Alia, Palermo, Sicily Families

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kelwien

Re: Alia, Palermo, Sicily Families

Post by kelwien »

I have located my family members from Alia. The surnames are Martino, Cimo, Lo Savio. The Martinos came over in the 1890s to New Orleans. Great grandparents Vincenzo Martino and Pasqua Cimo Martino, their children Calogero, Ciro, Carolina, Giovanna, and Beatrice came over in 1899. Ciro, my grandfather married Calogeria (Carolina) Lo Savio. Giovanna married a LaCorte and Beatrice married a DeMarco. Anyone with connections?
BMDrama

Post by BMDrama »

I am looking for information on a James or Joseph Scaccia who migrated from Italy to settle in New Orleans,LA. and had a daughter named Rosanna(or something similar starting w/ ROS) who married a Dimonte. Please help if u can!

THANX!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

BMDrama wrote:I am looking for information on a James or Joseph Scaccia who migrated from Italy to settle in New Orleans,LA. and had a daughter named Rosanna(or something similar starting w/ ROS) who married a Dimonte. Please help if u can!

THANX!
and the birthyears..? you can provide it?
I found a marriage record in Olrenas, LA:

Catalano Salvatora age 19 married at Scaccia Giuseppe age 30 in the 10/25/1894

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Soniajune

Post by Soniajune »

I too am trying to trace members of the SCIACCA family who were from Alia.

I am looking for three brothers who may have been sons of FRANCESCO SCIACCA and MARIA GRAZIA LATONA:
1. Vitale Sciacca, born March 1863
2. Guiseppe Sciacca, born c. 1864?
3. Salvatore Sciacca, born 8 Feb 1866

Vitale, sometimes called Victor in the US lived in New Orleans until his death.
Guiseppe and Salvatore settled in Los Angeles, California around the turn of the century.

Does anyone have information regarding these families and allied lines? I am doing this research as a surprise for a friend who is a descendant of Guiseppe Sciacca. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Sonia Meyer
Hacienda Heights, California
CaliDon

Post by CaliDon »

My hobby is researching the town of Alia where my grandfather was born adn emigrated from in 1880 to New Orleans and ended up in the San Fernando Valley.
The sources for 1851-1861 is the Albert Robicahux book and the birthdates from 1820s to 1860 are from the yearly indexes, as well as the 1862-1865 dates form the LDS Family History Center for Alia.
I realize my dates for Vitale and Gisueppe are diffferent, but that is what I found.

Descendants of Vitale Sciacca

1. Vitale Sciacca
sp: Rosalia Centanni (m.Bef 1822)
2. Francesco Sciacca (b.Apr 1822-Alia,Palermo,Sicily;d.7 Oct 1824-Alia,Palermo,Sicily)
2. Anna Rosalia Sciacca (b.3 Jan 1825-Alia,Palermo,Sicily)
2. Antonino Rosario Sciacca (b.10 Nov 1827-Alia,Palermo,Sicily)
sp: Serafina Vincenza Di Stefano (b.21 Dec 1835-Alia,Palermo,Sicily;m.21 Jan 1855)
3. Vitale Sciacca (b.13 Nov 1855-Alia,Palermo,Sicily)
3. Giuseppe Maria Sciacca (b.14 Feb 1858-Alia,Palermo,Sicily)
3. Rosalia Sciacca (b.5 Aug 1860-Alia,Palermo,Sicily)
2. Francesco Giuseppe Sciacca (b.26 Mar 1831-Alia,Palermo,Sicily)
sp: Maria Grazia La Tona (b.Abt 1838-Alia,Palermo,Sicily;m.8 Nov 1857)
3. Vitale Sciacca (b.13 Oct 1859-Alia,Palermo,Sicily)
3. Giuseppe Sciacca (b.28 Jan 1862-Alia,Palermo,Sicily)
2. Leonarda Maria Sciacca (b.2 Jul 1834-Alia,Palermo,Sicily)
2. Maria Sciacca (b.10 Jun 1840-Alia,Palermo,Sicily)
sp: Salvadore Patti (b.6 May 1828-Alia,Palermo,Sicily;m.26 Sep 1858)
3. Caterina Patti (b.18 Apr 1860-Alia,Palermo,Sicily)

I will keep looking for more info
Soniajune

Post by Soniajune »

Thank you so very much! I had abstracted the Alia SCIACCAS from the LDS Family History site, but was having trouble putting it together. Joanne, another member of this site, also generously did lookups for me in the Albert Robicahux book in response to my e-mail. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your responses. Perhaps in the New Year I will finally have something special to share.

I considered buying the Robicahux book but since it covers 1851-1861, the cost seemed prohibitive for my needs. I did purchase "Bread and Respect - The Italians of Louisiana" by A. V. Margavio and Jerome J. Salomone, and as soon as I have a sourced genealogy, will give them as a gift to my friend.

Thanks again!

Sonia Meyer
Hacienda Heights, CA
cinderella

Post by cinderella »

I, too, am looking for Alia Scaccias. Does anyone have information on Cajeani Scaccia, born approx. 1727? His wife was Luciana Genco.

Thank you!
kelwien

Post by kelwien »

An interesting fact:

In 1836 there was a devastating cholera epidemic in Sicily. About half the residents of Alia died. Those who lived are shown by genetic research-there is a genetic research center in Alia now--to not be of Sicilian or Italian stock. Those who died were Sicilian. Those who survived are related to eastern European peoples. So if you have ancestors born in Siciliy before the early 19th century you probably carry genetic code that makes you immune to several terrible plagues. Also it makes you eastern European!!!

There is an interesting video I have from www.sicilyvideo.it, called ALIA Citta' Giardino. A beautiful traveloge and history of Alia. It also talks about the research center. It is available in English and those Aliese here would really enjoy it.
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denman922 »

I am researching "Rotolo" also, but my line comes from Rizziconi,Calabria.

Has your family been in New Orleans a long time? Are you familiar with the story about the Italians that were lynched in New Orleans in The largest single lynching incident in America's history? in 1892. very interesting, they made a movie about it called "Vendetta" with Christopher Walken.

I am writing a book on my family history and am 70% completion. I used this story in my book and researched it extensively if you or anyone else reading this is interested.
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ
cinderella

Post by cinderella »

Where can I find out more about the cholera outbreak in Alia? All of my ancestors are Sicilian and come from Alia or Roccapalumba.
In checking with the LDS Family History Library catalog, they only have microfilm that covers Alia to 1820. I need records well before that. Any ideas where I can look?
ssulli3

Post by ssulli3 »

My mother's family name is Rumfola. I can't trace anything back further than 3 generations. I know we originated from somewhere near Sicily and wanted to find out more since I will be there in a few weeks. They came to the Baton rouge La. area also.
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

It's very interesting to me that Alia is a town in Sicily. The reason I say this is because my grandmother's surname is Alia. They are from Santa Croce in Sicily. :)
CaliDon

Post by CaliDon »

To Kelwien
The number of deaths for Alia in during the cholera epidemic of 1837 (especially july and August) was closer to 400-500 out of a population of 3000+, still very tragic. Sometimes whole families died. I am interested in the genetics. Where can I find the paper discussing it. Thanks in advance. Also what do you know of the genetic center of Alia, what does it have to offer. I was there a few years ago, but no one talked about it.
To Cinderella
I have seen that the church records of Roccapalumba prior to 1820 were filmed by the LDS, not so lucky with the church records of Alia. I have had some luck finding records prior to 1820 for Alia by looking at the Matrimonio Allegati for Alia. These are the marriage records that must be submitted to the (municipal) authorities in order to get married. They contain birth records for bride and groom, and death records of previous spouse(s), parents, and sometimes grandparents. Unfortunately not all marriages have allegati, and don't know why not. Also Cajeani Scaccia, looks like Gaetano.
To denman922
Thre are no Rumfola in Alia, but there are many Runfola. If your ancestors came from Alia, let me know and may be able to help
kelwien

Post by kelwien »

To Calidon:

There is an abstract of one paper at this site:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... i_n9178664

To Lynnef:
In researching my family a key clue was found on the death record of my great grandfather. The priest wrote the place of birth as Ilio. I researched that name and found it was very old because the name is connected to Homer (Iliad). That led me to Alia and there we found the birth records of my grandfather, grandmother, and of course all of my aunts and uncles. Without the clue of Ilio I would probably still be looking. I am 67 and everybody who knew where my grandfather was born were dead. And the Commune are not good in sharing records.

I was not doing geneology, I was trying to support the fact that I could have dual citizenship under Italian law. And with that clue I eventually got all of the documents to support that claim which I have submitted to the Consulate (who found them to appropriate documentation) here in Vienna, where I currently live.
kelwien

Post by kelwien »

To denman922:

My family was from Alia and there was a cousin living in Houston when I was a child with the name Rumfola, but then it could have been a spelling error in the immigration records. I know many people who kept the names on the immigration records and passed the names to their children, because it was easier than getting corrections made.