DiClemente (Serramonacesca), Marchegiano (Casalincontrada)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
clmnts5

DiClemente (Serramonacesca), Marchegiano (Casalincontrada)

Post by clmnts5 »

Hello ... If anyone has any information regarding these families or towns, I would love to hear from you. My grandfather Giovanni DiClemente (b. 1883) left Serramonacesca for America in 1902. He went back to Italy in 1907 and returned to the US in 1909. His father's name was Francesco. His mother (first name unknown) was a DiFillipo, perhaps from Bucchianico.

His wife Rosa Marchegiano was born in 1885 and was from the neighboring town of Casalincontrada. I believe she may have had at least two brothers: Raffaele (b. 1875-76) and Donato (1880-81).
My grandmother came to America to join my grandfather in 1911. They settled in Camden, NJ and had 8 children, including my father William.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: DiClemente (Serramonacesca), Marchegiano (Casalincontrad

Post by nuccia »

Hi There,

What documents do you already have? Have you already located ship manifests for your grandparents...you seem to have a lot of info. Are you also interested in viewing records from the US?

Just want to make sure we give you what you're looking for. :D

nuccia :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Could this be your Rosa..?

First Name: Rosa
Last Name: Marchegeani
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Serramonacesan, Italy
Date of Arrival: Oct 30, 1911
Age at Arrival: 27y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Ancona
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0010

Rosa Page 1

Antonio 6 yrs, Gasperino 4 yrs and Nicola 3 yrs old are all listed with her surname.

Page 2

Travels with children and lists father in law as Francesco..going to see Giovanni DiClemente living at 819 south 4rth St

Nuccia
clmnts5

Post by clmnts5 »

Thank you for your response! I have ship's manifest for my grandfather's 1909 arrival at Ellis Island but not his original trip in 1901-02. The 1909 manifest states he was in US previously from 1902-07 and was from Serramonacesca. Family oral history (very vague and secretive) is that he originally came to US through Canada and may have been deported back to Italy (or perhaps deported from Italy). I have his US death certificate stating his father's name as "Frank" and his mother's maiden name as DeFillippo (no first name).

I have ship's manifest for my grandmother in 1911, showing her last residence as Serramonacesca but her birthplace as Casalincontrada. Her closest relative in Italy was listed as her father-in-law, Francesco Di Clemente of Serramonacesca. Family oral history is that her oldest three children, who came over with her, were not the children of my grandfather, but I have other no last name for them. Story is that she was the "wife of a friend" and that my grandfather married her after the friend died. I have her US death certificate (parents listed as unknown). On her 1911 voyage to Camden NJ, she was traveling with Emilia (Zappacosta) DeFillipo of Bucchianico. She was the wife of Camillo DeFillipo, my grandfather's cousin, who was already living in Camden, NJ/

I have ship's manifests for Raffaeel Marchegiano and Donato Marchegiano who were from Casalincontrada and also lived in Camden NJ. I belive these were my grandmother's brothers. I do not know this for sure but my father referred to their children as his "cousins", and to Donato's wife as Aunt Lizzie.

I have ordered microfilm for Casalincontrada covering 1871-1894 and expect to have it by end August. I have also ordered microfilm for Serramonacesca for 1845-1865 (the latest they have). My grandfather Giovanni was not born until 1883, but I hope to find a birth record of his father Francesco.
clmnts5

Post by clmnts5 »

Possible, but I don't think this is the same person. When Giovanni came over in 1909, his destination was Philadelphia, PA to visit his "cousin, Vincenzo DeFillipo". When my grandmother came in 1911, she was coming to "her husband, Giovanni DiClemente, in Camden, NJ" which is right across the river (less than 1 km) from Philadelphia but about 100 km or more from Newark, NJ, which is closer to New York.

Also, family oral history (unreliable, I know) is that my grandfather had only one sister, and that she remained in Italy (he supposedly signed over to her his rights to a farm, but again this all oral)

The birthdate is off (1886 vs 1883), but I know that doesn't mean much.

Thank you very much for the information, though. I will keep it in mind, as I don't have any definitive record of where Giovanni was in 1910, and it could conceivably be him.
clmnts5

Post by clmnts5 »

Yes, this is most DEFINITELY my grandmother ... this is the ship's manifest record that I referred to. All the details, names and birthdates match 100% EXCEPT little "Antonio" would actually be my AUNT "Jeannette" (Antonia or Antonietta) who later had children of her own. I can only assume this was a clerical error! :D

The birthdates for Rosa's two older children occur at a time when my grandfather was in the United States (1905-07), which fits with the family story that those two had another father . My Uncle "Nick", the youngest on the manifest, was born in 1908 -- while my grandfather apparently was in Italy -- so Giovanni DiClemente could be his father. My father "Guglielmo" was Rosa's fourth child -- born in Camden NJ 1913.

Thanks.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

sent you a PM..

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

We really need to see the 1909 manifest... it may help us further....

Can you tell us how it was indexed... or can you link it for us..

There's way too many Clementes out there...

Maria
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

My Pm to clmnts5 didn't go through..looks like someone may have already done some research on your family...

Individual Record FamilySearchâ„¢ Pedigree Resource File

Search Results
Rose MARCHEGIANO Compact Disc #22 Pin #68744
Sex: F
Event(s):
Birth: 5 Mar 1885 Place: Chieti, Abruzzi, Italy
Death: 1 May 1970 Place: Pennsauken, NJ
Burial: Place: New St. Mary's Bellmawr, NJ
Parents:
Marriage(s):
Spouse: John (Giovanni) CLEMENTS (DICLEMENTI) Disc #22 Pin #68745
Marriage: Place:

Personal Information:
Notes and Sources:

theres more but let me know if you need it...I didn't include the submitter in case its personal info..

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

1909 manifest?

Giovanni Di Clemente
SS Louisiane
20 Mar 1909
from Havre
page 1
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0018
page 2
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0018

for reference:
25? yrs old, married, farm laborer
read/write - no
last residence Serramonacesca
father Fco? Francesco? in Serramonacesca, Chieti?
going to Phila, PA
in Phila 1902-7
joining cousin Vincenzo (?) Felippo? at 1228 10th St, Phila, PA
5'5" deep complexion
b in Serramonacesca

note: may travelling with line 19
Antonio Della Vecchia
joining b-i-l Vincenzo (?) Felippo?
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Vj,

Maria just finished saying that you would probably find this manifest... :lol: :lol:

Nice work..as always! I think we could all learn from you.

Care to share your secret..or do you just have the patience of a Saint? :D

Hugs
nuccia :D
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Thanks vj.

Just "refreshed" my page and POOF.. a manifest!!

It does say 1902 -1907....

Just wanted to make sure it was on the right line... right person...

Wouldn't hurt at this point to look for another ships record...

Maria
clmnts5

Post by clmnts5 »

Maria (and Nuccia and Valarie and whomever else) ... I see you have found the 1909 Ellis Island Louisiane manifest for Giovanni. The other things that are turning up were almost certainly posted by me. It is back in Italy (Serramonacesca and Casalincontrada) that I have little or no information. As mentioned, I have finally found that the Mormons have Stato Civile records for both towns, and I have ordered them. Thanks!
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

But wait.... aren't you looking for the 1902 manifest...?

Maria
clmnts5

Post by clmnts5 »

Yes ... if there IS a 1902 (or maybe 1901) manifest to be found. I know Giovanni was born in 1883. In 1909 he says he was in the US before, from 1902 to 1907. Family oral history says "he came down through Canada" and something about being deported. That sounds to me like perhaps he came to the US illegally from Canada, was caught and sent back to Italy in 1907, and then returned in 1909. But were they really pursuing and deporting illegal immigrants in 1907? Maybve he did something to be deported. Maybe he came in under a different name (but then why would he admit to that in 1909. Maybe he was he deported from Italy? Maybe I should have asked him when he was still alive (but he would have said -- if he said anything -- "what do you want to know THAT for?" :) )