Molo Palermo Sicily - Waldensian Church

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie

Molo Palermo Sicily - Waldensian Church

Post by PaulaMT »

Does any have information on an address for any Waldensian Church's or schools located in or near Molo?
my Great grandmother Margherita Aiena was to have been educated at a Waldensian facility. Her DOB 1879? immigrated 1920. so I believe I'm looking for a church established around circa 1885 or so.
I would like to try to write for information....
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Molo Palermo Sicily - Waldensian Church

Post by Esperanza »

PaulaMT wrote:Does any have information on an address for any Waldensian Church's or schools located in or near Molo?
my Great grandmother Margherita Aiena was to have been educated at a Waldensian facility. Her DOB 1879? immigrated 1920. so I believe I'm looking for a church established around circa 1885 or so.
Hope this link can help some... you may have already seen it ..

Waldensian Church info

Where is says "select a link" - select "contacts" and that will give you a list of addresses...

Had never heard of the Waldensian Church community or facility until now.

From www.familysearch.org and FHC Library Catalogue

FHC Keyword search page
(keyword "Waldensian")

results below...

Waldensian information
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PaulaMT »

Thank you... I have a hard time finding some Italian sites...

Waldensian
The Waldensian Church never had a strong presence in Sicily. A Waldensian parish was established in Palermo after the Unification (1860), their church having been more widespread in Piedmont, the Savoys' realm. The Anglican Church was introduced early in the 19th century with the arrival of several English mercantile families. In Sicily, it is still represented in the "High Church" tradition of the Church of England. When General George Patton arrived in Palermo in 1943, it was at Holy Cross Anglican Church (on Via Roma) that he worshipped, where he dedicated a plaque to commemorate the American soldiers killed during Operation Husky, the Sicilian campaign. Waldensians and Anglicans are Protestants in the Reformation tradition.

Pasifists or chicken?... we ran like h___ from the french catholics!!
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

PaulaMT wrote:Does any have information on an address for any Waldensian Church's or schools located in or near Molo?
Hello,
if you are also interested to get her birth certificate you can write a request to

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Giulio Cesare 52
90127 Palermo
Italy

These are also the addresses of Waldesian churhces in Palermo

Chiesa Di Altri Culti Chiesa Evangelica Valdese Abitazione Pastore
90139 Palermo (PA) - Via Dello Spezio, 43
091 580153

Tavola Valdese Chiesa Metodista E Valdese
90135 Palermo (PA) - Via Di Blasi Giovanni Evangelista, 16
091 6821252

I hope it helps,bye Riccardo :lol:
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PaulaMT »

Thank you for the Addresses....

Do I send money now... or wait till they find something... and how much in U.S. dollars... (or what form?)...
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

PaulaMT wrote:Thank you for the Addresses....

Do I send money now... or wait till they find something... and how much in U.S. dollars... (or what form?)...
Hello,
what kind of informations are you looking for? Please be specific, so we can drive you to the right way,
let us know, bye Riccardo :lol:
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Paula,

Do you have your great grandmother's manifest from 1920? This will show her town of birth.

If this is the correct manifest information, then she was born in Palermo & you can obtain her birth record & trace the family through the LDS films (copies of birth, marriage, & death acts) for Palrmno.

First Name: Margherita
Last Name: Aiena Agria
Ethnicity: Italy Ital. South
Last Place of Residence: Palermo, Sicily
Date of Arrival: Oct 28, 1920
Age at Arrival: 41y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Patria
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0002

Film information.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... di+Palermo+++

Have you gotten any US documentation on her that list her parents?....Due to the naming tradition in Italy, you may need this information.

Hope this helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PaulaMT »

yes I have the passenger record from ellis island... It says Palermo... but in further research I've found Molo to be were most of the family is from...

No document with her parents names.. but my great aunt was wonderful about keeping little pieces of paper... from which I have her death in 1937 and her brother's Salvatore Aiena death card from 1973 along with a letter I have posted on the translations site that is hard to read.. and needs to be translated... the web link is proprint web where my letter is posted...

Some of the LDS is wrong... becareful!... I've found a hand full of wrong spellings... ordered orignial doc and they are completely different... In my favor...
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PaulaMT »

ricbru

Information I'm looking for would be: birth Certificate, Adoption/custody, and marriage.

I would assume from the same church I could find her Mothers family information. Arosila Pavone who died and Brother Carmelo took custody of Margherita and Salvatore.

I am also assuming that her father's family was Chatholic... Aiena.. her fathers name was Domenico born 1852 - 1883 his father was Salvatore: not sure on exact birthdate either 1806 or 1802
Paula M. T.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

PaulaMT wrote:ricbru

Information I'm looking for would be: birth Certificate, Adoption/custody, and marriage.

I would assume from the same church I could find her Mothers family information. Arosila Pavone who died and Brother Carmelo took custody of Margherita and Salvatore.

I am also assuming that her father's family was Chatholic... Aiena.. her fathers name was Domenico born 1852 - 1883 his father was Salvatore: not sure on exact birthdate either 1806 or 1802
Paula,
to Ufficio Stato civile of Palermo (see address above), where there are kept Palermo civil records from 1820 to today,(earlier records are only church records) you can request the integral copy of birth record (copia integrale dell'atto di nascita) or her birth certificate (estratto per riassunto dell'atto di nascita), integral copy of her marriage record (copia integrale dell'atto di matrimonio) or marriage certificate (estratto per riassunto dell'atto di matrimonio). About custody and adoption I don't think there is anything.
The request for records or certificate must be written in italian , sent via ordinary mail+ self addressed envelope for reply + international reply coupon for reply + photocopy of your ID + few euro cents to afford the cost of the documents.

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PaulaMT »

Thank you for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Paula M. T.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

PaulaMT wrote:Thank you for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
You are welcome, it was my pleasure, this is the reason why I'm here
bye Riccardo
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

PaulaMT wrote: Some of the LDS is wrong... becareful!... I've found a hand full of wrong spellings... ordered orignial doc and they are completely different... In my favor...
Are you referring to the online ancestral files?....I can't see how films of the original civil registries can be incorrect. Would be very 8O

jcsm
PaulaMT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PaulaMT »

yes the online lds records that must have been transcribed ....

for instance... my great grand mother... teresa piccirilli was listed as ceresina piccintti.... but I ordered the marriage certificate from NYC and it was the correct people my grandmother.. in her own signature it was spelled correctly... the clerk in NYC in 1901 had horrible handwriting...
Paula M. T.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

The online stuff has been submitted by LDS members on their families...some are & some are not documented & they are subject to the individual's interpretation on soellings. They are completely different than the films. Again the films are of the original civil (birth, marriage, & death acts)and/or church records (sacraments) recorded in the town. Through the civil films, you can usually trace families back to the early/mid 1700's & church films can take you back further.

Hope this explains it to you ok & if you need information on how to obtain the films, let us know.

jcsm