Marchiano & Liguori surnames

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
magprise
Rookie
Rookie

Marchiano & Liguori surnames

Post by magprise »

Hello,

I am trying to find out which town my great grandmother Mary Ann Marchiano (born about 1870) came from. Her parents were Francesco or possibly Giuseppe Marchiano and Elena Liguori. They came to New York City in 1884 or 1885 along with MaryAnn’s 3 brothers Giuseppe, James and Stephen. I know that they were definitely Albanian and I originally thought they were from San Costantino Albanese. However, I have searched the Mormon records for San Costantino and cannot find them (although there are other Marchianos and Liguoris there). So now I trying to figure out how to find out where they were really from. I don’t see them in passenger ship lists nor in naturalization petitions. Mary Ann and her 3 brothers were all married in NY and I have their certificates but they do not have any other information.

Mary Ann married a Vincenzo Caputo in 1886. On their marriage license it says they both lived in the same building prior to marriage (& Mulberry Street). From other research I have done I have found that people from the same towns in Italy tended to live on the same blocks and buildings in NY. Unfortunately I do no know which town Vincenzo is from either. He apparently was born in 1853 and migrated in 1880 or 1881. I am fairly sure he was from Calabria. I found a letter he wrote in 1911 when he had made a business trip back to Italy which the wonderful people on this site translated for me. It talked about the importing business and also how his brother’s family was in good health. At the top of the letter it said Spezzano Albanese. I looked thru the Mormon records for Spezzano Albanese and did find a few Caputos but not any of his records.

All of this is a very long way of asking does anyone have any suggestions on how I can look further and find the town that they were from?

Thanks so much
GS
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Marchiano & Liguori surnames

Post by Esperanza »

Is this your Vincenzo Caputo?

Did he sell liquor at one time?

1899 Manifest with children

Children listed on manifest are Rosina, Elena, Giuseppe, Luigi

First Name: Vincenzo
Last Name: Caputo
Ethnicity: Citizen
Last Place of Residence: Nero (Probably NARO, Agrigento, Sicilia)
Date of Arrival: Nov 02, 1899
Age at Arrival: 47y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Kaiser Wilhelm II
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0014

Speranza
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Welcome to the forum........Esperanza.....

it's so great to see new posters helping out, and with ship manifest!!!!

Such an unusual name, very pretty, seems I heard it once before........

again, Welcome!! :lol:

wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi magprise & everyone,

Just so everyone who checks this post & is interested in contributing to it is on the same page, this is a continuation of this post>>>>

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =4560.html

That said, Have you gotten their complete marriage record? Not just the certificate.......Marriage record includes the application to marry, the license, any affidavits, the certificate & the return. This record could have the town of birth for both, Mary Ann & Vincenzo, plus parent names.

There maybe a LDS film for this record, so if you provide the information on the marriage, we can check or check @ your FHC.

Also, see about getting birth records for their children.

Hope this helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Esperanza »

Thank you both .......wldspirit........ and jcsm .......for your welcome messages. I look forward to working with such a talented group.

jcsm, I have seen the other post. I am not sure where to reply further as I have more information for magprise (GS) about Vincenzo Caputo.

I am waiting for him to reply to my questions first.

Would it be best to reply here or at the other post?

Speranza
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Esperanza...........
we most generally try to post on an already established thread. At this point, do whatever makes you feel most comfortable....... :wink: :wink:
wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Speranza,

It is really up to you on which post to reply on, but my perference would be this one, since it is the most recent one.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Speranza,

Welcome to the forum. :D About the manifest you posted...I can only view the text version..is that what you meant to post? Perhaps you could link the actual manifest for us? Since its your find it would be great if you posted it.

Look forward to seeing more of your posts. Looks like you have a real talent for manifests.. :D

Beautiful name...it means hope doesn't it? We can all use more of that these days.

nuccia
magprise
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magprise »

Hello,

That is just incredible! I searched the Ellis Island website and never found that entry. This must be my great grandfather - he was a liquor dealer in NYC and those are his children's names and the right ages. . I knew that he made several trips to Italy for business but I never knew he took his children.

Do you think that Naro is his place of residence or just the last place he visited in Italy on this trip?

I just have the church certificate for Vincenzo and Mary Ann's marriage in NYC in 1886. I am trying to contact the church to see if they have the records - from what I am told the church would have to note where they were baptised.

I do have the birth records for all of his children - there was 11 altogether - they were all born in NYC.

Again, thank you for finding that record - its another great clue.

GS
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

[quote]from what I am told the church would have to note where they were baptised.[quote]

you are correct......specific information had to be provided to the catholic churches here, just as in Italy, you may even discover parents names.
wldspirit
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Esperanza »

Hi,
This quote was taken from your other post...
magprise wrote:.....
This is the petition for naturalization - is there useful information to be gained by getting the complete file and if so how do I go about doing that?

http://img66.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... ion9yk.jpg
Had wondered what the relationship between the witness Anthony Molinelli and Vincenzo Caputo was.

New York Petitions for Naturalization Record
about Vincenzo Caputo
Naturalization Date: 11 Oct 1894
Former Nationality: Italian
Birth Date: 12 Oct 1853
Arrival Port: NY New York
Arrival Date: 15 Aug 1881 (?)
Title and Location of Court: U S District Court, New York, NY
Volume: 35
Record Number: 378-377

They were both in the liquor business... but I can't tell you if they are related... or just really good business friends.

Doing a manifest search on Anthony Molinelli, I came across this record, but wasn't sure what I was reading on the line below his name.

This Anthony Molinello was born about 1868.

See line 26 Does it have you wondering?

I can't tell you if this is the same Anthony who is in the liquor business
but his wife's name is sure interesting.

Doing a further search on Anthony and Vince.. they are both listed on the New York City Directories and the addresses are very close to eachother. Even though one record is from 1890.. and the other is 1915.

Under the Lager Beer Business Section

New York, City Directories Record
Name: vincenzo caputo (4 Roosevelt)
Title: NewYork-NY-1915a
Year: 1915
City: New York
Book Section: City Information
Page: 920
Source: . n.p.: n.p., n.d..
If you would like a viewable file of this, I can email it to you.

New York City Directory, 1890 data only.. no viewable file
Molinelli Anthony, liquors, 14 Roosevelt, h 5 Rooseverlt

As for the manifest posted earlier on, it tells me that Vincenzo was a very interesting person travelling with 4 children! I can't tell you if Naro is his birthplace though. I did a Caputo surname search for Naro and only 2 records showed up with the same surname. I had hoped to see more Caputos show up. More research into neighbouring towns could help. But now we are in Sicily??

Also found this record.. but it is of an Anna Maria and not of a Maria Anna... 1891. She travels with her father Giuseppe Marchiano. I do understand that Marianna was married in 1886.

See lines 76 and 77, July 1891 Manifest.

Since the site will be down this weekend, best to make a copy of all info provided for you, should you wish to check things further.

Speranza
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

That said, Have you gotten their complete marriage record? Not just the certificate.......Marriage record includes the application to marry, the license, any affidavits, the certificate & the return. This record could have the town of birth for both, Mary Ann & Vincenzo, plus parent names.
While speculation is great, it can also be confusing and misleading.
Jcsm gave the best advice.......gather COMPLETE source documents.
This is your best bet for accurate clues and concrete confirmation.
wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

You may find this link interesting, an outline on records held by the church, as well as helpful links in tracking down records.

Have you checked for funeral records?

http://home.att.net/~Local_Catholic/#type-records

wldspirit
magprise
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magprise »

Wow - Esperanza you are unbelievable!! - What incredible information. I can't thank you enough.

Could you tell me where you found that ship manifest for Giuseppe and Anna Maria Marchiano? On most records she is listed as Mary Ann but she is Anna Maria on at least one other record. I don't know if it is them. I just never thought she would have had the time to go back to Italy. She give birth in July 1890 and the next child was born sometime in 1892. From 1887 until she died in 1910 she had 11 children, 9 of whom survived childhood.

This is the wonderful thing about this forum, I had done so many searches but didn't think to look for ships Vincenzo travelled on during his trips back and forth. After you showed me the first trip with his children I searched thru the rest of Ellis Island records and found him on the return from another trip in 1911. This was the trip I have the letter he wrote and also he brought home a new wife - much to his children's displeasure, and also his new wife's displeasure because he had not told her about the 9 children at home. On this trip there is a passport number and date of issuance listed for him. I am told that the application may contain the town of his birth. I will see how to go about getting a copy of this from the federal archives.

Were you able to make out the first name of Antonio Molinello's wife - yes definitely very interesting that the last name is Caputo. That may explain their close association thru the years. Unfortunately, my family does not know that name Molinello and no one who knew Vincenzo is still living.

Thank you so much,
GS
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Esperanza »

Here's how he is listed through Ancestry .com

New York Passenger Lists Record
about Guiseppe Marchiano
Name: Guiseppe Marchiano
Arrival Date: 27 Jul 1891
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845
Port of Departure: Marseilles, France and Naples, Italy
Destination: United States of America
Place of Origin: Statie
Ship Name: Massilia
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 13
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: 572
List Number: 1111
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

I can't tell you that this is your Marianna.. only because of the fact she had her hands full with young children in the USA. I wondered whether she had a sister...

How is Vincenzo listed in the 1911 record? Any town listed? I would like to take a look too. Seems like many of the records I looked at for this research takes me to Sicily.
This was the trip I have the letter he wrote and also he brought home a new wife - much to his children's displeasure, and also his new wife's displeasure because he had not told her about the 9 children at home.
OUCH!! He certainly was an interesting person!!

I will check further on the Caputo like name on Anthony's manifest... I am glad it got your attention. I need to enlarge the name and see what it really is.

Your reply, made my day!!

Speranza