and his father were born etc. In short, any information will fill in the blanks as I continue my research into my family who lived in Italy. Thanks so much and I hope you have better luck than I have had in this search .Joe
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Can you tell us what families members came to USA or where they lived?

YOur grandfather Francesco was born in Italy, town uncertain. Do you know what year he was born? Did he come to the USA? Have you found his passenger manifest record? Did he marry? Name of wife and children? Have you found them on census records? Do you have his death records? When and where?

I would start by tracing your grandfather backwards. If you provide the above information we can check the records.
scorpione
Rookie
Rookie

Post by scorpione »

Debbie,

My grandfather Francesco Caivano was born in Italy in 1889. He had a brother ,Luigi ,who was born in Pontelatone(Province of Caserta) in 1898.He`also had a sister Pasqualina who was born in Italy and remained there all of her life , (I believe.) My grandfather and his brother Luigi both came to America. Grandpa came in 1907 , (I am fairly sure) but I can't find the records at Ellis Island or anyplace else. He married Carolina De Gregoria who was born in San Angelo in Formis (Province of Napoli) . Grandpa,s name was changed to Frank Cavano and he lived with his son (my dad, Joseph SR.)much of his life.Therefore I know a great deal about him and saw him and grandma daily until their deaths in Kingston NY . He died in 1965 and she died in 1956.I am interested especially in his place on birth . I was`sure it was Formicola (Caserta Province) but can't find it even though I have searched the Stato Civile for Pontelatone and Formicola.I also want to learn ANYTHING about his dad, my ggrandfather.Guiseppe who was born about 1861 and married Rosa Simone somewhere in Italy. (Gramps had 2 children, my dad ,Joseph Sr and my aunt Rose .Dad died in 1990 and Aunrt Rose in 1984 0r 1985 in Kingston NY) Incidentally,my grandfather,Francesco spent his earliest years in Sarotoga Springs NY where many of my grandmothers family settled. Her sisters Angelina and Therese married DelVecchio's. I hope I have not given too much information. Thanks for all your kindnesses. Joe
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the update. Now I have a better understanding of what you are looking for. Let's see what we can find.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Here is a draft card:

Name: Frank Cavano
City: Not Stated
County: Ulster
State: New York
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: Oct 21 1889
Race: Caucasian
Roll: 1819114
DraftBoard: 1
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5236/draftcad6lw.jpg

It does give his place of birth. Not sure I can read town name. Hopefully Suanj or someone better with geography will have an opinion of the town. It may say Formicola.

The card shows he was naturalized by this time. His naturalization papers should also give his place of birth.

1920 census:
Name: Frank Cavano
Estimated birth year: abt 1891
Race: White
Home in 1920: Kingston, Ulster, New York
Home owned: Own
Sex: Male
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: 1907
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4898 ... sus3bt.jpg

1930 Census: (correct family when view census)
Name: Francis Croann
Estimated birth year: abt 1890
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Carolyn Croann
Race: White
Home in 1930: Kingston, Ulster, New York
immigrated in 1908
(I had to crop the page to fit on image shack)
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5691/19300zv.jpg
scorpione
Rookie
Rookie

Post by scorpione »

Debbie,
I hope I am not being a bother but:
Thank you for the info. I have seen most information available on my grandfather and I do believe it is Formicola which he always says was his place of birth and which cousins of his told me when I visited them in 1983. Two problems remain.
#1. Why can't I find a birth record for my grandfather Francesco in Formicola ( Pontelatone).I found his brother Luigi's birth record there but the Stato Civile does not show grandpa or hir sister Pasqualina.

#2. Why can I not find a record for marriage ,birth or death for his dad Guiseppe. I know Guiseppe was born about 1860.His record would tell me a lot more about my more distant relatives. I can only guess that he may have been born elsewhere. Maybe Province of Napoli or Potenza. There are 2 towns called Caivano .One is Provincia di Napoli and the other is in Provincia di Potenza.

These are the 2 problems that I really need help with. In any case thank you for all your efforts som far. I am deeply grateful. Grazie per tutto. Joe
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Sometimes it is helpful to re-check what we "know" when we hit a dead end. Was posting census to check year of immigration. Looks like 1907-1908 as you stated.

Hopefully someone will have an opinion of the town on the draft card, although it does seem to be Formicola.

Since you have found Luigi's birth record, does it give a place of birth for the father?