Scipione Family of Formia and Gaeta

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
EireItaliaDonna

Scipione Family of Formia and Gaeta

Post by EireItaliaDonna »

I am working on my family history and genealogy and I have one again returned to the Scipione family branch to learn more after connecting with an extended relative living in South America.

My grandfather Carlo/Charles came to the US in the late 1800s and married Ida Lagorio. Carlo had brothers and sisters but I do not know their names or his parents name to aid me in tracking them down.

All I know about Carlo's brothers (or cousins, I am unsure) is that they were in the US for a while before going to Brazil and Argentina to settle. Augustine/Augustino did go and fight against Austria in the WWI before returning to Argentina in 1918. They are said to be the sons of "vicenzo scipione and carmina troisi."

Any insight or information anyone is able to provide will be much appreciated.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Scipione Family of Formia and Gaeta

Post by jcsm400 »

Do you have Charles' town of birth information?

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
EireItaliaDonna

To the best of my knowledge, Charles/Carlo Scipione and his family came from Gaeta, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

The LDS Church (Mormons) have filmed the civil records (1809-1865) from Gaeta.

Civil:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

For records not included in the films, here is the contact information.

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Gaeta City Hall
04024 Gaeta (LT)
ITALY
Phone Number: (+39) ; Fax: (+39)
Email:gaeta @ gaeta.it (no spaces)

Requests should be in Italian & include a self addressed return envelope, a copy of your photo ID, & 1 or 2 international reply coupons. These can be obtained at your main post office.

Here is a form letter that will translate your request into Italian.

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Hope this helps.......If you need further assistance, please let us know.

jcsm
EireItaliaDonna

I have heard of the Latter Day Saints and their wealth of genealogical knowledge but I have no idea where to obtain records other than looking up information on their website www.familysearch.org. I live in Massachusetts and have no idea where or how to access their microfiche records. Please advise. For the most part, I have been doing my research online and have no knowledge of record locations to obtain information. Any help able to be provided is very much appreciated.

Grazie! :D
sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sheronb »

If this link works, it should show all the centres in America!!

http://www.familysearch.org./Eng/Librar ... et_fhc.asp
Tuzi/Lombardozzi/Polsinelli/Tersigni/La Rocca/Gismondi from Sora,Frosinone.
sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sheronb »

Ok, well, it nearly did!! Just put united states in, and it will show all the centres!
Tuzi/Lombardozzi/Polsinelli/Tersigni/La Rocca/Gismondi from Sora,Frosinone.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Thanks, Sheronb, for providing the link to find the nearest FHC.

EireItaliaDonna,

Put in the city & county too. It will list the center(s) nearest to your location.

Here is a guide on obtaining the films.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =2581.html

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

jcsm
JxD215

Post by JxD215 »

Hi, I'm new here, and I noticed the conversation, My surname happens to be Scipione, and my great grandfather, Vincent, came from Gaeta, Italy in the early 1900s. what makes this even more interesting is the fact that my great grandfathers wife, and my great grandmother, Carmilla, is of Brazillian descent.

Ive been trying to connect my family history for a while now, and I think I might actually have a lead now.
EireItaliaDonna

:idea: This is exciting!

My great grandfather was Carlo/Charles Scipione and he came to the US in the late 1800s/early 1900s.

Last week I was in contact with a Guillermo Scipione from Argentina who I believe is also related to Vincent also as he is Vincent's grandson. His grandfather's brother, Augustine, went back to Italy to fight in the WWI against Austria and then moved back to Argentina in 1918. You must be related either directly or indirectly I learned that there were family that came to Boston and then settled in either Argentina and/or Brazil. My guess is that given that the family members all emigrated from the same place, Gaeta, Italy, that they have got to be related directly as brother or cousin, but the specifics are vague to me since I know none of my great grandfather's siblings names. Guillermo's grandfather was the son of Carmina Troisi and Vincenzo Scipione. Guillermo has a great deal of knowledge about the family history if you'd like you may email me and we can share information as we learn it. :D
picmama639

Post by picmama639 »

I have a website with a over 10,000 names of people born or married in Gaeta, Italy. Most of them are from earlier than you have information for but if you can get back a little farther, I think the website could be very useful to you. Please feel free to look at it:

http://gaeta.familytreeguide.com/tree_index.php
sandy629

Post by sandy629 »

hi i am sandra scipione daughter of john scipione son of charles scipione n ida lagorio i was looking up names on ancestry and charles came up and then ida then you. francis was a female. charles was a real estate agent, he owned his company in newton mass , arthur was a lawyer practicing in cambridge, john was a jack of all trades, and the girls were home makers, rita and francis. there home on watertown street (in newton) was torn down and condos were built (9) thats how many children john had. my sister susan has done some investigating and i don't know what she has but i am enclosing her e-mail to you. who's child are you ? how are you related ? i have 5 brothers and 3 sisiters. there are 28 neices and nephews and tons of great neices and nephews, some of the names are podzka, munroe, maclellan,busa, castoldi, fuller, there are only 2 boys to carry the scipione name.there are alot of girls that carry the scipione name in this family. i don't know much about the family , i do remember visiting them ( Charles and Ida ) he sat on a bench in his home (a big home) and she was tiny. i have a neice who resembles her alot so my mom said. i only saw charles at his funeral. my sis susan is really into this so get in touch with her good luck.

sandy scipione pina
sandrapina1026@yahoo.com

susanweber825@
Vinnie-2-fingers

Post by Vinnie-2-fingers »

Hi,
My family is also from Formia and I have the same Scipione surname.

My father came from Castelone in Formia, he is now in his eighties and is looking for relatives of his that left for the USA , we are in Australia and he left Italy in 1956.
The relatives he seeks would have left during or after the First World War .
Do you know of any other Scipione's from Formia living in the USA .
Vinnie
straniello

Post by straniello »

Sandra,
You and I are related. It would be great to learn more about the Scipione family tree from those that have more knowledge. I know that our family branch came from Gaeta, Italy and the Lagorio portion came from Genoa region.
Sarah
Johnkburns

Post by Johnkburns »

Hi. New to this site and your searches.
My mothers side of the family is scipione and Filosa from formia (aka gaeta- castellone before formia reincorporated). My aunt and uncle are still alive and well and approaching 80yrs. The family branch moved to NY post WWII but was born in formia. One moved to CA.
We have official documentation from formia to form a family tree to my g-g-gps on my mother's side. I'm on ancestry.com if you can see that site. I've done my own supplemental record searching via ancestry and may have data back into the 1800s. Erasmo is a common first name for the scipiones in my tree.
I've also completed ancestrydna.
It might be interesting if there is a link here for anyone here to my tree.
Thanks