Ready for the next steps-- Need advice!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sweethreads

Ready for the next steps-- Need advice!

Post by sweethreads »

:) Hi all!

My name is Marie and I've been lurking here since early November. I've been researching for some time and have collected tons of info on family in America, including census records, ships manifests and ss records. I have been able to construct a fairly comprehensive family tree from this info. Since a large part of my family activity took place in NY City and I am on Long Island, I soon plan to spend a day in the vital records bureau to confirm many of the facts I have discovered.

At this point, I'm ready to focus on research that will take me closer to finding family still living in Italy such as marriage/birth/death records for my great-great grandparents & most important--siblings of my great grand parents & grand parents, particularly those who remained in Italy.

I need advice on which LDS records to order. This is what I know so far:

Maternal Great Grandparents: I have exact birth dates and places for both sets, their marriage records and the full names of their parents.

Paternal Great Grandparents: I have only their names, approximate dates of birth and death (in Italy) and the location/dates of my grandparents births (also in Italy).

I assume finding my paternal great-grandparents marriage records would be the best place to start (followed by all GG grandparents marriage records). What is a good "formula" for chosing a starting search year?

Next, I would like some advice on writing to potential family in Italy. I found several of the form letters on-line and with the help of my son (who took Italian for 6 years but still can't speak well) have put together a preliminary letter that I am happy with. When addressing the envelope, what is the correct form? For example, I have this address from the Terlizzi white pages:

Bonaduce, Anna
70038 Terlizzi (BA) - Via Marconi Guglielmo, 9

Is this sufficient info for mailing? If so, in what order should it appear on the envelope? If not, what do I need to add? What should the value of the included International Reply Coupon be?

Also, what is a reasonable/polite number of letters to send out at once? Scioli & Di Sciascio may not be common names in America, but in the small town of Guardiagrele, IT, there are nearly 40 listings of each.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this post-- Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Ciao!

Maria Luigia
Researching:
In Guardiagrele: Scioli, Di Sciascio,
Della Penna, Di Pretoro/
In Terlizzi: Bonaduce, Cipriani/
In Muro Lucano: Bucato, Lombardi/
In Sarno: Verdino, Fiorentino/
Also surnames Mottola & Bruno in Southern Italy
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Ready for the next steps-- Need advice!

Post by wldspirit »

A guide to writing letters to Italy:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/ ... talian.ASP

wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Marie & welcome to the forum,

If you would like to provide the Italian town names, we can check for available LDS films for you.

I would write the address as:

Anna Bonaduce
Via Marconi Guglielmo, 9
70038 Terlizzi (BA)
ITALY

International reply coupons are $1.75 each & one usually covers the return postage.

Hope this helps some.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
sweethreads

Post by sweethreads »

wldspirit wrote:A guide to writing letters to Italy

http//www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/RG/fram ... talian.ASP

wldspirit
Thank you, wldspirit. This site was helpful for the correct form for addressing the envelopes.

However, I still need some idea of how much to make the postal reply coupons for. Has anyone sent these with their letters to potential relatives?What is an appropriate amount to send? I would like to have some idea before I actually go to the post office.

Thanks!

Maria Luigia
Researching:
Della Penna, Di Pretoro/
sweethreads

Post by sweethreads »

jcsm400 wrote:If you would like to provide the Italian town names, we can check for available LDS films for you.

I would write the address as:

Anna Bonaduce
Via Marconi Guglielmo, 9
70038 Terlizzi (BA)
ITALY

International reply coupons are $1.75 each & one usually covers the return postage.
Thank you, JCSM!

I am researching Terlizzi, Guardiagrele & Muro Lucano. My fathers mother's family is from Sarno but I understand there are no LDS records for Salerno. It that correct?

I just need help with dates/range to begin looking. How many records can you order at one time?

Maria Luigia

Marie
Researching:
Della Penna, Di Pretoro/
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Marie,

Films available for Giurdiagrele (civil records 1809-1900):

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

Civil records 1809-1910 for the town of Terlizzi:

For Mottola (1809-1861):

For Muro Lucano (covers 1810-1865):

For records not included on the above films:

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Roma, 39
85054 Muro Lucano (PZ)
ITALY
email:info@muro-lucano.it
Fax: (+39) 0976-71917

You are correct. There are no available films for the town of Sarno. Here is the contact information.

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via IV Novembre
84087 Sarno (SA)
ITALY
email: sindaco@comune.sarno.sa.it
fax:(+39) 081-5137379

When writing/emailing, correspondance should be in Italian. Written requests should include a self addressed return envelope, a copy of your photo ID, and international reply coupon(s). I like to include one IRC for every 2/3 records requested.

A form letter that will translate your request into Italian.

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, please let us know. We are here to help.

:) jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
teakandreggie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by teakandreggie »

Marie,
I requested my grandparent's birth certificate from Italy 10/1/09.
My grandfather's birth certificate came 4 wks later from Acquaviva Delle Fonti. I am still waiting for my grandmother's from Terlizzi. How long does it take to get a response from Terlizzi?
Teak