help,having trouble tracing 'Stillitano',for my family tree

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kimmie

help,having trouble tracing 'Stillitano',for my family tree

Post by kimmie »

Can anyone give me any clue's where to start, I'm trying to do my family tree on my mothers side, and they were from Florence, called Stillitano, But, I don't understand Italian, therefore, I'm having trouble on the Italian web sites,and cannot seem to trace any sign of them!!

Can anyone please help??

Kimmie. :?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Kimmie there are 292 persons in Italy that have the Stillitano surname. ^0% are in Calabria and Sicilky region while there are only 5 for the entire region of Tuscany and only two in the Florence province. One of the two in the Florence Province is in the city iotself and the other is in Scandicci a town outside of Florence. The remaining three are in ther Provinces of Grosetto, Pisa and Pistoia in the Tuscany region. If you go to www.paginebianche.it and put in the Stillitano surname in the first line and put in either FI for the the entire province or just Florence and thenScandicci in order to get the name,address and telephone number of the persons sunramed Stiullitano in the Florence area. Peter
kimmie

Post by kimmie »

Thanks for that, Peter, It has helped alot :lol: , But now I have disscovered, my Great Grandfather WAS called Salvidor Stillitano, but he was born in Capri and Not Florence as 1st thought :? And that he had two brothers, Constance and Hannibal, and one sister, Camilla. :!: Camilla moved to London in 1899, But that is where i come to a halt, :( I cannot understand Italian, and I'm having trouble tracing further back the tree!! :cry:

Are there any other tips you(or anyone else) can give me :?:
thankyou, Kimmie. :wink:
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

First of all the name is SALVATORE (Salvidor is spanish). If he was born in Capri then you need to write to Capril for his birth record But you need his full name and birth date or birth year and write to Ufficio di Stato Civile, Postale80073, Comune di Capri (also another letter to Anacapri 80071 which is second village oin the Isle of Capri and rerquesting a birth record. You have to send it in Italian by sending a form letter which you will get from www.circolo calabrese.org/resources/index.asp along with a self addressed envelope and $5.00 in a postal coupon or international bank check which is suggested by the Mormon church. If he was born in either village on the Island of Capri you will get his birth record and then you will know if he was indeed born there.\ But let me suggest that since you do not know Italian and you want to know more about creating a family tree that you buy or borrow from a library a book ITALIAN GENEALOGICAL RECORDS by Traffor R. Cole which will explain what to do in order to creat a family tree. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Post script: If you go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Stillitano in the firsat line and SA in the third line and click CERCA (in red) a listing will come up of a woman surnamed Stillitano to whom you may wish to write a letter asking her if she is related to you. You can either go to your local high school that teaches Italian or a local college or a lnaguage school . If that is not feasible then write a very simple sentence letter in english since english is the second language in Italy and taught in the schools. Keep the letter very simple if you write in english. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

SA is for the propvince of Salerno and this is the only Stillitano that is within the area that the Island of Capri is located which is in the adjoing province of Napoli (Naples) and if she is related to yhour family then she would possibly know something of youir family. Its a chance but it is worth taking. Peter
kimmie

Post by kimmie »

Peter you are a little star :P Thankyou so much, I'll look into it and let you know how I get on :D
Kimmie
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

please do. Peter