Letter Translation Help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Biff83
Master
Master

Letter Translation Help

Post by Biff83 »

I have copies of a number of letters my grandfather sent to his sister in Italy in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Illiterate in both English and Italian when he emigrated in 1906, he learned to read and write in both languages. Before he sent a letter off to his sister, he would compose a draft copy in pencil and once he was happy with it, he would then do the final copy in ink and mail out. My cousin who recently found these letters sent me photo copies. Because of the poor quality of the copies, I'd like to post them here. They're all short. I've given them a stab using Babel Fish as well as an online dictionary but am still having some trouble, possibly due to spelling errors on my grandfather's part, some of the pecularities of the dialect, his use of contractions and lack of punctuation. Here's the first one transcribed to the best of my ability. I now have a better appreciation of the difficulties in transcrbing written records. Thanks in advance and if anyone has any questions about my transcription, please let me know.

Cara Sorella,

Venge con questi pochi righi per darvi notizia di noi tutti che la passamo bene cose spero sentire di voi ve natizio che il giorno 8 Novembre suc maritata la figlia del fratello Saverio ed sac sposato il figlio del di cicco Piraino e ciambio avuto un grande spiesalizio. Cara sorella non me allongo a darvi notizie ve scrivo questi pochi righi per dirrie che noi la passamo tutti bene laquale ve faro sapere che ve mando questo poco di moneta chi ve dona un solievo per le prossime feste natalizie piu apresso se me prendo umpo di tempo vo mando adire altre cose non altro io e la mia sposa e figli vi aguriamo buone feste natilizie e ve salutiamo uno per uno salutiamo la nostra ameca spinelli e sua famiglia.
Sparte ve saluto io caramente e me segno il vostro affimo.

Fratello Peppino

I've gotten bits and pieces. His brother's daughter recently married a Piraino on the 8th of November and a good time was had by all. He's also sending her a bit of money for her birthday or possibly for Christmas since the letter was sent dated 30 November. Also sends best wishes to a friend probably last name Spinelli.

My grandfather was the youngest in the family and was called "Peppino" by his parents and siblings.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Letter Translation Help

Post by elba »

Sorry Biff, but this is the best I could glean from the letter. Much is verging on ‘virtual dialect’ and without much punctuation I’ve had to guess a bit on where each sentence ‘might’ end.
The very last word – affimo – I couldn’t find or make sense of, but it would (I think) be an end to his endearments so I have guessed at ‘affection’.

I do hope this helps.
elba

Dear Sister,
I come with these few lines to bring you the news that we are all well and I hope to hear the same of you. Of the birth on the 8th November to the married woman the daughter of the (our?) brother Saverio and who married the son of Cicco Piraino and we boasted that they had a grand wedding . Dear sister I won't write more to give you other news, I am writing just these few lines just to tell you that we are all keeping well and to let you know that I send you this little bit of money that will give you a little lift over the coming Christmas festivities. Later I will take some time to send you more of our news not least of which will be about my wife and children. I wish you a good happy Christmas holiday and we say goodbye to each of you. Our best regards to our friend Spinelli and his family.
I leave you with my dearest wishes and I note your affection(?)

Brother Peppino
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Dialect????? :?

No wonder I actually understood it...I swear! 8O

And I was so proud of myself, too..figured my Italian was getting better since it was so easy to read! :roll:

Elba..I wish I was joking, here...but I'm not! :oops:
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Many thanks Elba.

I have a few other letters I'd like to post for translation today or tomorrow as time permits. As I said they're all fairly short.

Have to say you folks here are wonderful giving your time and efforts helping others get in touch with their past. It's greatly appreciated.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

No problem with other letters Biff, but I was able to do this one quickly for two reasons:
i. It was - as you said - short.
ii. It gave me an excuse for a break as I'm up to my eyes in translations at the moment.

This doesn't mean that your letters won't be translated - they almost certainly will - but it could be any of the translators, who like me, hang-out around here in the hopes of being able to help someone.

I am retired but still enjoy doing small translating jobs. Because they are small, many of the large translation firm's don't want to do or know about them. So people like me do at times - because we are 'one man bands' - become swamped.

There is also the question of a translators 'fortè' - mine for example is Italian to English including technical translations. Another translator may 'major' in English to Italian..... Most also include documents on their portfolio's though, as these are generally short and concise.
Best regards
elba
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

nuccia wrote:Dialect????? :?

No wonder I actually understood it...I swear! 8O

And I was so proud of myself, too..figured my Italian was getting better since it was so easy to read! :roll:

Elba..I wish I was joking, here...but I'm not! :oops:
Ha ha ha.... :D I'll send you something in Milanese then 'clever-clogs' - see if your extensive knowledge will let you read that too!!!! :lol:
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Ha ha ha.... Very Happy I'll send you something in Milanese then 'clever-clogs' - see if your extensive knowledge will let you read that too!!!! Laughing
Don't you dare! I'm confused enough as is it so please, no more help! I can't afford any more embarrassment... :lol:
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database