Surname CAROCCIA

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Buona
Rookie
Rookie

Surname CAROCCIA

Post by Buona »

I am looking for help in finding info on my grandfather Fiore Caroccia. I have tried every spelling I can think of when searching the Ellis Island records, but he just isn't anywhere. I think he was born in Naples probably around l890 - l895. I know he died in NY l946-l949. I'm guessing that he came to America around 1910-1915. I would love to know more about this family.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surname CAROCCIA

Post by suanj »

Buona wrote:I am looking for help in finding info on my grandfather Fiore Caroccia. I have tried every spelling I can think of when searching the Ellis Island records, but he just isn't anywhere. I think he was born in Naples probably around l890 - l895. I know he died in NY l946-l949. I'm guessing that he came to America around 1910-1915. I would love to know more about this family.
this surname is present in some regions italiane(Liguria, Piemonte, Lombardy, Trentino Alto Adige, Emilia Romagna, Toscana,Lazio, Abruzzo, Campania, Basilicata,Calabria, Sicilia) and, in 50 Commons . Origin last name probably from Campania region, with high percentage of the last name. But, the baptism name (Fiore) is much diffusing in Sicily or Abruzzo area... :roll:
regards, suanj
Buona
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Buona »

Thanks suanj. Looks like this will be quite a job. I guess I should start with Caroccia and work my way back to his first name. Thanks again.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Buona wrote:Thanks suanj. Looks like this will be quite a job. I guess I should start with Caroccia and work my way back to his first name. Thanks again.
When origin place is not known, also the memories help. Memories of particular festivities, monuments, of places, memories of surnames correlate etc ..
Varying of the surname, present in Abruzzo region, is Carrocci ..
regards :roll: suanj
Buona
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Buona »

Hi Suanj,

I wish I had the memories. Unfortunately, no one is left of the older generation. And I know so little about him. He died before I was born and I can't recall anyone ever talking about him. But for some reason, he has been on my mind lately. I checked the Jewish record of naturalization petitions for Brooklyn (and I know they lived in Brooklyn at one time because my father was born there) and I came up with 1 Caroccia. The petition was filed in 1907 (which is about the right time) but the first name was not Fiore but ironically the same first name as my Dad. I'm going to send for the hard copy. Maybe it's only a coincidence or maybe he used a different first name. Who knows where this will lead me.
Thanks again and regards,
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Buona wrote:Hi Suanj,

I wish I had the memories. Unfortunately, no one is left of the older generation. And I know so little about him. He died before I was born and I can't recall anyone ever talking about him. But for some reason, he has been on my mind lately. I checked the Jewish record of naturalization petitions for Brooklyn (and I know they lived in Brooklyn at one time because my father was born there) and I came up with 1 Caroccia. The petition was filed in 1907 (which is about the right time) but the first name was not Fiore but ironically the same first name as my Dad. I'm going to send for the hard copy. Maybe it's only a coincidence or maybe he used a different first name. Who knows where this will lead me.
Thanks again and regards,
Hi Buona:
a good method in order to try given ancestors, is "successory expedient". It means: to try notarial deeds purchase property carries out to you from your grandfather. In these actions all it is specified.
Regards, suanj :wink:
(excuse my bad english)
Buona
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Buona »

Hello Suanj,
Your English is wonderful and your kindness in answering these posts is overwhelming. I am so grateful. Unfortunately, there is no paper to trace my grandfather Fiore Caroccia. Anything there was has either been lost or destroyed. He died in 1947 at abt 56 yrs old. He was the father to 9 children but only 2 are still alive. They were very young when he died and they know little. My uncle was able to tell me that Fiore had a brother named Michael, who also died young. And that my grandfather was born 1891-92. We do not know if there were any other brothers or sisters. He also told me that Fiore was from a town in Napoli that starts with the word "monte....". Unfortunately, no one even has a photo of my grandfather. I really don't know where to go from here.
Best regards, Buona
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Buona wrote:Hello Suanj,
Your English is wonderful and your kindness in answering these posts is overwhelming. I am so grateful. Unfortunately, there is no paper to trace my grandfather Fiore Caroccia. Anything there was has either been lost or destroyed. He died in 1947 at abt 56 yrs old. He was the father to 9 children but only 2 are still alive. They were very young when he died and they know little. My uncle was able to tell me that Fiore had a brother named Michael, who also died young. And that my grandfather was born 1891-92. We do not know if there were any other brothers or sisters. He also told me that Fiore was from a town in Napoli that starts with the word "monte....". Unfortunately, no one even has a photo of my grandfather. I really don't know where to go from here.
Best regards, Buona
Hi Buona:
In province of Naples is present this town: MONTE DI PROCIDA.
But in white pages to Monte di Procida not exist Caroccia.
It must think that many persons are move in the course of the years.
But, Caroccia surname is present in town MONTEFORTE CILENTO(Salerno province-Campania region) near to Naples. Remembers you something these names of towns? :roll: regards ,suanj
Buona
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Buona »

Hello Suanj,
I'm afraid neither name means much to me. But Monteforte seems to be the only place where I can start to look. I cannot expect any help from the 1 uncle I have left over here. He seems to think that I am wasting my time. And I apologize if I am wasting your time. Once again I must ask you to guide me. Where do you suggest I start my search or should I just give up.
Many thanks.
Buona
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Buona wrote:Hello Suanj,
I'm afraid neither name means much to me. But Monteforte seems to be the only place where I can start to look. I cannot expect any help from the 1 uncle I have left over here. He seems to think that I am wasting my time. And I apologize if I am wasting your time. Once again I must ask you to guide me. Where do you suggest I start my search or should I just give up.
Many thanks.
Buona
Hi Buona...and CAPODIMONTE?Is in Naples towns..
Naples is formed from great quarters like villages. Capodimonte is the only one that contains word "monte". The Neapolitans make distinction between quarters, as they were villages separates. To Naples are present Caroccia. Monte di Procida much neighbor to Naples, on Naples gulf, of forehead to Procida island and Capri island. Currently to Monte di Procida not exist Caroccia, but it is passed a century and the families move themselves.. task Monte di Procida, or Naples-Capodimonte. These two places are on the sea. Monteforte is between hills. Memories if it name the sea? :roll: regards, suanj