Naturalization Brick Wall!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Ricky1016

Naturalization Brick Wall!

Post by Ricky1016 »

Hi,

I've hit a brick wall in getting my gg-grandparents' naturalization papers...the censuses say they were naturalized bet. 1920-1930, and I send a request to Philadelphia for their papers and they sent it back saying they had no record for my gg-grandfather, Pasquale Rubino......I'm completely stuck now...if I don't know what town they came from, then I can't write to Italy for their records....does anyone know of another source that may have their town of origin on it??

thanks!

Ricky
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Naturalization Brick Wall!

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
these are all the Pasquale Rubino who passed thru Ellis Island

http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... &dwpdone=1

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:
Ricky1016

Post by Ricky1016 »

thanks! That does help!!
JIMMYSAL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JIMMYSAL »

Hello Ricky1016
They told me that they could'nt find my GGrandfathers papers, so I went to NARA and did my own research. I found his naturalization papers, after very little research. So don't get discouraged. Was he naturalized in Philadelphia, because I am going to the NARA archives some time this week. I could look him up for you.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Ricky....Once you identify which manifest belongs to your gg-grandfather, you may find some numbers written on it which could be naturalization dates, so make sure you check the manifest carefully.

This might help...

http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/name/

http://stevemorse.org/natural/naturalization.html
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Ricky,

If the naturalization occured after 1906 you haven't hit a brick wall, you just haven't asked in all the places.

The INS has a copy of all naturalizations that occured after 1906. Now INS is called ICE (Immigration and Custom Enforcement).

Information about the act:

http://www.ice.gov/about/legal.htm#foia

The form:

http://www.ice.gov/doclib/g-639.pdf

NARA is an archive, or a storage place for records. They only have the records that they have been made custodians of. Often they will have the record you want. If the naturalization occured when you say, the government will have it.

Debbie
Ricky1016

Post by Ricky1016 »

Thanks everybody!
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Ricky, how long did it take for immigration to respond to your request? I have a pending request as well.

Also, my grandmother's manifest had her naturalization date and petition number scribbled on it.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Ricky1016

Post by Ricky1016 »

it took about a month...
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Ricky and everyone,

I have to throw my two cents in here.

If a name is mis-spelled, it's a good chance that it was overlooked. This holds true for any document such as birth, marriage, and death records. The "staff" doesn't take the time to double check mis-spellings. I find this especially true in the Philadelphia City Archives. However, the staff at NARA are dolls and very helpful!!!

Saying all that, don't forget that NARA holds the "Federal Naturalization Records". There is a good chance that the records are held in the City/State. Those Naturalization Records would be at the Philadelphia City Archives at 31st & Market Streets, Philadelphia, PA.

And Ricky, I'm at the NARA Office in Philly every other week. I'll be there next week. I'll take your information with me!

This is a rule of thumb for everyone.

If you do not find your ancestors' Naturalization Records at NARA (meaning NARA holds the Federal Naturalization Records), then always try the County Offices for the Naturalization Records which are from the City/State. Always call the County first to find out where to write, and how much to send.

Hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Ricky,

Forgot to ask some questions:

What is the year of birth for Pasquale?
What is his wife's name?
What are some of the names of the children born between 1920-1930?

Thanks
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
Ricky1016

Post by Ricky1016 »

Trish,

Pasquale Rubino was born April 16, 1865. He went by "Frank" in the censuses but his real name IS Pasquale. His wife's name is Gaetana Tramuto (sp?), but she also went by "Mary." Their children were: Jennie, Julia, Helen, Elizabeth, Elvera, and Stella. I think they had more, but they died young. But thank-you so much! I really appreciate the help!! :D

Ricky
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Bru-I know what you mean about the municipal archives. I paid $30 for a search for a marriage certificate for Teresa Ventura. They said no records were found. I come to find out the name was Teresina Ventura. You think they could have made the leap in logic, especially because I supplied the proper name of the groom!
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Poipuo4 wrote:Bru-I know what you mean about the municipal archives. I paid $30 for a search for a marriage certificate for Teresa Ventura. They said no records were found. I come to find out the name was Teresina Ventura. You think they could have made the leap in logic, especially because I supplied the proper name of the groom!
Hi Poipuo4,

Did you ever get the marriage record from Philadelphia?

Let me know and I can get it for you.

---------------

This information is for everyone when it comes to Philadelphia Marriage Records.

Use the Census records to narrow down the marriage years, unless you already know the exact marriage date.

Now if your ancestor married between 1885-1915, I would use the Marriage Indexes to find the date of marriage and the license number. Once you have this, you can actually order the microfilm for the marriage instead of sending the away to the Philadelphia City Archives. (The Philadelphia City Archives will NOT check mis-spelled surnames!)

I have all the films for the Marriage Indexes from 1885-1915, and can do look ups for those years. Then you can order the microfilm for the actual record.

Now if you go through City Hall for a Marriage Record from 1916-present, it costs $20 for the record and $15 to mail it. That's a total of $35.00. And once again, if the spelling is off or you don't have the years narrowed down, it could be tough to get the record.

Also, always remember, that you want the Marriage Application for it's full of information.

A Marriage Certificate only lists the bride's name, groom's name, and date of marriage.

Smile for me!:D
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum