Nicola Massi and Carolina Campanella Massi from Forenza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nicolb

Nicola Massi and Carolina Campanella Massi from Forenza

Post by nicolb »

I am trying to research my great grandfather and great grandmother. He was born in Italy in Forenza and came to the USA with his parents (Nicola and Lena Massi-my great great grandparents). In the USA he changed his name to Nicholas (Nick) Massie. He married a woman from Forenza named Carolina Campanella. Their son Charles Massie was the only child born in Italy.

I have obtained Nicola's death certificate from NYC but I have been unable to locate his birth certificate. Here is what I know:

Nicola "Nick" Massi/Massie.
Born approx. 1855 in Forenza, Italy.
DOD 9/16/1917 in NYC.
Lived in the US for 50 years (came to the US approx. 1867 at age 12).
Parents: Nicola and Lena Massi.
First Marriage to an unknown person (no children that I know of)--the census records show him to have been previously married and he was 13 years older than my great grandmother.
Second Marriage to Carolina Campanella in Forenza, Italy.
Carolina Campanella (DOB:1868-DOD: 6/4/1945).
They had a son: Charles James Massie who was born in Forenza, Italy November 12, 1890.
Carolina Campanella Massi came to the US with her son Charles on November 15, 1892.
Vessel: Biagno.
Port of Departure: Naples.
Arrival: NY.

Nicola and Carolina had (6) children:

Charles James Massie (November 12, 1890-1966) he had a daughter Lila Jean Massie (DOB: 1/18/1926) but I have no other information on his family.

Frank (Franco) Massie (DOB:1898-DOD:May 14, 1943) married Rose.

Louisa Massie (DOB: 12/19/1893-DOD: 1947) married Emilio Zoda on Feb. 11, 1915.

Joseph (Giuseppi) Charles Massie (DOB: 5/10/1902-DOD: 2/3/1995) married Martha Raab.

Mary (Maria Lugia) Massie (DOB: 1/16/1894) married Anthony Grasso.

Vito Massie (DOB: 1904-DOD: 8/12/1909).

There is no record of anyone being naturalized except Charles James Massie on Feb. 19, 1914.

As you can imagine it is a little more difficult since the name was spelled several different ways after they came to the USA: Massi, Masi, Massie.

I would appreciate any help you can give to point me in a direction of finding the birth certificates and marriage certificates for Nicola and Carolina (my great grandparents). I have done a lot of research to find the information. Since much of the family is gone and the rest are reluctant to discuss or don't remember it is more difficult.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Nicola Massi and Carolina Campanella Massi from Forenza

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
you can request their birth, marriage and death certificate to Forenza civil record office

Comune
Ufficio di Stato civile
Corso Grande, 5/a
CAP 85023
Forenza (PZ)
Italy

or contact Archivio di stato di Potenza
http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... POTENZA%22

or rent Forenza civil record microfilm to FHL (mormon church)

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
nicolb

Post by nicolb »

Riccardo,

Thank you so much for the information. I will try your suggestions.

Nikki
mrfishohio

Post by mrfishohio »

We must be related. My mother is the daughter of Charles Massie. "Charles James Massie (November 12, 1890-1966) he had a daughter Lila Jean Massie (DOB: 1/18/1926) but I have no other information on his family." She ( Lila Jean, my mother) died in 1999. His 1st wife passed when she was about 8 and he remarried a woman named Grace. They lived in Rochester, NY Our family moved to Kettering, OH in 1966. Lila Jean had 6 children, 3 boys, 3 girls all still living, so is her husband, our father living at 90 years of age in FL
nicole

Post by nicole »

You are my cousin. I will send you a private message also. I have pictures of Lila Jean and her brother Charles with my dad Nicholas (my dad was their first cousin). He loved Lila Jean and Charles. I spoke with Charles before he passed away. I have a lot of information on the family. Do you know Chip (Charles) Massie? He would be your first cousin.