military cards from Schio, Venice

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ally
Veteran
Veteran

military cards from Schio, Venice

Post by ally »

Hello Ricbru,

Was wondering, you mentioned that all males ages 18 had to do military?

Where would I write for my grandfathers card from Schio, Venice?
Would you be so kind as to give me an address also for this piece of information?

Thanks bunches!!

Ally :D
raffygen
Rookie
Rookie

Re: military cards from Schio, Venice

Post by raffygen »

Ally are you sure they were from Schio, Venice?
I know there is a Schio in the province of Vicenza.
My family lives about 45 minutes from there.

If it is the one in Vicenza here are the information about the Comune.
Comune di Schio
Piazza Statuto, 16 - 36015 (Vi)
Tel. 0445 691111
info@comune.schio.vi.it

And this is the State Archive in Vicenza

ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI VICENZA
Sezioni : BASSANO_DEL_GRAPPA
Borgo Casale 91 I- 36100 Vicenza
Tel: 0444 510827
Fax:0444 301557
E-Mail: asvi@archivi.beniculturali.it

Let me know if you need more help.
Raffy
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

Hi Raffy,

As far as I know, they lived in the hills. My g-grandfather was a wool merchant and the address of my gramps birth act was in 1891 626 Via Sessegolo, town of Schio.

I was not aware there was more then 1 Schio, Venice, Vicenza.
While I have you, what exactly is this document called so when I write to them I do not look like a dingbat! I am most interested in obtaining it.

Thanks for your help,

Ally
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

ally wrote:Hello Ricbru,

Would you be so kind as to give me an address also for this piece of information?

Thanks bunches!!

Hello Ally,
you can request your grandfather military record (foglio matricolare) and draft card (lista di leva) only to

Archivio di Stato di Vicenza

You can easily:
1) write them an email (I don't know if they will ever write you back), written in italian, or
2)you can send them a request written in italian (people working there don't have to necessary know foreign languages) via ordinary mail, add to it a big self addressed envelope + 3 or 4 international reply coupons and a photocopy of your ID + some euro cents to pay the cost of photocoping the records

I don't know if they will ever reply to your email because the Archivio di Stato and comunes of Veneto region have hundreds of emails everyday from Brasil and Argentina, because descendents of Italian immigrants are trying to get a record to understand where their ancestors were born to apply for Italian citizenship and run away from poornes of south America.
I deeply suggest you the second choice.
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

Riccardo,

Thanks for your input. I think I will try mailing a letter to them with postage etc.

Once again, thank you for your kindness in answering yet another question of mine. Hope you are doing well!!!

I know that alot of a branch of my family indeed went to Brazil and Argentina also. Lots of my g-grandparents cousins left to go there.

Have a great day!!!! :D

Ally
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Ally,
I'm doing well, I hope you too.
I post on this forum because I like to give suggestions to everyone who is tring to discover its Italian ancestry, as I consider eveyone friends,
have a nice day
bye Riccardo
raffygen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raffygen »

Ally,

unless Riccardo has specific reasons to believe the state archives in Veneto will not reply to your email I would try anyway before sending the letter and the postage.

I wrote to the State Archives in Enna and Catania. None of them replied to my email but after a month I have received a letter with the information requested from both of them without spending money.

Raffy :D
ricbru wrote:

Thanks bunches!!

Hello Ally,
you can request your grandfather military record (foglio matricolare) and draft card (lista di leva) only to

You can easily:
1) write them an email (I don't know if they will ever write you back), written in italian, or
2)you can send them a request written in italian (people working there don't have to necessary know foreign languages) via ordinary mail, add to it a big self addressed envelope + 3 or 4 international reply coupons and a photocopy of your ID + some euro cents to pay the cost of photocoping the records

I don't know if they will ever reply to your email because the Archivio di Stato and comunes of Veneto region have hundreds of emails everyday from Brasil and Argentina, because descendents of Italian immigrants are trying to get a record to understand where their ancestors were born to apply for Italian citizenship and run away from poornes of south America.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

raffygen wrote:Ally,

unless Riccardo has specific reasons to believe the state archives in Veneto will not reply to your email I would try anyway before sending the letter and the postage.

I wrote to the State Archives in Enna and Catania. None of them replied to my email but after a month I have received a letter with the information requested from both of them without spending money.

ricbru wrote:

Thanks bunches!!

Hello Ally,

You can easily:

Dear Raffy,
I have contacts with Archivio di Stato and comunes all over Italy everyday, and I can tell you that everyone act differently.
There are some repositories who have not problem about spending money of postage or money of photocopies to send to requesters all over the world, there are some that have so many requests from all over the world continuesly, that they can't afford all these expenses, and they want you to anticipate the money for postage and envelope to reply (for example Archivio di Stato di Trento and Comune of Mazara del Vallo). The Public Administration in Italy is having an hard time with the money. The Department of Culture in Rome gives the money to the Archivio di Statos.
Since Ally I guess is not calling and speaking in italian to the man in charge of Archivio di Stato of Vicenza, to know the rules how to request and get these kind of records, I suggested Ally to spend a little of money and I gave her some other tips, so at least she will receive an answer sooner or later, instead of surely waiting forever.... :roll:
Remember that Italy is a very burocratic land, if you don't request the things in the way they want, they will never reply to you
You have been lucky to receive those records free of charge from Archivio di Stato of Catania and Enna
Riccardo
raffygen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raffygen »

Riccardo,
thank you very much for your explanation!!! :D
Raffy

ricbru wrote:

ricbru wrote: Hello Ally,

You can easily:

Dear Raffy,
I have contacts with Archivio di Stato and comunes all over Italy everyday, and I can tell you that everyone act differently.
There are some repositories who have not problem about spending money of postage or money of photocopies to send to requesters all over the world, there are some that have so many requests from all over the world continuesly, that they can't afford all these expenses, and they want you to anticipate the money for postage and envelope to reply (for example Archivio di Stato di Trento and Comune of Mazara del Vallo). The Public Administration in Italy is having an hard time with the money. The Department of Culture in Rome gives the money to the Archivio di Statos.
Since Ally I guess is not calling and speaking in italian to the man in charge of Archivio di Stato of Vicenza, to know the rules how to request and get these kind of records, I suggested Ally to spend a little of money and I gave her some other tips, so at least she will receive an answer sooner or later, instead of surely waiting forever.... :roll:
Remember that Italy is a very burocratic land, if you don't request the things in the way they want, they will never reply to you
You have been lucky to receive those records free of charge from Archivio di Stato of Catania and Enna
Riccardo
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

You are welcome
Riccardo :lol:
raffygen wrote:Riccardo,
thank you very much for your explanation!!! :D
Raffy

ricbru wrote:

Dear Raffy,
Riccardo
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

Riccardo & Raffy,

Thank you both for your helpfullness.

I personally do not request papers without sending something. Whether it is a donation to the church for batpism records/marriage etc. Even to that person working in the cemetery office who looks up many people with the same surname to locate the various families that could be buried there.
She receives a thank you card and a note to her superior stating how helpful she was to me.

A simple card to a genealogist who has helped me -sending my sincere thanks for all she has done. It makes you feel good, and the person helping you feel nice too!!!!

Raffy, you are lucky to get informaton without having to spend money. Not everyone is kind in our world today. I thank you for telling us your experience!

I hope I have some good luck!!

Thanks again to you both!

Ally
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Falcieri »

Hello,

I think my g-g-g-grandfather was bought out of the conscription by his employer between 1818 and 1821. How can I find out about this, he was from Venice in the San Samuele district.

Many thanks,

Claudia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The military center for Venezia isin Padova and perhaps you might be able to obtain additonal leads in your research from that office. The e-mail address is cedoc-padova@esercito.difesa.it I refer you to this office only to avoid overlooking the obvious....but for detailed infromation about Venetian military internet research is the best way to go since you are looking for a specific reference during a specific period of time.

The other source of information would be the antiquarian dealer I have dealt with in the past and found most helpful in purchasing old books is Arnaldo Forni Editore in Bologna. Their e-mail address is info@fornieditore.com and their website is www.fornieditore.com. You can request their catalogue. =Peter=
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Falcieri »

Thank you, this is very useful, I will email them at Padova and see what they say. I wondered about writing to the Archivo di Stato in Venezia, who I have had dealing with in the past and have been very helpful in finding me information. But I will try Padova first if you think this is the best place.

Many thanks!

Claudia
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Falcieri

Links for LDS films you can order to view which include the years you're ingerested in and military information. 1796 through 1899.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

General link for other films you might be interested in. Click on a link - a second page will appear with that individual link, click it again and in the new window that appears click on "view film notes" in the upper right corner and it will list details of the film.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Elizabeth