Cristina Di Muro probably from Melfi or Rapola

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
msamario

Cristina Di Muro probably from Melfi or Rapola

Post by msamario »

Hi!

I am looking for more information on Cristina Di Muro. She was most likely born in Melfi or Rapolla.

Her year of birth is 1892. She married Luigi Sammario in Montreal, Quebec, Canada in 1912.

I have her parents as being: Michele Di Muro and Concetta Amendola.

I have not been able to find any record as to when she came to North America. Can someone please help me!!!

Thanks in advance,

Mike
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Cristina Di Muro probably from Melfi or Rapola

Post by nuccia »

I found this manifest..not dure if it helps..

First Name: CRISTINA
Last Name: DIMURO
Ethnicity: ITALIAN SOUTH
Last Place of Residence: MELFI
Date of Arrival: May 08, 1905
Age at Arrival: 16Y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Citta di Napoli
Port of Departure: NAPOLI
Manifest Line Number: 0006

http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... &dwpdone=1

and this one which is interesting..

First Name: Concetta
Last Name: Amendola
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: Melfi, Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan 23, 1924
Age at Arrival: 54 Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Colombo
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0013

travelling with the Di Muros

Concetta Amendola

Page 2
Nuccia :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

The above manifest definitely looks like Cristinas parents and brother going to Montreal to see Luigi Sammario.

Need to go to work.. :cry:

Nuccia
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Great Nuccia! kisses, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
msamario

Post by msamario »

Hi Nuccia,

Thanks for the help! :)

I had already found the record for Cristina Di Muro's parents (Concetta Amendola and Michele Di Muro). That record is correct and they were visiting Luigi Sammario (her husband). Also, two of Cristina's brothers were travelling with them (Giuseppe and Biagio).

Unfortunately, I am not too sure about the record for Cristina DiMuro listed on the Ellis Island website. The record has her father listed as Alessandro instead of Michele Di Muro. Also the age does not match since I have Cristina being born in 1892. This means she would have been 13 and not 16. I had looked at the record over and over.

It may be possible that it is her since there are no other Cristina Di Muro's listed and... When looking at the manifest, I noticed that she was with a friend, Giovanni Ferraro. I know that the Ferraro family did have some links with the Sammario and Di Muro families. Perhaps she lied about her age and perhaps the father that is listed on the manifest is actually Giovanni Ferraro's father. I guess this would be a big mystery. I have been trying to figure this one out for 2 years.

In my previous post, I should have not said that I could not find any record of a "Cristina Di Muro". Instead, I should have wrote that I could not confirm the one record that is listed on Ellis Island.

If you have any other ideas or know of any other resources I can check, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I guess you've seen this too..

First Name: Luigi
Last Name: Sammario
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Rapolla, Potenza
Date of Arrival: Jul 02, 1907
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: M Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Italia
Manifest Line Number: 0023

Luigi

His name is crossed out so we'll see if theres another manifest somewhere. It may hold some clues.

msamario

Post by msamario »

Hi Nuccia,

Yes I did find that same Ellis Island record for Luigi Sammario. I am sure that it is him? I was wondering why his name was crossed off. I did not find any record of him coming back later.

The 1911 Canadian Census has the following info for him:
-- Immigration yr: 1908 (I have him going through Ellis Island on July 2, 1907)

-- Birth July 1889 (This would correspond to the Ellis Island record)

It's too bad he got married after the 1911 Canadian Census. It would of helped me in figuring out Cristina Di Muro's Immigration year.

Thanks again,

Mike
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

No... he is not the father... maybe the Godfather?? ay comba...
msamario wrote: Unfortunately, I am not too sure about the record for Cristina DiMuro listed on the Ellis Island website. The record has her father listed as Alessandro instead of Michele Di Muro. Also the age does not match since I have Cristina being born in 1892. This means she would have been 13 and not 16. I had looked at the record over and over.

It may be possible that it is her since there are no other Cristina Di Muro's listed and... When looking at the manifest, I noticed that she was with a friend, Giovanni Ferraro. I know that the Ferraro family did have some links with the Sammario and Di Muro families. Perhaps she lied about her age and perhaps the father that is listed on the manifest is actually Giovanni Ferraro's father. I guess this would be a big mystery. I have been trying to figure this one out for 2 years.

Mike
Was wondering if you had noticed the notation " with uncle on List K #11 " on the far right of her manifest....

Cristina's manifest

So... here is list "K" ... you will notice the "K" on top right of manifest...

Now check out line #11... here's a few of Cristina's relatives..

Uncle's info.. on same ship...

First Name: ANTONIO

(would be joining son Alessandro.. same addy that was listed for Cristina...)

Last Name: MOLINO
Ethnicity: ITALIAN SOUTH
Last Place of Residence: MELFI
Date of Arrival: May 08, 1905
Age at Arrival: 41Y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Citta di Napoli
Port of Departure: NAPOLI
Manifest Line Number: 0011

Alessandro Molino is probably her Godfather too...

Also look at the other person on line 23 ... Mauro Di Muro... is he related to Cristina?... it lists Alessandro as his Godfather...
In my previous post, I should have not said that I could not find any record of a "Cristina Di Muro". Instead, I should have wrote that I could not confirm the one record that is listed on Ellis Island.
Hope this helps determine whether to keep looking or confirm whether this is the correct person or not..

But whoever this Alessandro was ... he certainly opened his home to a few...
------------------

futher...

First Name: Aslessandro (who travels with father)
Last Name: Molino
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Melfi
Date of Arrival: Sep 05, 1902
Age at Arrival: 17y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Citta di Milano
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0009

Alessandro's manifest 1902

---------------------

First Name: Alessandro (travels with wife)
Last Name: Molino
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Melfi, Potenza
Date of Arrival: Jul 08, 1909
Age at Arrival: 24y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Prinzess Irene
Manifest Line Number:

Page 1

Page 2

Maria
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Maria,

Just learned something new, again Thanks To You! :D :D

Hopefully this will explain the missing link Mike...can't wait for his answer! :D

mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Ya me too, eh?...

I'm glad he never gave up on that manifest... plus I'm glad he posted here at this forum... we've got a great team here!

Nuccia, I read your reply to him about the chances of there being another manifest for Luigi... since his name was crossed off the list.

So I started looking ... but after a few minutes (with no luck) I thought I'd take a look at Cristina's instead and noticed the faint writing... (what a great "link").... love it when the record keepers do these notations... just opens up a whole new room...

It may mean he may have to look all over again.... or may mean that he's had the right much younger person afterall....

I wonder what route he'll take next... 8)

I hope he comes back soon... I do have a Canadian joke for him... :lol:

Maria :P
msamario

Post by msamario »

Hi Nuccia and Maria!

Thanks a lot!!!!!! If I am understanding correctly, the "Alessandro" that is listed in Cristina Di Muro's Ellis Island record is actually her "godfather" and not her "father". I did not realize the significance of the note on the right hand side of the page. I saw the word uncle, but I could not make out the rest. Thanks!

So it would appear from the other linked records on page k that the "Alessandro" is not a "DiMuro", but a "Molino" instead. This gives me hope that perhaps this is the correct Cristina.

As for Mauro DiMuro, I am not sure if he is her brother since I do not have the names of all her siblings.

I will have to further investigate the Molino family. This is exciting.

So... what is the Canadian joke you want to tell me!

P.S. If you figure anything out about her husband Luigi Sammario, let me know.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Good Morning..

Your summary is exactly how I see it... the next challenge would be to find Luigi's manifest... I'm sure someone here at the forum will help look.

Wonder why he didn't board...

As for the joke... 8)

How do you spell Canada??

C....eh?....N...eh?....D....eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maria :P
msamario

Post by msamario »

Hi Maria,

I always thought the line through his name ment he was refused entry... I did not realize that he never boarded on that ship. Hmmm.... I'm still learning!!!!

I know he had to have come into Canada close to 1908 since that is the year given in the 1911 Canadain Census as his immigration year. I guess I'm going to have to go through all the ship manifests of 1907 and 1908 and hope to find him. His name was probably badly transcribed. Wish me luck. Now to find a list of those ships that docked in NY in 1907 and 1908! lol

Thanks again,

Mike

P.S. The joke was cute! lol
msamario

Post by msamario »

Hi!

I have had to resort to go through the ship manifest images (1907-1908) page by page in order to find the passenger record for my great-grandfather Luigi Sammario. I feel like I'm not getting anywhere since there are literally thousands of pages.

I originally tried all kinds of name variations and mis-spellings hoping I would find the record.

It's too bad that the record in 1907 was not valid since he did not bord the ship for some reason. (see previous posts in this thread).

Here is my question... Is there a better way or does anybody have any tricks or ideas on hw I can find the record?

I at least know that it was in the second half of 1907 or in 1908. The 1911 Canadian Census has the immigration year listed as 1908.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Mike
ksamariomiville

Post by ksamariomiville »

Hi !
I just gave a look at that name, Cristina Di Muro because I've learned today that she was my father grandmother so, she and her Luigi Sammario are also my great grandparents. My father knew them when he was a child. He was born 1959. From what he just told me our grand grandmother was a really amazing woman. If you have question about them, I can ask him and get back to you ! (I'm sorry if my english is a bit bad I'm french and my phone is trying it's best to correct everything I write).

I also realised that I'm 17 years late to answer, if you're still looking here and are still interested, don't hesitate to reach out !