Help with title or prefix before name?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
shroud97

Help with title or prefix before name?

Post by shroud97 »

Hi everyone, I recently came across a record in which my ancestor, Francesco Giordano, had an abbreviation before his name, which looked like "Mgr:o." His wife appears to have, I assume, a feminine version of this in front of her name, but I can't tell, the ink has been smudged. I have linked the image; his name should be in the center. Would anyone be able to tell me what this means? Thanks very much in advance.

Francesco Giordano
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: Help with title or prefix before name?

Post by JamesBianco »

I have seen this many times in my research, it is not a typical prefix, instead used for specific individuals. Depending upon the era and location, it usually translates to "Magistro" which indicates someone who 1) holds a political office or 2) is an educator of some sort.

That has been my experience at least.

Jim Bianco :)
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

In case you need it for future documents, here is a link to Italian-Latin abbreniations.

http://lnx.bertotti.it/genealogia/modul ... =21&page=1
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
shroud97

Post by shroud97 »

Many thanks to both of you, this is extremely helpful. I found another document for the marriage of Francesco's son where they were both listed as a calzolaio, so perhaps he was a 'master' shoemaker? His son shows up a few years later as proprietario, and remains so until his death, but I'm thinking that was through his wife's dowry.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I believe that is the title of : Magistrato ( judge)

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH