Did Immigrants Have to Bring ID with them?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Graffeo
Rookie
Rookie

Did Immigrants Have to Bring ID with them?

Post by Graffeo »

I was wondering, did the Italian immigrants have to bring their birth certificates with them when they came to America?

Also I assume they had to get social security numbers. Can one obtain a copy of the SS application if the person is deceased? Would it have the city of birth in Italy on it?
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Did Immigrants Have to Bring ID with them?

Post by Esperanza »

Sent you a private message a few days ago... please check your "inbox"
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The SS application may list the town of origin.......and sometimes it will just say Italy........worth a shot if you have not discovered the town name thru other sources....

wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Address to request ss application.

Social Security Administration
OEO FOIA Workgroup
300 N. Green Street
P.O. Box 33022
Baltimore, Maryland 21290-3022

Pricing: $27.00 with SS number & $29.00 without.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Graffeo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Graffeo »

jcsm400 wrote:Address to request ss application.

OEO FOIA Workgroup
300 N. Green Street
P.O. Box 33022

jcsm
8O Yikes $27.00 is kind of steep considering it still might not solve my problem but if I get desperate I will give it a shot. Thank you very much.
Graffeo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Graffeo »

wldspirit wrote:The SS application may list the town of origin.......and sometimes it will just say Italy........worth a shot if you have not discovered the town name thru other sources....

wldspirit
It seems odd to me that it was not important in so many records to know where in Italy a person came to America from. This is getting tough! Hope it's not the end of the line. Thank you though.
Graffeo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Graffeo »

Esperanza wrote:Sent you a private message a few days ago... please check your "inbox"
:P Check your private mail.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Graffeo wrote:
jcsm400 wrote:Address to request ss application.

OEO FOIA Workgroup
300 N. Green Street
P.O. Box 33022

jcsm
8O Yikes $27.00 is kind of steep considering it still might not solve my problem but if I get desperate I will give it a shot. Thank you very much.
Really recommend obtaining as much US documentation as you can on family members......You never know what will be revealed on a document til you get it!..........We have given information on records that can have the town information.

Hope this helps.
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Graffeo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Graffeo »

Really recommend obtaining as much US documentation as you can on family members......You never know what will be revealed on a document til you get it!..........We have given information on records that can have the town information.

Hope this helps.
jcsm[/quote]

You are right of course and after checking with SSA I see that it could be cheaper than 27.00. It's only $18.00 if you request an extract and don't have the SS# and here's the info you get:

A: A very helpful tool for genealogists is using social security records. If you have a relative who was working any time after 1935 they probably had social security.When they applied for their account they had to fill out an application form called an SS-5.The form consisted of:

The applicants full name
The applicants address
The applicants age and birthday
Their place of employment
Their place of birth
The names of his/her parents including his mothers maiden name
Their sex
Their race
The date of application
Their signature

So that's a pretty good deal!
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Just a word of caution. The $18.00 is an abbreviated printout, not a copy of the actual SS-5. It may not contain the information you are looking for.

From Ancestry.com info:
A standard letter to the Social Security Administration is available with the search results on the Ancestry.com Social Security Death Index. This letter may be printed and mailed to the Social Security Administration to request a copy of your ancestor's SS-5 form. The Social Security Administration now charges $27.00 for each individual copy (an abbreviated NUMIDENT printout is available for $16.00).

Debbie
Graffeo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Graffeo »

[quote="VaDeb"]Just a word of caution. The $18.00 is an abbreviated printout, not a copy of the actual SS-5. It may not contain the information you are looking for.

Thanks for the warning. I am not so bummed about the $27.00 now that I see that there is a good chance that the town he was born in and the names of this parents will be on the document. I just want to get something for my money and effort. Seems like the SS application is the best bet.