how did my Italian ancestor understand English?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
inejenn
Rookie
Rookie

how did my Italian ancestor understand English?

Post by inejenn »

I have found that my Italian ancestor, Pietro Paulucci, born c1760 in Lucca, came to England c1780 and married here in 1783. He signed his name on the marriage certificate, which indicates he was educated, but I am now curious to know if he would have known any English before coming here? Has anyone any suggestions on this? :?:
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: how did my Italian ancestor understand English?

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
during that time most of people were unable to read and write, those ones attending school were only rich people.
So what I think is that Pietro Paolucci, going to a new country was forced to learn how to speak english, otherwise was really bad for getting job, food, help, friends, partners for job, girlfriend, etc
bye Riccardo
inejenn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by inejenn »

Thanks for that Riccardo, but does this mean Pietro was from a wealthy family? He was an Image Maker but I am not sure what this was. Also, do you know where in Lucca I could search church records as I hope to visit there, perhaps in autumn.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
if Pietro was from a wealthy family, he didn't need to emigrate to UK!
So I think hel earned the language in the street!
If you want to see its church records, you should know at least in what part of the town he was born (during that time baby use to born at home, with the help of a midwife).
Since a lot of babies use to die in a few days, parents wanted to baptise the baby as soon as possible to the closest church of their home,
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
inejenn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by inejenn »

Many thanks Riccardo! I am determined to find out more about Pietro;s birth place and wonder if it might be worth writing to a newspaper in Lucca area to see if any Paulucci families might be able to help? Do you think is a good idea and if so, can anyone tell me how do I find out the address of a newspaper in that area?
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
this are the Paulucci in Tuscany region, no one from Lucca area

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... c=&x=0&y=0

these are the Paolucci in Lucca area

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... c=&x=0&y=0

This is email address of Lucca newspaper (La Nazione)

cronaca.lucca@lanazione.net

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
inejenn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by inejenn »

Many many thanks for the links you sent me, I shall contact the people there. I am so grateful to you for this information, and will keep you informed of my progress! :D
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Ok, good luck for your research
bye Riccardo
inejenn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by inejenn »

Thank you for your help Riccardo (and everyone else), I have received an e mail today but have trouble understanding most of it. I have tried to find out the places mentioned but no success with those either! Any help would be greatly appreciated from anyone.
Thank you and can I just say that the response from the Italian people has been fantastic, I am really proud to have Italian connections in my ancestry.

E Mail received from Italy:

Firenze 24/07/2006

Mia Cara Jennifer, sono sorpreso, e nello stesso tempo interessato quanto lei per la sua ricerca di dati Genealogici.

Io mi chiamo Igino Paulucci e porto il nome di mio nonno.Per quello che so’ e che noi discendiamo dai Paulucci De Calboli e siamo di sangue bleu perche’ Marchesi. Proveniamo da Calboli che era una piccola Frazione di Forli’ Noi infatti abbiamo avuto origine da Forli

E’ vero che poi i rami dell’albero si sono estesi in Campania in Toscana e nel Lazio.

Io come Lei desidero avere notizie piu’ dettagliate sulla nostra famglia chissa’ se un giorno ci riusciremo.

Dimenticavo di dirle che le sue ricerche perche’ possano produrre piu’ frutti andranno indirizzate Forli. Dove vi sono piazze e vie intitolate ai Paulucci de Calcoli.

Salutini cordiali e a presto Igino Paulucci