Transcription of Pass. Manifest needed.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jodilee
Rookie
Rookie

Transcription of Pass. Manifest needed.

Post by jodilee »

I have located a passenger sheet at ellis island that has my great grandfather on it. I also noticed that there are several other people going to the same address or that have the ""di"" attached to it. I assume the "di" to mean that they are related somehow, someway.

Unfortunately I can't read the sheet any more, when I try to figure it all out I get confused as to who belongs to who and with whom.

Angela Di Canida Raffa Mar 30, 1905 Naples LINE# 0016 is the name I located the manifest under, my ggrandfather is Carmelo RAFFA, he married Maria Pendolfi/o who is also on the same manifest.

From what I can gather it looks like they were cousins who married, please tell me I'm wrong.....

I would appreciate a list of names and relationships if possible.

This is a great request and I understand if there are no responses.

Thanks so Much.................Jodi
Researching: CANTONI, KAHRS, LEVATI, RAFFA, DORST, HUFNAGEL, BRUSCHI, RUSH, FERRARI, CARUSO, VELCAMP, BAER, BERNAUER, DEROGATIS, KLEIN, LARSEN, YARROW, MEOLA, POND, RAUCHWERGER,RIEBOLDT,WASSMER, WISE
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Transcription of Pass. Manifest needed.

Post by Esperanza »

jodilee wrote:I have located a passenger sheet at ellis island that has my great grandfather on it. I also noticed that there are several other 0021people going to the same address or that have the ""di"" attached to it. I assume the "di" to mean that they are related somehow, someway.

Unfortunately I can't read the sheet any more, when I try to figure it all out I get confused as to who belongs to who and with whom.

Angela Di Canida Raffa Mar 30, 1905 Naples LINE# 0016 is the name I located the manifest under, my ggrandfather is Carmelo RAFFA, he married Maria Pendolfi/o who is also on the same manifest.

From what I can gather it looks like they were cousins who married, please tell me I'm wrong.....

I would appreciate a list of names and relationships if possible.

This is a great request and I understand if there are no responses.

Thanks so Much.................Jodi
Hi Jodi,

Here's the ship record for all to view...

1905 Manifest

How it was entered in the Ellis database

0016. Raffa, Angela Di Canida F 20y S Italian So. S. Filippi del Niola
0021. Pandolfo, Maria di Antonio Frans.co F 19y S Italian So. S. Filippi del frala
0022. Rappa, Antonino Di Antonio M 31y M Italian So. S. Filippi del frala
-----------------------------------------------------
The Record Keeper of this manifest decided to include what seems to be the father's name of the passenger... nice idea, great idea, but understand that it can be confusing...

From what I can see.... what I can understand...

Angela Raffa di Carmelo

di = "of or from" ...

In this case "di" indicates "who's father is..."

Angela Raffa (who's father is Carmelo? Raffa)... 20y, female, single, Italian So., who last resided in S. Filippi del frala -, who's final destination is Newark - would be going to brother Carmelo? Raffa's home at 133 South St., Newark, NJ
------------------------

Pandolfo, Maria (who's father is Antonio Francesco Pandolfo) Female 19y Single Italian So., who last resided in S. Filippi del frala - going to cousin Carmelo Raffa's home at 133 South Canal St. (will check)... Newark, NJ
------------------------

Raffa, Antonino (who's father is Antonio Raffa) Male 31y Married Italian So., who last resided in S. Filippi del frala - would be joining his brother ______ Raffa (father is Antonio)... at 133 South Canal St. (will check)... Newark, NJ
-----------------------
I wouldn't use this manifest to determine whether Maria Pandolfo was the cousin and wife of Carmelo Raffa it could be totally false... you'd need to do further research on this.

Hope this helps, but other opinions would be appreciated...
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Esperanza wrote: -----------------------
I wouldn't use this manifest to determine whether Maria Pandolfo was the cousin and wife of Carmelo Raffa it could be totally false... you'd need to do further research on this.
Good summary on the manifest, Esperanza. :)

Hi Jodi,

I have to agree with Esperanzo. The only way to determine their relationship would be to trace their families in the Italian town of origin.

Do you know where they were born? Have any US documentation that shows this information? Know their mothers' names?

:) jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jodilee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jodilee »

WOW, Esperanza and JC.....great job. Lets see if I can add little bits of info here.

I do happen to have the marriage record for Maria Pendolfo and Carmelo Raffa. Great grandparents here. Dated APRIL 1st 1905, talk about shot gun...lol. I believe the manifest was dated march 30th. Now lets get to the confusing part: C & M's first 5 children are JOHN, MARIA, JOSEPHINE, CARMINE and FRANK. Keep for references.

The marriage record states the father of Carmelo as "John" same as first child but not CARMELO as on manifest. Of, course that means nothing his name could have been Carmelo Giuseppi. (first and 4th children.)
Carmelo Raffa's mother's maiden name is Maria Pendolfo, exatly the same as his bride/wifes name. Her parents were Frank (I assume Francisco, also name of 5th child) and Josephine,whose actual birth record states Giuseppina.

All 5 children names match with names on marriage record. I should now assume that the manifest is definately related to my family. And they ARE cousins!! Family member states that Angela is Carmelos sister, as does manifest.

Thanks for the transcript, I really appreciate the info. I haven'i tried yet but I'm hoping the link you provided will allow me to zoom in alittle better to transcribe it. I believe there are more family members on that manifest, quite possible: DEPASQUALE TRUTI surnames. Also I think there is yet another family member listed 2 pages forward on the manifest.

Thanks again............
Researching: CANTONI, KAHRS, LEVATI, RAFFA, DORST, HUFNAGEL, BRUSCHI, RUSH, FERRARI, CARUSO, VELCAMP, BAER, BERNAUER, DEROGATIS, KLEIN, LARSEN, YARROW, MEOLA, POND, RAUCHWERGER,RIEBOLDT,WASSMER, WISE
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Jodi,

You may have this, but if you don't, I can provide link to the images (2 pages).

1920 United States Federal Census
about Mary Raffa
Name: Mary Raffa
Home in 1920: Newark Ward 1, Essex, New Jersey
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's name: Carman
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Female
Year of Immigration: 1904
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 303
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Carman Raffa 38
Mary Raffa 35
John Raffa 13
Mary Raffa 12
Josephine Raffa 7
Frank Raffa 5
Carman Raffa 2 7/12

According to this census, Carman came abt. 1902 & Mary abt. 1904. All children born in New Jeresy.

jcsm
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 (can provide link)

Name: Carmine Raffa
City: Newark
County: Essex
State: New Jersey
Birth Date: 21 Nov 1881
Race: White

U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 (text only, no image)

Name: Carmine Raffa Jr
Birth Year: 1917
Race: White, citizen
Nativity State or Country: New Jersey
State: New Jersey
County or City: Monmouth

Enlistment Date: 10 Jun 1941
Enlistment State: New Jersey
Enlistment City: Trenton
Branch: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Branch Code: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Grade: Private
Grade Code: Private
Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)
Source: Civil Life

Education: Grammar school
Civil Occupation: Tracktor Driver* or Truck Driver, Heavy or Chauffeur or Truck Driver, Light An asterisk (*) appearing after a job title indicates that a trade test for the particular occupation will be found in the United States Employment Service Manual, Oral Trade Test
Marital Status: Single, without dependents
Height: 65
Weight: 128

jcsm
jodilee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jodilee »

Thank you.......JCSM. Been working on this branch most of the day. Still excited about the manifest. I also found the 1902 manifest for Carmelo and noticed that there were 2 men travelling with him by the last name of PENDOLFO. If might be possible that these men were Maria Pendolfos brothers. What a great find for the day.............Much Appreciated
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Jodi,

You're welocme. Let us know if you need further assistance at anytime in your research. Always someone around to answer questions, provide records, next step pointers, etc.

Good luck in your research.

jcsm