Costers in Maine and England

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Costers in Maine and England

Post by cerg »

Hello Everyone!

I am posting some information that my mother needs help with, she is looking for a James Coster born around 1818-1820 in she believes London England. She does not know when he came to the US but he settled in Penobscot Maine with his wife Susan Bailey Coster and their children. All the children were born in Maine. She knows that they later moved to Michigan. What she is trying to find is information on when James arrived and who his parents were and if he had any brothers and sisters. If anyone could help it would be great! Thank you for help!!

Kristina
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Costers in Maine and England

Post by cerg »

Hello Again,

I forgot to post some other information. James Coster Married Susan bailey in Sept. of 1845. She thinks that James and Susan and their children moved to Michigan around 1965. So James would had to of came here proir to 1845. I do not think she could find him on any census records for 1840, but I am not sure of that. If you need anymore info let me know, she does not have alot of it on him.

thanks,
Kristina
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Could this be your James?

1850 United States Federal Census Record
about James Coster
Name: James Coster
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1820
Birth place: England
Home in 1850
(City,County,State): Lowell, Penobscot, Maine

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/5866/imagexqs4.jpg
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

1860 United States Federal Census Record
about James W Coster
Name: James W Coster
Age in 1860: 41
Birth Year: abt 1819
BirthPlace: England
Home in 1860: Lincoln, Penobscot, Maine
Post Office: Lincoln
Value of real estate: View image
Household Members:
Name Age
James W Coster 41
Eliza Coster 34
Martha Coster 14
Mariah Coster 11
William Coster 9
Aba Coster 8
Hannah Coster 5
Thomas Coster 1

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/5900/imagexuj1.jpg

Elizabeth and Susan could be the same person...Martha and Margaret..Maria and Mariah...

Let us know..
nuccia :D
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

Nuccia,

Yes, this is the James that I am talking about. She is trying to locate when he came here and where he came from. Also his parents, I have looked at the census and I know that he had more kids then that but they must have been born later.

Kristina
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

Nuccia,

Sorry I had not refreshed my page, I did not see your last post with the kids names yes that is him . When they came to michigan we found alot more information on them here, but nothing that mentions their past at all. She also can not find any records for their daughter Hannah coster. she was listed on a census with them here in michigan but then she could not find anything. She has a letter that was written from Susan to a John Howe who was Hannah's husband saying that she was sorry to hear the Hannah had died the letter was dated Jan 14 1898. But nothing that we find mentions his parents or when he came here. Thank you for your help!

Kristina
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Perhaps him in th 1880 Census..

1880 United States Federal Census Record
about James Coster
Name: James Coster
Home in 1880: Big Rapids, Mecosta, Michigan
Relation to head-of-household: Self
Spouses's Name: Susan
Father's birthplace: ENG
Mother's birthplace: ENG
Neighbors: View others on page
Marital status: Married
Race: White
Cannot read/write:

Blind:

Deaf and dumb:

Otherwise disabled:

Idiotic or insane:

View image
Household Members:
Name Age
James Coster 60
Susan Coster 56
Joseph Coster 16

http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/8148/imagexrq7.jpg

Not sure about this 1870 census...seems off but I posted anyway and we can always delete it later..I'll keep looking for another one though.

1870 United States Federal Census Record
about Wm Coster
Name: Wm Coster
Age in 1870: 50
Home in 1870: Taylor, Dubuque, Iowa
Family and Neighbors: View Results
Race: White
Value of real estate: View Image
Post Office: Peosta

http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/4800/imagexwy0.jpg

nuccia
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hannah..will look for records..

Have you seen all these records then...I thought I'd post them and see if we can piece them together. I know there was a big epidemic which killed several people...

Lets see what we can find..
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

Nuccia,

In 1860 Hannah was 5 years old. The 1880 I believe is correct they lived in Big rapids, Mecosta County Michigan. I have my mothers book of all the information tha she was so I am trying to go thriugh it as you post. I know that she has court papers that say in 1911 james and Suan were placed in a pooor farm. They had a grandson named Arthur Scriver who asked to appointed their guardian. The court did not allow that for some reason and a gentleman that I have not heard the name as being family was appointed their guardian instead. The family also said that they think that Hannah and her Husband John lived around the Newberry, Michigan area by the Two-Hearted River. I will post more as I read. Thank you

Kristina
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

cerg wrote:Nuccia,

In 1860 Hannah was 5 years old. The 1880 I believe is correct they lived in Big rapids, Mecosta County Michigan. I have my mothers book of all the information tha she was so I am trying to go thriugh it as you post. I know that she has court papers that say in 1911 james and Suan were placed in a pooor farm. They had a grandson named Arthur Scriver who asked to appointed their guardian. The court did not allow that for some reason and a gentleman that I have not heard the name as being family was appointed their guardian instead. The family also said that they think that Hannah and her Husband John lived around the Newberry, Michigan area by the Two-Hearted River. I will post more as I read. Thank you

Kristina
Sorry..I realized her age and tried to correct my last post. Can you tell us what census records and other records you already have?

I'm only poting everything becasue I need to follow it otherwise I'll be lost! :oops: I'm horrible that way. I'm curious about Hannah too now.. :wink:
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

Nuccia,

I am going through my mother things right now, here is what I have found so far:

1880 census Big Rapids
1850 census Maine
1900 census Mecosta County ( listing James and Suan as boarders of a Peter Rochon)
1860 census Lincoln Maine
1870 census Mecosta County (listing James W.,Susan,Martha,Thomas,James,and Joseph

Also 1880 Census mecosta county (John and Hannah Howe

Marriage record for James W. Coster and Susan Bailey sept. 8,1845 in Lincoln Maine.

Death records for James and Susan

James W. Coster Died feb. 6, 1914 he was 95 years 10 months and 29days old. Born in London England is does not list parents

Susan Coster died may 28, 1913 she was 89 years 9 months and 8 days old. she was born in maine and her parents were Geo. Bailey and Susan Bailey.

I also have their obits. but no onformation inthem just their kids names

That is what I have found so far.... I would say mainly looking for 1890 census,arrival records,and locating Hannah after 1880. Thanks for all the help!

Kristina
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Well Cristina,

Looks like the 1890 census have not been completed indexed by ancestry so there could be a problem with that. I have been trying to go thru arrival records but they also may be hard to located from then..will try though.

If anyone has any other suggestions or would like to help, please jump in!

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

Nuccia,

Thank you for your help, I will let you know if I find anything else in her mess of papers!!!

Kristina
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

Hello everyone!

My mother wantedme to add another family to her post. This is the Leston family. Here is the information that she has:

Soril A. Letson was married to Elizabeth A. Hammond date of marriage unknown. They had the following children:

Orwin D. Dec. 7, 1866- May 15, 1875
Oliver A. Aug. 21, 1868- May 13, 1875
Burt M. Sept. 11 1869 - Unknown
Myrtle B. Sept. 11, 1869 - May 20, 1875
Mary S. Oct. 13, 1871- July 28, 1872
Mira Oct. 13, 1871- Oct. 31, 1871
Nonia Oct. 13, 1871 - Oct. 13, 1871
Loren S. Jan. 6, 1875- May 25, 1875
Cora B. Dec. 16, 1876 - June 25, 1940
Hamilton Mar. 30, 1880 - unknown
Tena April 16, 1882 - unknown
Andrew Unknown - unknown

Cora B. Letson married James M. Coster on Dec. 12, 1892 in Isabella County Michigan. She is looking to fill in the Unknowns and possibly find out the reason why they had so many children that died so close together and so young. According to family, the Letson family lived on a farm in Isabella County Michigan.

The only records of this family that she has is what is listed above. She has information on Cora and James children also. Thank you guys for any help that you can give.

Kristina
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

nuccia wrote:Well Cristina,

Looks like the 1890 census have not been completed indexed by ancestry so there could be a problem with that. I have been trying to go thru arrival records but they also may be hard to located from then..will try though.

If anyone has any other suggestions or would like to help, please jump in!

nuccia
Hi Nuccia,

Most of the 1890 federal census was destroyed in a fire. It is being reconstructed through tax records & other records.

Hope this helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.