Birth record help needed please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Gailv

Birth record help needed please

Post by Gailv »

Hi.
I'm having trouble understanding a birth record in Italian.
I would appreciate it if someone could take a look at it for me.

I tried uploading it but it says it's too big. So, I put it on my website.
It started on the bottome of one page and continued onto the top of the next.

http://www.genealogygeek.com/Italy2.jpg

http://www.genealogygeek.com/Italy1.jpg

Here's what I got from this:
Child: Michele
Father: Pasquale Ciriello, a farmer ?, from Santa Lucia ?
Mother: Maria Meninno
Born: 1872

I am having trouble with the exact birthdate. And, with all the rest. :)

Thank you.
darcy79

Re: Birth record help needed please

Post by darcy79 »

Dear Gailv,

this is a transcription of Michele Ciriellos’s birth record...

[Italy1]
L’anno 1872, il giorno 21 del mese di aprile nella casa comunale alle ore 10 antimeridiane dinnanzi a me Ambrogio Romano segretario patentato reggente la segreteria di questo comune di Grottaminarda Circondario di Ariano, Provincia di Principato Ultra [?], delegato a compiere le funzioni di Ufficiale dello Stato Civile per gli atti di nascita o di morte dal Signor Regio Delegato Straordinario di questo Comune con atto del 10 aprile corrente anno, ed approvato dal Signor Procuratore del Re ad undici detto mese ed anno.

[Italy2]
E’ comparso Pasquale Ciriello fu Carmine, di anni quarantadue, di professione agricoltore, domiciliato e residente in questo comune alla strada S. Lucia, il quale mi ha presentato un bambino di sesso maschile che dichiara essergli nato nel giorno venti corrente mese alle ore sette pomeridiane dalla di lui moglie Maria Michele Blasi fu Francesco di professione contadina, seco lui domiciliata, e nella casa di sua abitazione posta in detta strada S. Lucia, al quale figlio dichiara di dare il nome di Michele.
La quale dichiarazione viene fatta alla presenza di Luigi Corallo fu …. di anni 56, e di Ciriaco Albanese fu Antonio di anni 66, ambedue di professione scriventi comunali, residenti in questo comune, testimoni scelti dal dichiarante istesso, i quali dopo avere avuto lettura del presente processo verbale steso contemporaneamente sui due registri rigionali, si è da me solo sottoscritto ad eccezione del dichiarante e testimoni perché illetterati.
Ambrogio Romano

So:
Child: Michele Ciriello, born on 20 april 1872, at 7 p.m.
Father: Pasquale Ciriello. He is 42 years old, living in Grottaminarda, at S. Lucia street! He’s a farmer. Illitterate.
Mother: Maria Michele Blasi, living in Grottaminarda, at S. Lucia street! She’s a peasant.

Pasquale father’s name is Carmine
Maria Michele father’s name is Francesco

Kisses
Maria
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Gaily,

Just a note to add to what Maria wrote. The word fu follows the name of Maria and Pasquale. That means the named father is deceased at the date the record was created. If he was alive the word di would have been used.

I have found noting the use or fu or di very helpful in narrowing down dates in my Italian research.

Good luck.
Gailv

Post by Gailv »

Thank you Maria and VaDeb! That was very kind of you to help.
And, you confirmed my suspicions. I was hoping that was the grandparent's names. And, I had the month right but not the number.

Have a wonderful day!

:)