Long-lost relative to be found...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tlc1934

Long-lost relative to be found...

Post by tlc1934 »

I am trying to locate a long-lost relative. Here is what I do know.

My great-grandfather Gaetano Dalessandro was from Ariano di Puglia and came through Ellis Island in the early 1920s. He married a woman named Carmela at the island and the two had a child by the name of Flora between 1922-1925. Flora returned to Italy to be raised by cousins and uncles, Carmela died, and Gaetano married my great-grandmother Rosa Olivieri. We are trying to find out more information as to the whereabouts of Flora. Please help! My grandfather is turning 80 next month and he'd love nothing more than to find out! Thanks so much!

Marlena
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Long-lost relative to be found...

Post by nuccia »

Have you tried to use the Italian White Pages???

Pagine Bianche

Theres several hits for your surname.

nuccia :D
tlc1934

Post by tlc1934 »

Wow, there are quite a lot of entries with that surname! Unfortunately, I wouldn't even know where to begin. Flora was kept a secret until my mother uncovered some letters in an old trunk. She had them translated and we found out about Flora. She had sent letters to Gaetano for some 12 years, and then it seems as though contact was lost. My grandfather has never met his family in Italy, and is unaware of any of their names :(
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

"My grandfather has never met his family in Italy, and is unaware of any of their names"

Marlena,
Did you want us to try to find records of other relatives of your
g-grandfather (anything is possible!)
What family records do you already have?
(birth, marriage, death certificates, ship manifests, census,
military, etc)
vj :wink:

census example:
possible 1930 US Census
click here 1930 dalessandro census
Newark, Essex, NJ
294 Sussex Ave, rents $40 mo
- head Angelina Oliveri, 60 (1870) , widow, b in Italy,
immig 1896 Al
- daughter Rose Dalessandro, 23 (1907), 1st marriage 19 (1926),
b in NJ, parents b in Italy
- son-in-law Thomas Dalessandro Sr, 30 (1900),
1st marriage 23 (1923), b in Italy, immig 1920 Pa, painter - building
- gr-son Thomas Dalessandro Jr, 3 yrs 5 mos (1926), b in NJ
- gr-daughter Molly A Dalessandro, 1 yr 11 mos (1928), b in NJ
- gr-daughter Dorothy Dalessandro, 3 mos (1929), b in NJ
- gr-daughter Angelina Oliveri, 15 (1915), b in NJ
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Great website for New York records:
http://www.italiangen.org/databaselist.stm
If any of these look possible, this website provides a
form to fill out and mail for original records (small fee)
(just drill down into the databases for the forms)

NYC Marriage Index
D'Alessandro Gaetano (married )Dec 10 1920 Manhattan 1555 D425
D'Alessandro Gaetano (married) Mar 5 1919 Manhattan 9489 D425

NYC Death Index
D'Alesandro Carmela (age) 21 y (died) Jan 15 1924 405 Bronx D425
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

I believe you have only two choices. One would be to call everyone you found on those Italian web pages. That would be costly and wouldnt work if you arent fluent in Italian.

But..you could write them.

If you cant write Italian, get someone to write a letter for you. Explain what you just did here..then send a copy to each D'Alessandro in the Italian white pages for that town.

I know what you mean about the name D'Alessandro. I have that name in my family..well..my husbands. Its his mothers maiden name..and whenever I do searches, I come up with loads of them..and the name isnt concentrated to one area in Italy, nor the usa..they are all over..lol

Many years ago, when I began genealogy, when we only had aol and prodigy services for online contact, I recall a woman doing just what I said. She managed to get the italian white pages for her town, and wrote everyone with the same surname. That worked for her..someone replied and she found her person.

You do realize that Flora would be well into her 80s now and possibly not even alive.

I would take a chance and write..you have nothing to lose but time and some stamps.
tlc1934

Post by tlc1934 »

VJ--that has to be Carmela! It's interesting to learn that she died in the Bronx, since we thought she was already back in Italy. We also believe that the missing aunt--Flora--was born in Italy. Do you think Carmela's death certificate would've included Flora on it? The 1930 seems about 90% accurate. That is great to see...very cool! The other family records we have are the ship manifest (which is how we found out Carmela's name)--but it would be interesting if we could find out more about Carmela; for example her surname. We have Gaetano's death certificate, but no mention of Flora. We also have his military records. Also, finding some other relatives in what used to be Ariano di Puglia would be great. This is a story that was put to bed in 1926 and we're finally uncovering it. How cool.

Thank you so much for your help!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

If you do not know Italian, here is a standard form letter to use.....

http://www.anzwers.org/free/italiangen/ ... #relatives

wldspirit
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

Wow, David's stuff has been around a long time. He used to be on some Italian mailing list that I used. I dont think its around anymore. He translated some things for me about 7 years ago.

Thats a great letter he has there..he didnt leave anything out.

I would try that.

While I am on the subject of years ago..I believe edmondo had a surname list that we all could add our people to. I recall adding people one at a time..using some type form. I believe this was longer than 7 years ago.

I want to say it was at closer to 10 years ago.

Oops..sorry for hijacking your thread.