Can some one read this?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Can some one read this?

Post by nuccia »

I need help in making out the dates and names on this birth act. Can anyone help, please?

Click Here

I have edited a bit to see if its any clearer..

Here is the original..

Original
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Can some one read this?

Post by suanj »

First page
number act 326: FUDA Caterina

the year 1869, the day 19 of August month, to hours 6.00 P.M. and minutes.... in the Town Hall, in my presence A... BARONE Ferdinando Major and civil records Officer of Caulonia Common, it is appeared FUDA Nicola late Vincenzo of age 32, domiciled in Caulonia ... that declared me, that, to hours 4.00 P.M. of day 17 current month, in the house of Santa Maria Street, from SPANO' Grazia of Domenico of age 24, seamstress, legitimate wife cohabitant with he, it is born a child of female gender, that they given the first name of Caterina.
To above writing and to this act, they are present as withnesses LUCIANO Pasquale of age 43 and CALCIONE Vincenzo of age
50, farm hand, both residents in this Common.
Read the present act to declaring and to withnesses, is signed by me, having said the others of being illetterate..
:wink: suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks suanj. Much appreciated! :D :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Nuccia,

You didn't state which birth act we are supposed to be looking at. I'm assuming the Caterina Fuda Birth Act.

If it's the first Birth Act then here is the quick version.

Nicola Fuda, son of the late Vincenzo, of age 32

and his wife, Grazia Spano, daughter of Domenico, of age 24,

had the child (a girl) named Caterina

on August 18, 1889 at 4:00pm on Via Santa Maria.

Is this the one you wanted, or is it #2 or #3? And if it's the first Act, the year is 1889 not 1869.

Smile for me!:)
Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thank you Trish..You're right..it is 1889. :D

Unfortunately its not the person I was looking for. :( :(
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

yes 1889 right ! my eyes are no very well!!!kisses, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Suanj,

It's not your fault about stating the wrong date. The document is of poor quality. Therefore, people make this common mistake all the time.

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Yes, the document is definitely of poor quality..the only reason I realized it was 1889 is because I was looking at the film from 1889 that Trish suggested to find my grandmother birth act...I assumed it was her because of the name although I should have realized it wasn't...my grandmother was Domenica Caterina so I goofed there!

Trish, Suanj I searched the whole film and haven't found my grandmothers birth act.

I was always told she was born in 1889 in Mammola but I guess she wasn't. Was is my next step?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi nuccia you can say us all data that you have abt your grandmother? kisses, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Nuccia,

Just like we ask everyone else here on the forum, what actual proof do you have on your ancestor?

Do you have her death certificate? This could tell you her parents' names as well as maybe a town of origin.

Do you have her marriage record? Depending if it was in Italy or Canada, it could have some great clues on it. If it was Italy, it would state what town she was born in.

I don't remember you telling me about your mother's side while I was conducting the research for your father's side. Hmmm.... but then again, my mind is going..LOL So maybe I forgot what you had asked me about your mother's side. But you also have to remember that your ancestor could have been born within a 5 year span of the birth year you have.

Also, if you are using the films from the Province of Reggio di Calabria, then I suggest that you go through the whole roll of film for there are various towns on the film for that year.

I'm doing that right now with those films from Reggio di Calabria for the towns of Pazzano and Bivogni.

Please tell us what actual documentation you have on her and what information the family has told you about her.

I'm always happy to help.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Again!

I only have a "Memory Card" from my grandmothers death that states her birth date as August 24 1889 and her death date as April 14, 1975 Locri, Regio Calabria. I know the death date is correct..I remember it since I was only in Canada 14 days when it happened. Dad says she was born in Mammola.

I have tried writing to Mammola twice with no answer..I even emailed them. I did get a hold of someone in Locri who said she first married in Locri in 1913 and they were going to send the information but they never did. I can only guess her birth year is wrong..the films Trish gave me are correct.

This is the film I ordered for Domenica Caterina Fuda..

Nati 1889 Benestare - Stilo Morti 1889 Agnana - Siderno Marina - FHL INTL Film [ 1800909 ]

Lots of Fudas listed but my grandmother wasn't one of them. Should I order more film from the year before and the year after? If so which one would that be? God, I wish I could just get an answer from Italy..If I had the actual death certificate or even her first marriage certificate it would make things easier.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Nuccia,

So you are stating that Caterina was 86 years old when she died?

Did she come to the USA? Do you have a census record on her? Or did she go to Canada?

Can you get her death certificate?

Do you have any of the birth records for her children? It should list her age. Remember some women lied about their age!

Also did you look for Domenica instead of Caterina? Maybe Caterina was her nick name.

I had an ancestor who came to the USA named Rosario and they called him Frank. No one knows where the nickname came from for Rosario didn't have a middle name.

I went through the Reggio di Calabria films and narrowed down some just for the birth Acts for Mammola. (while I order my Pazzano films, I'll keep a look out for you)

Nati 1887 Agnana - Siderno Superiore - FHL INTL Film [ 1800787 ]
Nati 1888 Agnana - Stilo - FHL INTL Film [ 1800866 ]
Nati, matrimoni, morti, pubblicazioni, cittadinanze 1890 Gioiosa Ionica - Stilo - FHL INTL Film [ 1801550 ]
Nati, matrimoni, morti, pubblicazioni, cittadinanze 1891 Bianco - Mammola - FHL INTL Film [ 1801551 ]
Nati, matrimoni, morti, pubblicazioni, cittadinanze 1891 Mammola - Stilo Nati, matrimoni, morti, pubblicazioni, cittadinanze 1892 Bovalino - Riace - FHL INTL Film [ 1801553 ]

Still thinking of ideas for you to try.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Trish,

Thank You for all your help. I have my Dad's birth certificate but because she was previously married to my grandfathers brother who died in the War she married in the comune therefore the mothers name on Dad's birth certificate is listed as unknown. All his brothers and sisters birth certificates state the same thing.

She did have a child with her first husband who is still alive (she 94 years old) but I'm having trouble obtaining her birth certificate or any other certificates for that matter..no one is answering my letters and its been a year now.

I have no problem ordering any films you suggest..plan to keep them all on permanent loan at the FHC anyway. Once they're here I don't plan to let any go since you never know when you might need them again. Besides, at $21. for 3 rentals I think is fairly cheap if I do it a it at a time.

By the way..couldn't find Domenica anywhere..and yes, Caterina was either a nickname or middle name...all the first born females (born to the sons) in my family were named Caterina though...and those born to the daughters gave the second females the name Caterina.

By the way Trish..sent you a PM...
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database