Minicucci-need help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Minicucci-need help

Post by crossl »

Hi everyone,
I am trying to locate my aunt's gravesite in Montreal and need help. Her name was Giovanna Minicucci ( Campestri maiden name). She was born in 1919 in Casacalenda, Molise, Italy. She was married at age 17 in probably April, 1937 to Michele Minicucci. She disbarked in NY on May 13, 1937 and they went to live in Montreal ( City of Verdun). She died around Nov/Dec of that same year ( 1937 ).
I believe she was buried in an unmarked grave somewhere in Montreal. I would like to find her death record and the cemetery where she is buried.
Any help would be appreciated.

Merry Xmas to all,
Frank
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Minicucci-need help

Post by nuccia »

Have you tried this website??

www.findagrave.com

They're great at this stuff and have transcribed many cemeteries..you may find someone willing to do a look up for you or find an obit.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you!

Happy Holidays...
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

you also can write in Casacalenda town hall, because normally the emigrants informed of some events the common of birth for the registration.. maybe you can have the death date ... and sure the marriage date...for to know better you must to descover the 1937's Minicucci address in Montreal ( by application passport, on the ship's manifest are the both passport numbers , you must to see for Michele canadian passport), and so, by address you can find the right cemetery and to start a search.. Merry Christmas, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crossl »

Thanks for the replies, if I do find the cemetery would they know where she is buried even though she might be in an unmarked grave? Would they know the plot she's in?

Merry Xmas, Frank
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Frank: the search start from right data.. documents... if you find the cemetery, it are a list of burials in all cemeteries.. I don't think that Giovanna is in a unmarked grave... however, also, many italians, well, after some year they asked the decesead for to put it in italian cemetery in birth locations... so she can be in Montreal or in Casacalenda... suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crossl »

Hello Suanj, thank you for your reply. My aunt is definetely buried in Montreal. I want to find her death certficate which hopefully would tell me what she died fom and hopefully what cemetery she is buried in. I am fairly sure she is in an unmarked grave also. I found the address she was living in at time of her death so maybe this will help me as well. I want to find her gravesite before her sister (age 93) and brother (age 91), my aunt and uncle, pass away. They are still living in Italy. Her story is quite a sad one and I wish to place a proper headstone for her when I find her burial site.
Thanks for everyone's help in this.
Frank

Merry Xmas, Fran
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Frank, why you think that Giovanna is in a unmarked grave? This is impossible for italian culture... only when is unknown the name the decesead have a unmarked grave... as it is possible that Michele don't give the young spouse name for the grave? she was a girl, died so young... however from unmarked graves list of nov-dec 1937 in Montreal.. perhaps you can find some little trace... best wishes, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crossl »

Merry Xmas Suanj, when my mother, Giovanna sister, asked her husband Michele to take her to her grave, he did not know where it was. He took her to a cemetery in Montreal but was unable to show her the grave. My mother has been dead for many years now so I don't know where that cemetery was. How would I get a list of unmarked graves for Nov/Dec 1937?

Ciao, Frank
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

you must ask in the cemetery, near address house in 1937.. also I believe that it was a medical report and a death record in Montreal town hall... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Frank.......

1. Got your note. Been working and then the season hit and I never read your message till just now. Sorry. Will recoup and find out the info you listed and then get to work on it. Have not been doing a lot of library work for about four or five months. Ready to dig back in. Don't give up on me yet!

2. Looked at the list of those interred at Cemeterie Nortre-Dame-des-Neiges and she is not listed there...but Michele Minicucci is. This would be my first choice as place to find her. Most women listed by maiden name in this cemetery. Verdun is within 5 miles of this so makes sense. However, you can go to this site: http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.cemet ... ec/mb.ashx

This is the ancestry message boards for posting requests about relatives in Canadian cemeteries...worth a shot. Have you attempted to request a death certificate? Possibly you could check out churches in Verdun and see if they have a listing for her...particularly if it is an Italian Church.

An Italian Church in Montreal is Madonna della Defessa at 6800 Henri-Julien Ave. This is the church built in great part by the descendents of people from Casacalenda...it is a replica of the Church in Casacalenda by the same name...quite interesting place. Anyway, good place to write to find out about people from Casacalenda in the Montreal community. They may be able to help.

Also, don't have the address, but there is a Casacalendesi organization in Montreal that might be able to help as well. Look on the internet and see what you can find.

Back later of the other......sorry for the delay.....
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crossl »

Hello Essgee, good to hear from you. I have sent for a copy of the death record so hopefully I can get some info from that. I have called all of the cemeteries in the montreal area and they all say they don't have her. Also called some of the funeral homes in the Verdun area, no luck there either. My uncle and aunt in Casacalenda believe she is in a non Catholic cemetery. Would like to find her before they pass on - they're 91 and 93.

On the Di Genova search I have started getting some birth records in so I am going thru them. I had not given up on you Susan and greatly appreciate your help.I am glad that everything is ok with you.

Regards, Frank
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Frank........

If I had an aunt and uncle in Casacalenda I would have one of their children get the info I needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe you actually have relatives there that you are in contact with. Surely they can tell you about the Church records and the older records...or know someone there that can find out for you!

I am so jealous!!!!!!!!!! But I am also on my way to the library on Tuesday and will see what I can find.

By the way, there is a major cemetery right next to Nortre-Dame-des-Neiges in Montreal on the same hill....it is the city cemetery. Might be a good place to look for a non-catholic individual...might try them.

Back later.........Susan
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crossl »

Hello Susan, it is nice to talk to them still. My uncle is not well and he just lost his wife on Xmas day. This is a very sad story and they really don't know what happened. Giovanna had only been married a few months and the husband was never on good terms with them so he would not tell them what actually happened or where she is. I really want to find her before they pass on - would mean so much to them after all these years. Is the cemetery you're referring to Mount Royal? I have called them and no luck.

Regards, Frank
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Another 24 hours at least...library closed today because of snow flurries and schools let out. Whenever schools close, library closes........................was heavy for a while, but nothing now on the ground.................ugg. Keep your fingers crossed that the schools are open tomorrow...otherwise will be Thursday.......Back later
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crossl »

Does anyone have acces to birth records for Larino, Campobasso, prov. Molise. As stated in another post, my grandfather ( Giovanna father) was an illigitimate child whose birth might be registered there. His birth was Dec. 20, 1884, although raised by a family in Casacalenda, I heard he was born in Larino. I have not checked the Casacalenda birth for him as I don't have that film at the church yet.

Thanks, Frank