Maria Rilli, Rome - Pico, Frosinone

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
contialex

Maria Rilli, Rome - Pico, Frosinone

Post by contialex »

Hello,

I am looking for some information on my great grandparents. My grandmother Maria Rilli (still alive) was adopted in Rome where she used to be one of the orphans at the Santo Spirito Hospital.

She was adopted into the Carnevale family in Pico, Frosinone. However we know that her name in Rome was Rilli. We also know that someone came to look for her in the village of Pico but since noone knew her by that name the opportunity was missed.

I have tried to contact the records office in Rome but with no luck, its all very complex and bureaucratic so i wonder whether anyone out there can help in any way

Thanks for your time,
Alex
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Maria Rilli, Rome - Pico, Frosinone

Post by wldspirit »

In what year did the adoption occur??
wldspirit
contialex

Post by contialex »

Hi,

She was born in 1934 and adopted soon after as we know that her adoptive mother was still breastfeeding her. This earned her the title of "Mamma di Latte". At age 8 she was re-adopted by another family in the same village as their daughter had died prematurely and I think my Grandmother was seen as a kind of replacement... strange stories in little villages!

Anyway hope this helps a little
Thanks for the posting
Alex
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I am going to pm one of our Italian posters, they would have more specific insight into Italian privacy laws and how to go about locating information.

The site is going to be down for a period of time this weekend, but do check back in.
wldspirit
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

contialex wrote:Hello,

I am looking for some information on my great grandparents. My grandmother Maria Rilli (still alive) was adopted in Rome where she used to be one of the orphans at the Santo Spirito Hospital.

She was adopted into the Carnevale family in Pico, Frosinone. However we know that her name in Rome was Rilli. We also know that someone came to look for her in the village of Pico but since noone knew her by that name the opportunity was missed.

I have tried to contact the records office in Rome but with no luck, its all very complex and bureaucratic so i wonder whether anyone out there can help in any way

Thanks for your time,
Alex
Dear Alex,
so far I can see that your grandmother was born in Rome, so easily you can request her birth certificate (estratto per riassunto dell'atto di nascita) to

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Petroselli 50
00186 Roma
Italy

In the birth certificate you find the names of the natural parents declaring the birth of your grandmother

The Santo Spirito Hospital should have a file about when your grandmother was in its orphanage. This file is under the privacy law, but you can always send a request written in Italian explaining what you are really looking for and for what reasons.
It usually take 6 months to have a positive or negative answer for a photocopy of the integral file.
The address of Santo Spirito Hospital is

Spett/le Direzione
Ospedale Santo Spirito
Lungotevere in Sassia 1
00193 Roma

You can also request some informations about the family adopting your grandmother in Pico, province of Frosinone.
You can reqest, always in Italian, the copy of Scheda Anagrafica (Registry file) of your grandmother, or historical family certificate (Certificato di famiglia storico) to

Comune
Ufficio Servizi Demografici
Via Umberto I, n.23
cap 03020 Pico (FR)
Italy

Italy is a very burocratic country, but just give a try,
I hope it helps,
good luck
bye Riccardo :lol: :lol: :lol:
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Grazie Riccardo.... :D

Hugs,
Lee
Marco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Marco »

Perhaps the best idea would be if all letters were signed by your grandmother herself. In that case privacy law should not hold. As for knowing the real parents I have really no idea; in principle they could still be alive and in that case the privacy laws would apply to them (:? ?)
good luck
Marco
Chi fûr li maggior tui?
contialex

Post by contialex »

Thank you all for your help.

I ll definitely get in touch with the adresses you have there Riccardo (and wldspirit), thats all great stuff!

As for the privacy law i am sure i read somewhere that once you re over 65 there is no problems with that... but i guess you never know!

Thanks again,
Alex
agripofi

Post by agripofi »

Hi Pico is in my area, and I would love to go there personally to search if there is any family of those that adopted your grand mother Maria Rilli.
In fact the Carnevale are from Pico.

However I go to Italy in October for our Reunion and I dont know if I will have the time.
If you want to join us at the reunion in Pofi, I will see that someone will either take you to Pico or arrange to do something to help.
Ciao
Tony
Every year I gather some 25 to 50 people from all over the US, Canada and Australia for the family reunion.

This year's October Reunion in Pofi (Frosinone) with interesting trip to Sicily, Calabria, Amalfi Coast and Naples, please contact me.
Reunion cost special only around 650 Euros all included for 8 days of great fun! (from Oct 6 to Oct 13)
Organizer : Agripofi

Tony
pizzicaroli @ aol.com
www.agripofi.it