Need help understanding immigration record names in Ellis Is

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Tammyfromma

Need help understanding immigration record names in Ellis Is

Post by Tammyfromma »

:?:
Hi All! I'm here because I'm having trouble with some info. I have records of a Pietro D'Arrigo immigrating in sep 1916 with children, traveling to Buffalo, to his wife (fuzzy on the record but looks like "rosomerlo"). I've been trying to find when his wife arrived before him, and I just found a record of a Rosa Merlo arriving six months before with her son Grazio D'Arrigo (shows their last residence to be with Pietro, listing as her husband and Grazio's father, so this confirms it's the right people).
My question is this- why would Rosa be traveling with the last name Merlo? Does the Ellis Island "family name" mean maiden name for women?
I'm stumped.. any help qould be appreciated....
thanks
Tammy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

In Italy the woman conserve last name from marriageable and adds that one of the husband. The last name from marriageable is the main one and is that one to which reference in all documents .
Example, is right to write:
-Rosa Merlo,
is right to write:
-Rosa Merlo in D'Arrigo( in= married)
is mistaken to write :
-Rose D' Arrigo

:wink: suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Just in case you get confused with such a thorough explanation. Italian women never lose their maiden name only their chiuldren take on the fathers name and they stay with their maiden name always!! Peter