D'Onofrio Family from Casacalenda, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sean.kinney

D'Onofrio Family from Casacalenda, Italy

Post by sean.kinney »

My Great grandfather immagrated to the USA in 1920 through Ellis Island. He really dint share any information with his children about the mother land and his family there. My grandmother asked me if I could find any information on my ancestors online, and so that brings me here. I tried a few sites with fee's and you pay and get no results. Can anyone help me along my way? He is from Casacalenda, Italy and his name was Francesco D'Onofrio. He came to the USA on November 1st 1920.

Any info would be greatly appreaciated!
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: D'Onofrio Family from Casacalenda, Italy

Post by Essgee »

I can help. Next trip to the Library on Thursday...have all the Casacalenda records on loan. Can you give me an idea of when he should have been born? Where did he settle in the USA? What was the names of his wife and children?

Need all this to find him in the records. If he was born after 1900, important to know the name of his first children...and his wife's name, first and last...may help. Records that are filmed stop with 1900.

Let me know what you have and I will get the records for you.

Essgee
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Is this record correct? vj

possible manifest

1 Nov 1920 SS Regina d Italia Napoli to NY
line 7
Francesco D'Onofrio 25 (abt 1895)
- married
- last residence: Casacalenda, Campobasso
- wife in Casacalenda Adelina Maiorana
- going to Portland, Oregon
stamped: res. usa ret.
possible naturalization notations:
664807-11/18/30 xxxx 417/671 and 1/5/25
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Thanks.....that will help a great deal....
sean.kinney

Post by sean.kinney »

That manifest sems correcet except he wasnt married when he came to the usa, and he was coming to meet family from upstate ny. hmm...
sean.kinney

Post by sean.kinney »

at least that was his story
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Sean......it is important that you give us what you know relative to where he lived, name of wife and children, etc.... In order to get the correct records, this is necessary...... Thanks.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi Essgee & Sean!
Been looking thru ancestry...
Not many Fran. D'Onofrio with an 1895 birth year.
The notation on the manifest "ret.usa.res."
he was in the US before?
Found one Providence RI manifest in 1913.
Going to Toronto to join brother Pasquale...

As Essgee said above :wink: , we need a bit more
information to make sure we have the correct Francesco.
Thanks! vj

possible 1st manifest line 837
page 2 line 6
April 1913 SS Madonna to Providence RI
Francesco Donofrio, 18 (1894-5)
- single
- last residence Casacalenda
- relative in Casacalenda father Carmine??
- going to Toronto, joining brother Pasquale
- born in Casacalenda
note: may be travelling w/line 836 - going same location
sean.kinney

Post by sean.kinney »

You all are amazing! How fast you find info. So I talked to my grandmother more... F. D'Onofrio's Daughter. Here is the Geneology and Timeline as she recalls it. Doesnt mean it is 100% correct but here is what i have... I really appreaciate all of the help.

Francesco D'Onofrio - Home Town was Casacalenda, Supposedly his fater died when he was young, but my grandmother is suspect and thinks it may have been illagitimate. He came to the usa when he was 21 my Grandma thinks. He came here to avoid mandatory military service in italy. He left his family behind in Italy. He definately came through ellis island and was supposed to have come here to meet up with family members from upstate new york state. Supposedly he was sickly when they took him in and did not want to take care of him, so he left and moved to New York City. He worked as a book binder and married a woman with the last name guarino. The had 5 children. The oldest was a son name Vincent who passed away after being hit with a rock in the head. They then had three daughters Oldest Josephine, Then Michelina, Then my grandmother Pauline. When Vincent Died My great grandfather was so distrought that he had another child, a son, naming him Vincent as well. Josephine Married in NJ to a Delliacano, Michelina Married a man in NJ and Became a Johnson, And Pauline married my grandfather James, and Became Pauline Kiesling. There is no knowledge of any brothers or sisters for Francesco, my grandmother only has one memory of him visiting his family in Upstate NY. His wife, Had a sister whom is still alive in Brooklyn NYC, Her name is Mildred Guarino. She was born in the usa, as was her sister, who married my great grandfather. I am going to see if i can get any more info but this is what I have so far.... Later in life Francesco moved from the Bronx to NJ where he lived out the remainder of his like well into his 90's in the town of Winfield Park. He Died in the early 80's I believe he passed in Rahway Hospital in Union NJ.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Would this record be correct??

Social Security Death Index
about Frank Donofrio
Name: Frank Donofrio
SSN:
Last Residence: 07036 Linden, Union, New Jersey, United States of America
Born: 23 Mar 1889
Died: Dec 1983
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951 )

Age at time of death abt. 94.

wldspirit
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Sean.......

Good info...now we need a time line. If Wldspirit got his SSDI correct, then this gives us a date to go on. But we can use more info: What was the wife's FIRST name? When were the children born? Where--in the Bronx? Do you know the year Vincent died? When Josephine was born? How about your Grandmother...when was she born and where? (Children often born at home rather then the hospital and it helps to know the town of birth)

Good chance the name of Francesco's father is Vincenzo. Not unusual to name the next child of the same sex the same name as the child that died...particularly when that child is named for a grandparent. Not unusual at all.

We still need that one FACT that we can count on...it is very important. In genealogy you can only move backwards from what you know absolutely. We need some document that confirms age of birth, or something. Do you know when Frank and his wife married? Where?

I will check the library tomorrow---closed on Wednesdays--and see if I can find your Francesco. In the meantime, anything absolutely factual...like a date...is most appreciated. And so is the first name of the wife!

Hang in there, we will get to the bottom of all of this.
sean.kinney

Post by sean.kinney »

Social Security Death Index
about Frank Donofrio
Name: Frank Donofrio
SSN:
Last Residence: 07036 Linden, Union, New Jersey, United States of America
Born: 23 Mar 1889
Died: Dec 1983
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951 )

Age at time of death abt. 94.

This info is correct! WOW
sean.kinney

Post by sean.kinney »

My Great Grandfather was married to Mary Guarino
sean.kinney

Post by sean.kinney »

Thank you again to all those helping!
sean.kinney

Post by sean.kinney »

He married his wife I believe in brooklyn in 1916 abouts also. At the time he lived in utica NY.