Lamoya/Lamolli

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Sharpie

Lamoya/Lamolli

Post by Sharpie »

Hello,

I am in search of my last name Lamolli. I know it's not an original name. I do have a Census record of 1910 from Puerto Rico of my great, great grandfather which the name was spelled Lamoya. There is a place listed in the document but I can't seem to make it out. The handwritting is not that great. But, perhaps someone can make it out for me as I am not familiar with Italy and it's names and towns. Would appreciate any help. If anyone can me please let me know. As I do not know how to insert the document here. And hello to Peter Timber :)

Thanks

Sandra Lamoll[/img][/list]
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

why don't you tak the dopcument to your nearest high school where a foregin l;anguage is taught or a college or university where they teach romance languages, preferably italian and ask them to read the name of the town. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I did some checking and on November 6,2001 you stated tht you had an ellis Island manifest with a name of the town you couldn't read. is this the same document you are talking about now?? If so, what is the date of arrival of the ship in the manifest and at what port did it arrive at and what was the name of the passsenger ? Peter
caseybluemax

Handwriting help -

Post by caseybluemax »

I worked for approx. 15 years reading Spanish Name Extraction entries. First of all, make yourself a "cheat sheet" of "odd" letters (especially S, Y, I, G, J) comparing what you know to what you don't know - its sort of filling in the blanks. We even used tissue paper at times to hold what we HAD figured out over what we couldn't read (seems like S and I were the worst!) - Good Luck! Gayle :roll:
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Sandra I am awaiting your response about the ships manifest. Peter