curious about a website

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MauroMags
Veteran
Veteran

curious about a website

Post by MauroMags »

Hi all,

while surfing on the web i came across a geneology webiste that had a listing of several surnames that had been "researched" by their team.

the website is http://www.geocities.com/tfboettger/

Does anyone know what this company/website is about? do they distribute their information? are they legit? Any info would be helpful

thanks,
Mauro
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Re: curious about a website

Post by rfornal »

I can't say anything specifically about the company or individual involved, but there are a few indicators without getting into the specific information involved ...

1. They are using geocities as a domain host, which if a favorite for some people that like free services. They have paid for their service, but have not paid for a domain to make the link clean.

2. They are using a generic (probably free) yahoo e-mail address.

... examining the information, might give you someplace to start, but I would confirm any of the information you find personally (if no direct information is available, ie. birth certificate), you might need several sources that state the same thing (check their references to be sure they aren't documenting each other ...
MauroMags
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MauroMags »

Hi Bob,

Your points are well taken. I was curious because they list one of my family surnames, which is not etremely common. So it sparked my interest. I will however, proceed with caution

thanks again for your input,
Mauro
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Post by rfornal »

Don't let my points turn you off completely. The information may be valid ... I would just make sure to independently verify anything you add to your own records.

Even if you were supplied with books that they created, that doesn't automatically make the information valid or right. If they have 20 new names that are valid for your family, I would almost bet that some part of what they have included is wrong (could have been original records are wrong, translation was wrong, and/or entry into their records was done incorrectly) ... assuming their information was genuinely correct in the first place (might be, might not) ...

Good Luck ...
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

That site template is beautiful wow!

:)
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Post by rfornal »

The style would be relatively easy to replicate ... the transition might be more challenging, but not impossible ...

It is kind of cool ...
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I agree James.....elegant, upscale.....yet simple.
One of the better sites I've seen.
Lisa