Trying to find Leo/Ciancio relatives of my ggrprnts-san fili

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
twirleygrl

Re: Trying to find Leo/Ciancio relatives of my ggrprnts-san

Post by twirleygrl »

They are probably all my relatives ha ha!

I have been looking for his ship manifest too. Looks like he came over in 1907 but nobody matches exactly...of course the wrong info could have been taken, don't think they had passports back then...lol.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

I can't verify the exact time period but passports were required to emigrate. I have my grandfather's passport which was issued in 1906; it shows his date and place of birth as well as his parents' names, and the town from which he emigrated. The clerks filling out the ship manifests, prepared at the Italian port of embarkation, used the data on the passports when compiling the manifest lists so the information is pretty accurate as long as it was written legibly and transcribed and indexed properly on the Ellis Island site and on Ancestry.

Took another look at Concetta's manifest and Giuseppe's address is shown as 38 River Street, New Rochelle. I'm wondering if there was some family connection between Giuseppe and the Alexander and Mary/Maria Monaco? family with whom he was boarding in 1910 who lived near 38 River Street. They also show up on the 1920 census in the same district as Raffele Leo family, next door at 40 River St.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Twirleygrl,

Haven't forgotten about you. I came across information about the San Fili Fraternity Club in Port Chester, NY, near New Rochelle. It was founded in 1960 by San Fili descendants. In searching for the elusive Giuseppe's ship manifest, I noticed a number of San Fili natives emigrated to Port Chester. It might be worth a letter or phone call to see if anyone there can help. You never know.

San Fili Fraternity Club
54 Clinton Street
Port Chester, NY 10573
914-939-7465
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

a manifest to look at, although there seems to be more
wrong with it than right
1907 Lio manifest
- indicates in US before
- may be stamped declared intention?
- town of birth may be S.Fili (or an abbreviation)
Valarie

22 Mar 1907 SS Konigin Luise Genoa to NY
Giuseppe Lio, 24 (abt 1882-3)
- possible naturalization notation (505=certificate of arrival)
- last residence S Filippo?
- destination New York
- in NY 1903-1905
- passage paid for by sister
- joining sister Maria
- born in S.Fili?
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Valarie,

It's the best suspect thus far. San Filippo, however is a fair distance from San Fili, if that's really the town of birth and not shorthand for San Filippo. I need to check the kms. Also states previously in US. Wish something more than destination New York were indicated or at least a legible street address. I've also begun searching for Maria Leo/Lio on the ship manifests to see if that might provide a clue, and also wondered whether the Maria mentioned might be the wife of Alexander Monaco/Manago on New Rochelle census records, the family Giuseppe boarded with on the 1910 census. Also did some searching for Alexander's ship manifest but haven't located anything promising thus far for either.

Off to a meeting tonight. Catch up with everyone later.
twirleygrl

Post by twirleygrl »

I am looking too, although I am not coming up with anything, perhaps it is my inexperience, and I have even enlisted my sister's help. Thanks for the leads and I will definitely call that number...it can't hurt.
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

twirleygrl: I went to my family history center Tuesday and searched the Montalto records but did not find anything. I checked the book they have that lists all the microfilms they have and did not see Rende there but I know AI saw Rende microfilms there. I was going to check last night but the weather was bad here. I will try to make it tomorrow - I know they have a Rende microfilm (or did in October) but I do not know what is on it. But I will look. Sorry I don't have good news to report. I did find references to Antonio Lio on a San Fili webite. Here's the link:
http://web.tiscali.it/San_Fili/artigian ... yframe.htm
Cathy
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

I am so sorry. I was the first one at the FHC today. I found the microfilm on Rende but it is not the one with the birth records from the 1880's. You need microfilm number 1640537. This contains Rende's birth records from
1876-1900. It also has records from Roggiano Gravina. Anyone out there have access to this microfilm? If not, you'll have to order it from your local Family History Center. I wish I could have helped.
Cathy :cry:
twirleygrl

Post by twirleygrl »

I will keep that microfilm number for when I can get to a local family history center (I just moved here and need to find one). I don't get out much due to the frigid weather and two young ones, but I will try one day soon. I looked at the website you linked in the last post and it was in italian...which I don't know at all. I did put it into a translation program and they mostly were talking about San Fili families growing chestnuts and local commodities. Oh well. Thanks for looking. I truly appreciate everything everyone is doing to help me.
twirleygrl

Post by twirleygrl »

Cathy, Biff, VJ...

In my never ending search for my Leo/Ciancio relatives I wanted to just say I was reading thru the posts from last year and wanted to say we are all pretty much on...VJ had found a Guiseppe/Joseph immigrated to visit a sister Maria, although the town seemed wrong, and I found out that Joe had a sister Maria whom he named all his 5 daughter's after (they all have that middle name)...or it is Mary. Family lore is that it was to honor his sister. He also had another sister, of whom I don't know the name. She went to Argentina.

I haven't had any time to go to the LDS site since it is so far away and I have 2 young children so it'll have to wait. I called all my father's cousins and between them, I discovered that Joe's father's name was indeed Rafaelle just as suspected. Apparently Rafaelle had been to the usa several times so saying that Joe had been back and forth is not a far stretch. He married in Feb of 1906 (I have their 50th wedding announcement that was sent). Am also told that Concetta Ciancio was orphaned around 8...so there must be a birth cert out there with real parents' names onit. A rellie has the cert (in italian) but it was issued in 1950's not long before Concetta died. My rellie says there is no parental info on it, but than again...it wasn't the original.

I have asked repeatedly for the rellie to copy all that she has and mail it to me, but I haven't gotten anything so far. It's only been 2 weeks, so I must be patient. As for the Manaco's who Joe lived with in NY when he came over, it was confirmed that they were family friends, but any relations are unknown. Also I am told that "Cavaliere's were cousins>" but they aren't sure if they are true cousin's or just called cousins. The family is living in North Plainfield, NJ and the head of the household is Henry Cavaliere. Ironically I found a Pasqualina Ciancio who married a Salvatore Cavaliere in San Fili and immigrated to California USA. Next door is a Carmen Cavaliere and wife and family. Although my family has no clue as to the California Cavaliere's...the name Carmen was familar. I am told the NJ Cavaliere had a son named Carmen...can they be linked? I don't know, but being that a Ciancio girl, born 2 years prior to my g-grandmother Concetta Ciancio, married a Cavaliere, and there were Cavaliere "cousins," I think it is possible. I have posted out there on different sites but one can never know if they will get results.

Funny thing,
one of my closest friends said their grandmother's maiden name is Cavaliere from Teaneck NJ. Her father Sam Cavaliere was from Italy (where I don't know), Sam's father Rocco is also in NJ from Italy. So for all I know, a close friend of mine may actually be an italian cousin (or not!)

Thanks, again for all the help you all have made!

Andrea
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Ciancio and Cavaliere are very common names in this area of Cosenza. If you don't have time for the microfilms, why not write the comune (Rende, correct?) and start asking for copies of the birth acts? You will need to know a year (a date would be better) and they can send you the birth acts so you can see who the parents were and perhaps begin to connect the families. At the very least you will get more information on your family line. For your Argentinian connection, you can check out the surname database on Appelidos Italianos here: http://www.apellidositalianos.com.ar/
twirleygrl

Post by twirleygrl »

I tried the site you recommended and was lost! I can't read or even speak spanish or Italian...some words i knew but not enough...he he.

I will try the LDS way first, perhaps in the summer I can get away. My parents live about 10 minutes from a LDS place so perhaps I can go there when, I visit, and order the films. Then when they get them in...I am sure it will take a few weeks, I can go back to view them. Of course it'll take alot of planning but it would also take a ton of planning here too! At least back in NJ I'd have instant baby sitting!

If I do decide to write Rende, are there any form letters in Italian out there? I am sure if I wrote the request in english they'd just toss it out. And would I send money with the request? In your experience (I see you listed as a Veteran), have you tried this method?

Any info is helpful, because one day I may jsut have to write them. I think my family member has an Italian birth cert for her, but it's not the original, it was issued in the 1950's not long before she died. Her surname is Ciancio on the cert and I am told that is her "adopted" name...so the more recent cert may be inaccurately based on more recent info than the original info. I WISH THIS RELATIVE WOULD JUST SEND THE COPIES TO ME ALREADY!

Thanks for everything,
Andrea
twirleygrl

Post by twirleygrl »

I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me last year. I ordered San Fili and Rende films from FHS and found the birth and marriage for Concetta Ciancio and Guiseppe Lio and also Concetta's mother (and her grand mother's death cert.) So I have gotten back a few generations and also took photos of other Ciancio, Lio and even De Buono, Chiappetta and Cavaliere certs in the hopes I'd find something unexpected...once again, thanks to everyone who helped me...

PS does anyone know where Delta Luogo is? I noticed from the San Fili forms that many a person had been born there...
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Hey Twirley girl! I have been corresponding with the Province of Cosenza Archives because I was interested in purchasing the catasto for Montalto Uffugo. They have begun putting the stato records for all the comuni of Cosenza Province online including lista di levas!! :D Although they are in the very early stages, and barely just begun, you need to check it out. Once they are done it will be an amazing resource! You will be asked to register but it is free. Go here.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Twirleygrl,

Thanks for updating us on your research. The province of Cosenza is beginning to put birth, marriage, and other Stato Civile records online. The link to the site is below. Lots of Ciancio and Lio records from San Fili are there. You'll need to register but it's free.

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces

Biff