Translation help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Chatterbox

Translation help

Post by Chatterbox »

When I was a child, my grandparents usto call me "chuckalona", I know thats not spelled right. But I was told it always ment "chatterbox, or one who talks alot. Its this right? Anyone know?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

it is chiaccherona. Peter
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maurizio »

Hi. May I ask you which part of Italy your grandparents were from? This seems to be not an Italian but a vernacular world, coming from a northrne Italian Dialect: but the meanings are differents in venetian and in Piedmontese dialect.
Ciao, Maurizio
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

My Italian dictionary shows Chiacchierone as a chatterbox. I was in error in ending it with an a instead of an e. Since this word is used extensively in southern italy as well and appears in the official Short Italian dictionary by Alfred A. Hoare one can safely say it is a universal word.

How are you doing Maurizio. Good to hear from you. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

My Italian dictionary shows Chiacchierone as a chatterbox. I was in error in ending it with an a instead of an e. Since this word is used extensively in southern italy as well and appears in the official Short Italian dictionary by Alfred A. Hoare one can safely say it is a universal word.

How are you doing Maurizio. Good to hear from you. Peter
Chatterbox

Post by Chatterbox »

Thank you! This is so interesting.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

lets see what Maurizio comes up with. Peter
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maurizio »

Hello to both of you.
English and Italian languages have so different pronunciation for vowels that it's always a problem (for me, at least) to correctly interpretate a phonetic transcription of a word.
Chatterbox wrote "Chuckalona": and the sound I figure for it may be written with Italian letter with "Ciacolona" or "Ciucaluna": the first one is a word from Venetian dialect, meaning "Chiacchierona" (a female person who never stops talking); the second word is typical of Piemontese dialect, meaning someone (female) who likes very much wine and who's never sober (but it may be extensively used with affection as a pet name, especially with children, to mark their tendence to speak a lot and with no pretence or hiding, just like drunk people do).
That's why I ask Chatterbox where her grandparents came from. In any case, Peter suggested a good translation which fully reflects the loving and tender intention of this pet name.
Ciao, Maurizio
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

what a nice guy!! Pete