Name of Ship and Manifest

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
almona47

Name of Ship and Manifest

Post by almona47 »

I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone could help me find the name of the ship and tell me how I might be able to get a copy of the manifest page showing my father's name and actual date of arrival?
My father Alberto Monaco or Umberto, came to the US along with his brother Giuseppe Monaco and a nephew, Aniello Monaco in the summer of 1921. I understand the ship entered the US in Broklyn NY. At that time, I believe he was either 16 or 17 years old, and his brother was about 19.
Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Re: Name of Ship and Manifest

Post by Poipuo4 »

If you post this on the other board on this site for Italian geneaology, I think you will get more replies. In the meantime, go to www.ellisisland.org You can search this site for free. They allow you to order a copy of the manifest on nice paper. The site does not allow you to print from your browser. If you subscribe to ancestry.com, you can do a search that way as well and print from your browser.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Monaco is a popular name....could you provide additional details so that members can find the correct person.
Where did he reside?
Year of birth? Spouse and childrens name, parents? Does he show up on the Social Security Death Index?
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
almona47

Post by almona47 »

Thank you for getting back to me.
Umberto Monaco (Alberto) was born April 2, 1904 in Afragola Italy. As I said he traveled here with his brother Giuseppe, who was two years older, and nephew Aniello who was younger than both. Giuseppe and Umberto's parents were Aniello (father) and Tomassina (mother). Aniello's father was Enrico Monaco and mother was Luisella. All were from the same town, Afragola, and they then settled in New York.

Again as far as I know it has been said that they arrived in Brooklyn NY in the summer of 1921

Wldspirit, what is the Social Security Death Index? Sorry, I'm new to this.

Thanx again.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

No problem....we were all new to this at one time.... :D

Here is a link to information in the SSDI:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~rwguide/lesson10.htm

Thru this site:
http://ssdi.rootsweb.com/

or this one:
http://www.familysearch.org/

and depending on the factors as stated in the first link, you can locate a persons death date and sometimes exact birthdate as well as other info.
You can also send for a copy of the original application and obtain further background info on an individual if the application was filled out properly.
Hope this helps......
Lee

juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

almona47 wrote:Thank you for getting back to me.
Umberto Monaco (Alberto) was born April 2, 1904 in Afragola Italy. As I said he traveled here with his brother Giuseppe, who was two years older, and nephew Aniello who was younger than both. Giuseppe and Umberto's parents were Aniello (father) and Tomassina (mother). Aniello's father was Enrico Monaco and mother was Luisella. All were from the same town, Afragola, and they then settled in New York.

Again as far as I know it has been said that they arrived in Brooklyn NY in the summer of 1921

Wldspirit, what is the Social Security Death Index? Sorry, I'm new to this.

Thanx again.
============================================
4 september 1921
ship; providence

luisa mosca; 28
carmela; 6
giuseppe; 5
filomena; 3
carmine; 1

joining husband/father enrico in the bronx
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

It appears that this was not Luis's first trip. Here is another manifest...

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Luisa Mosca
Name: Luisa Mosca
Estimated birth year: abt 1893
21 Apr 1914
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Cleveland
Search Ship Database: View the Cleveland in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Nativity: Italy
Line: 1
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_2300
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: apagola
Page Number: 91

Source Citation: Year: 1914; Microfilm serial: T715; Microfilm roll: T715_2300; Line: 1; .

Luisa Mosca 1914 Manifest Page 1

Page 2

*Edit:Links aren't working. Says the page contains errors and I keep getting a message saying application failed to initialize.

Enrico's sister was also listed on the manifest but her name was crossed off for whatever reason.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Another record..same date as the 1914 Manifest...Its the Detained Passenger List.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Luisa Mosca
Name: Luisa Mosca
Port of Departure: Ellis Island
Ship Name: Cleveland
Search Ship Database: View the Cleveland in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 16
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_2300
Page Number: 165

Source Citation: Year: 1914; Microfilm serial: T715; Microfilm roll: T715_2300; Line: 16; .

Unfortunately I can't ink it since no matter what upload program I try says the page contains errors and won't allow me to link it. I'm going to check the other links and see if they're ok. I would check for this record on www.stevemorse.org though if you wish to view it.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Lets see if it works now..

Detained Passenger List 1914

Ok, its corrected itself. I had to restart the computer. Will re link the other one in the morning.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
almona47

Post by almona47 »

Whew--- You guys are amazing, it's a whole lot of information.. BUT- Nothing on my father, Umberto Monaco.
Now Enrico the one who lived in the Bronx, he was my fathers oldest brother. Luisa, she was Enrico's wife, and she came here with a few of the kids, but not Aniello, he came over with my father Umberto (albert) Giuseppe (joe) and they came before Luisa and the rest of the kids, apperantly that same summer, 1921, and that's the one, ship's manifest etc. that I can't seem to find!
Again my father would have been 16-17, Uncle Joe, 18-19, and Aniello, younger..
I'll take a look at the other sites you recommended and hopefully I'll get something.
almona47

Post by almona47 »

One more thing I just remembered.. The story was they came to Brooklyn, not Ellis Island, could it be that they were on a cargo ship and not a passenger ship? If so, would there be the same kind of records kept and archived as we have here?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

While MONACO is native to Afragola, the name LOMONACO is also present,
so perhaps searching for that version may prove useful, just a thought.
wldspirit :)

almona47

Post by almona47 »

Nuccia, Thank you for your help.. I was wondering if the other person that was listed with Lucia in 1914, could be her son Aniello? It seems that someone in the family remembers a story that Enrico and Luisa came to the US with their son Aniello, and that he was turned back because he had pink eye.. That's the reason that he later returned in August of '21 with my father, Alberto and Uncle Giuseppe.
Can you locate a date when Enrico first came in?
Thanks.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I was wondering if the other person that was listed with Lucia in 1914, could be her son Aniello?
No, the person traveling with Luisa is Enrico's sister, Anna whose name was crossed off so she may not have made the boat for some reason or came later. I haven't confirmed this though.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
stephanie-b84

Post by stephanie-b84 »

Hello,
From what I know Enrico and Luisella were my mother's grandparent's and from what I'm told they came to America and landed and lived in New York. I don't know anything about Umberto but I know that they left behind two kids a son Aniello (Arnold) and daughter Tomassina( which was my grandmother). Aniello and Tomassina were left with their grandmother in Italy. Enrico was doing well for himself in America and was sending money to Italy for his kids but the grandmother had young kids of her own and was keeping the money. She left Aniello and Tomassina to be on their own and they were like beggars on the street. Word of this got back to Enrico and Luisella and so they sent for Aniello and Tomassina to come to America and from what I'm told someone had to sneak them onto the boat to come over but as for who I am unsure.