Stuck again

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie

Stuck again

Post by SimoneTessitore »

You guys have been such miracle worker for me and for others, maybe you could give this one a try.

My grandmother, Philomena Palladina(o) came over on the Moltke in Oct 1911 via Ellis. Stayed in Schenectady for a few years then the family moved to New Haven CT around 1919, when Philomena was 11. I assume her marriage to Francesco Viscuso was in 1924 because her first child, Margaret was born in 1925. She then had Rose in 1927, Jean in 1928 and Mary (Rusty) in 1929 or 1930.

Now the mystery is that I found Philomena in the 1930 census in a county poor house called Sprinside Home in New Haven Connecticut in April 1930. No husband, no baby. Just her and the first three girls. I haven't been able to find any manifests for Francesco, or marriage papers, or military, or divorce or census or death. He's just gone. Of course having almost no information on him doesn't help, and I'm working on that with the family. But for now what you see is what I've got.

Where's Francesco?

Simone
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Stuck again

Post by wldspirit »

Without something to identify Francesco, locating anything would be speculative. How old was he? Was he born in Italy, or could he have been born in US?

There are several coming into the US of varying ages and going to NY, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Rhode Island.

Have you tried to locate church info on the children? A baptism record could reveal further clues on the father.

The best possible clue would have been the 1930 census, but he is not with her....so even if he was found, how do we confirm he is the right one?? :?

Maybe someone will have some further suggestions......
wldspirit
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Simone..could she have been pregnant with the last child when she lived there?

Like wldspirit said we need more info. Were they married in the USA? Maybe documentation would be your best bet here.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Excellent point Nuccia..... :D
Lee
SimoneTessitore
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SimoneTessitore »

Unfortunately I don't have any answers. I do think she may have been pregnant with her last child while in the 'poor house'. I'll keep you guys posted if I get any other info.
Simone
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

You know exactly where she was in 1930, check into the local parishes.
May be a long shot...but you never know till you try....... :wink:
wldspirit