Birth Certificate

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
DRendek

Birth Certificate

Post by DRendek »

I have gotten birth certificates on my great grandparents from micofilm that came from Termini Imerese. My Great Grandfather is listed in the right column as Campagna, Agostino di Cosimo. This means he is the son of Cosimo Campagna. On My Great Grandmother's it is listed as Rocca, Maria da Ignazio. I believe this translates from Ignazio. Most of the birth certificates I have viewed from micofilm list the fathers name. Because of the way it was written, does this mean that my great grandmother was either born out of wedlock or adopted?

Thanks and any help would be appreciated!

Debbie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

translate: daughter of Ignazio Rocca.

In Italy the paternity is written always, and, especially when there are some persons with same name, then paternity is specified in order to identify the branch of the family. Great grandmother legitimately is been born in the wedding..regards, suanj :lol:
DRendek

Birth Certificate

Post by DRendek »

Thanks for your resonse. I have another question. On her death certificate in Illinois, U.S.A. it is written that her father was Charles Rocca. Her birth certificate shows Iganzio Rocca. Was Charles another name for Ignazio or maybe an American version of it? Thanks!
Debbie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

RE RE: Birth certificate

Post by suanj »

Not: IGNAZIO is a name of baptism, various from CARLO(CHARLES) other name of baptism. They are two various names. Which it is the baptism's name exact of father?..Moreover the name: IGNAZIO ROCCA is currently present to Termini Imerese(Palermo province-Sicily region)... :roll: suanj
DRendek

Post by DRendek »

I am having trouble with this one particular birth certificate I got off a microfilm that is from Termini Imerese. This is what is confusing me. On the line that reads: Uffiziale dello Stato Civile del Comune di (cursive writing says Termini Imerese) 'e comparsa la dele Rocca, Giuseppe, di anni and I cannot read the writing after that. Wouldn't Giuseppe be her fathers name? And if that is so why does it say in the margin Rocca, Maria da Ignazio?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

DRendek wrote:I am having trouble with this one particular birth certificate I got off a microfilm that is from Termini Imerese. This is what is confusing me. On the line that reads: Uffiziale dello Stato Civile del Comune di (cursive writing says Termini Imerese) 'e comparsa la dele Rocca, Giuseppe, di anni and I cannot read the writing after that. Wouldn't Giuseppe be her fathers name? And if that is so why does it say in the margin Rocca, Maria da Ignazio?

It means : ( in Bureaucratic italian language): In front of me Uffiziale dello Stato Civile del Comune... (it means: physically present in front to employed of the OFFICE of Marital status) has appeared "Della Rocca Giuseppe" di anni... (age)... I would have to read the certificate, why IGNAZIO could be a a witness..if can sends to me via certificate email copy...
DRendek

Post by DRendek »

I have a copy saved on my computer and will send it to you. It is a fairly big picture (1.3Mb). Will it take too long to retrieve it? If so, I can compress it further for you. Thanks so much. You have been so much help to me and I deeply appreciate it! :D
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

not, not is much large, send me to conceptualart@hotmail.com
If I have problems in order to open from Hotmail, I send to you in private message my personal mailto :wink:
DRendek

Post by DRendek »

Thank you. I just sent it to you. :)
DRendek

Post by DRendek »

Hi, I sent you the picture to your hotmail account and it came back to me amd said it didn't go through. Maybe the file is too large for hotmail.
Debbie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ok: private message for you..
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: I am translate, is difficult to read. The Father is IGNAZIO ROCCA, the others is present witnesses to the birth declaration. Tomorrow send you for email...good night (23.54 PM)!!!! 8O suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

The translation is literal.
The sense is this: Mrs. Giuseppa Calderance, old of 54 years, with to Giuseppe Calderance, old of 21 years, stevedore, and Francisco Coiso, old of 21 years, stevedore, declares that to Antonina Spalla(or Spallare), wife of IGNAZIO ROCCA, absent, is been born one daughter called Maria born in Termini Imerese the 1 /august/ 1884.
Mrs. Giuseppa Calderance has assisted childbirth (obstetrician). ....Signature of the two witnesses (Giuseppe Calderance and Francesco Coiso) :wink: regards, suanj
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

English:

Year 1884, day 4 of the month of August, to ante meridian hours 11 and minuteren 30, in the Communal HOUSE (Town hall ) in front of me Gracchinai Tonino, head secretary delegated from Major with act of 14 June 1881.......... determining...... Uffiziale of the Marital status of the Common of Termini Imerese has appeared Calderance(or Calderauce) Giuseppa of years 54 domiciled in Termini, which have declared me that to antemeridian hours one(1 AM) and minuteren---------, of the day 1(first) of the foretold month (August), in the house placed in (7,street LAJTRE) via LAJTRE to number 7, from Spalla(or Spallare) Antonina of years 24 wife of Rocca IGNAZIO of years thirty... (30..) both domiciles to you here, is been born a child of feminine sex to which the name of Maria has been given.
To how much over and to this act have been present which witnesses Calderance Giuseppe of years 21, stevedore(profession) and Coiso Francisco of years 21, stevedore, both residents in this Common one. The declaring Calderance...... the birth foretold for to have assisted to the delivery of Spalla Antonina and in placer of husband of this.... absent..read the present act to the interested ones is from me signed: signers and praying the same ones to sign me. Signed: Calderance() Giuseppe, Coiso Francisco

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
L'anno 1884, il giorno 4 del mese di Agosto, alle ore ante meridiane 11 e minuti 30, nella Casa Comunale(MUNICIPIO) davanti a me Gracchinai Tonino, capo segretario delegato dal Sindaco con atto del 14 Giugno 1881.......... determinando ......
Uffiziale dello Stato Civile del Comune di Termini Imerese è comparso Calderance(or Calderauce) Giuseppa di anni cinquantaquattro(54) domiciliata in Termini, la quale mi ha dichiarato che alle ore antemeridiane una(1 AM) e minuti------- , del giorno 1(primo) del predetto mese (Agosto), nella casa posta in via LAJTRE al numero 7, da Spalla(or Spallare) Antonina di anni ventiquattro(24) moglie di Rocca IGNAZIO di anni trenta...(30..) entrambi qui domiciliati, è nato un bambino di sesso femminile a cui è stato imposto il nome di Maria.
A quanto sopra e a questo atto sono stati presenti quali testimoni Calderance Giuseppe di anni ventuno, facchino(profession) e Coiso Francesco di anni ventuno, facchino, entrambi residenti in questo Comune .
La dichiarante Calderance ......la nascita predetta per avere assistito al parto di Spalla Antonina ed in luogo del marito di questa .... assente letto il presente atto agli interessati si è da me firmato: firmatari e pregando gli stessi firmare a me. Firmato: Calderance(?) Giuseppe, Coiso Francesco