Surname: Marruffo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Dmarruffo

Surname: Marruffo

Post by Dmarruffo »

I was hoping to find some more information on my surname Marruffo. Half of the family says it's Sicilian...any input from you all would be helpful. :)
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The surname MARRUFFO is non existent in Italy and there is no record of a Marruffo entering the USA at the Ellis island website. Consequently, there appears to be an error in spelling which, if true, occuirred after entry into the USA of an ancestoir from Italy since valid italian government passport in the correct name had to have been presented to US Immigration and that name would then appear in the Ellis island records. Do you happen to know the correct spelling? Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Perhaps it might help if I advise you that there is a MARRUFFA (not o but A) that originated in Alberobello, Bari, Italy. There is one listing so look it up at www.ellisisland.org and see if this is the ancestor you recognize. Peter
Dmarruffo

Post by Dmarruffo »

I do know that our last name started as Marrufo, and my grandfather added an extra 'f' but other wise I know of nothing. I did come across Arruffo, and am looking into that to see if there is a connection and an ancester added an 'M' along the way.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Maruffo is a surname from Merida Mexico and there are only 6 enmtries of Mexican nationals at Ellis Island. it may be possilbe that your grandfather entered the USA at a port other than NYC. If you wish to send form 81 to NARA for the Marrufa surname for the entire USA.Go to www.genealogylookups.com/narchives.htm for form 81 and perhaps there is a record of his arrival in Boston or Philadelphia, baltimore etc. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I am sorry the Mexico surname is marrufo and not the way I spelled it. Peter
Dmarruffo

Post by Dmarruffo »

Merida Mexico..that makes sense only because my ancestors lived in El Paso, Texas, and a large portion of my family on my dad's side still does. I also checked out Spain, and found that Marrufo came from Cordova, Spain...but need to dig a little deeper now that your information has come through. I am also going to send that form 81 just to be sure. Your information has been invaluable - and greatly, greatly appreciated :D
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I'm here! peter