Naples

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
scorpione
Rookie
Rookie

Naples

Post by scorpione »

Hi,
I have only visited Naples once so I would appreciare some advice. I may spend some time there next year ,using it as a home base for study in Caivano 9 miles away as well as Pontelatone and Formicola and perhaps Picerno. Could any body recommend an area of Naples that is very safe , conveniently located for these trips, and not prohibitively expensive.Also any suggestions on leisure activies in that area for times when I am not doing research and my lovely wife wants to do the tourist thing (and so do I). Thanks Scorpione
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Naples

Post by nuccia »

Hi..

You might want to try posting under theLocations in Italy Board...Perhaps you will get a response to your question. :D

Have a great weekend!

Nuccia :D
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

You could also try a site called slowtravel.it

This is run by amateur, but very knowledgeable, travellers who can give help and advice - on their forum - to anyone about travelling in Italy. They do not do any genealogical work, just travel, location and hoiliday information and guidance. Most members are English speakers and many are American and English. They also have a number of Italians too.

Give it a 'browse' and ask your question there!

elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
CDRome

Post by CDRome »

Naples is generally not that unsafe of a place as most people imagine. And it is positively one of the most beautiful places in Italy, not to mention the food and the people.

If you want budget accomodation in Naples, try the area extending from Via Costantinopoli to the Duomo, right in the heart of Naples. This area used to be unsafe, but things have got a lot better over the past few years, though you should still try and not look too touristy.

My favorite hotel in Naples is Fontane a Mare. It sits on the seafront, between the Villa Comunale and Castel dell'Ovo, where the city's grandest hotels are, and enjoys the same incomparable views over the Bay of Naples and the island of Capri right in front of the hotel. Ask for the rooms that have a view.

The hotel itself is quite shabby, though clean, and the best rooms have no private bathroom (the best one is the room on the corner, with views, from the bed, over Capri and Castel dell'Ovo). But nothing beats the price and the location.

The best day trips from Naples are to Capri, Ischia, Pompei and Herculaneum, the Vesuvius (climb up to the crater for breathtaking views), and the Costiera Amalfitana. Don't forget Ravello either.

In Naples, make sure to visit the Capodimonte museum, the Palazzo Reale, Villa Floridiana, Mergellina, the Archaeological museum (after you've been to Pompei and Herculaneum), and Posillipo.

Hope that helps.

CDRome
The Italian Press Digest is your source for Italian news in English. Visit us today at www.ItalianPressDigest.com