help with translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

help with translation

Post by Gina501 »

Can someone please help me with this translation? I have done well so far with babelfish, but this won't translate for some reason. Thanks!

penso che dalla velocità di risposta alla mia mail Lei stia davanti al computer. qui sono le 17:50 le 5:50 PM devo dire che la giornata è stata molto scarsa il cielo è plumbeo e aspettiamo la pioggia da un momento all'altro. mi spiace non aver dimestichezza con la vostra lingua. Io lavoro al Abruzzo National Parck, mi occupo di topografia, e progettazioni. Sto terminando la mia giornata di lavoro dopo di che vado a casa. Pescasseroli è un bel paese, molto piccolo appena 2800 abitanti. tu dove abiti? puoi farmi una breve descrizione del posto. Mi viene in mente in questo momento se hai controllare i registi di sbaro a manhattan, sono anche on-line, sicuramente lì sono conservate le registrazioni degli sbarchi e delle provenienze di tutti quelli che sono entrate in america.
ciao gina spero che non ti sarà difficie tradurre.
Gina
Searching for surnames Ignazio, Graziano, Trella, Del Principe, Biani, Subrizi, Della Valle

http://ignaziogenealogy.com
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Re: help with translation

Post by Poipuo4 »

Hi, Gina, I am just fooling around with this. I am taking beginner's italian classes and wanted to see how much I can understand. Of course, the people on this board who are native Italian speakers, will truly be able to translate this. Anyhow, here is what I have so far. I hope you don't mind that it is not exact:

penso che dalla velocità di risposta alla mia mail Lei stia davanti al computer. qui sono le 17:50 le 5:50 PM devo dire che la giornata è stata molto scarsa il cielo è plumbeo e aspettiamo la pioggia da un momento all'altro. mi spiace non aver dimestichezza con la vostra lingua.

I think that the speed of the response to my e-mail is because of the computer. Here it is 17:50 (5:50 PM) I ought to say that the day has been very ___, the sky is dark and we are waiting for one minute to the other for rain. I think this says that I am sorry I can not speak to you in your language.

Io lavoro al Abruzzo National Parck, mi occupo di topografia, e progettazioni. Sto terminando la mia giornata di lavoro dopo di che vado a casa.

I work at the Abruzzo National park. My occupation is topography and ?. I finished my work day and am going home.

Pescasseroli è un bel paese, molto piccolo appena 2800 abitanti. tu dove abiti? puoi farmi una breve descrizione del posto.

Pescasseroli is a beautiful town, very small, about 2800 inhabitants. Where do you live? Can you make a brief decription in your letter?
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

Wow, poipuo. That's a great start. Babelfish didn't get me that far. It's been pretty good so far, but I couldn't even get partial sentences out of it from this email.
Gina
Searching for surnames Ignazio, Graziano, Trella, Del Principe, Biani, Subrizi, Della Valle

Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

The second to last paragraph is too complicated for me, so I will go straight to the sign off, which is the easy part.

ciao gina spero che non ti sarà difficie tradurre.
Bye Gina, I hope that you will not have difficulty translating.

(To my native Italian brothers and sisters, I hope I have not butchered the translation too much. As I said, I defer to you for a legitimate translation. I have only been studying Italian for a few months!)
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

well thanks for the help....I'm sure someone else will fill in the gaps. I don't know what that other paragraph says either!
Gina

Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

I believe scarsa means short. The day has been very short. And that progettazioni is planning or design.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Mi viene in mente in questo momento se hai controllare i registi di sbaro a manhattan, sono anche on-line, sicuramente lì sono conservate le registrazioni degli sbarchi e delle provenienze di tutti quelli che sono entrate in america.

Roughly translated. "It comes to mind at this moment (It just occurred to me) if you have checked the registry of ships to Manhattan. They are also online; surely there were records of vessels and of the provinces of all those who entered in America."

Gina,
It's great that you've found someone in Italy so willing to help.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

Thanks Biff. This is a really funny story. There are so very few Del Principes in Pescasseroli that I wrote to all of them (13) in the Italian white pages. Three of the letters were to Giovanni and his two brothers, Mariano and Ezecchia. I took a chance. It has been said that if I go back far enough (4 or 5 generations), I am related to all of them there. Giovanni wrote back and said that he and his brothers were searching for records to re-create the history backwards until we are related and also forwards to see what has happened with each of the families. As it turns out, their mother's maiden name is Trella, which is also my great-grandmother's maiden name. So we are related from both the lines. Even funnier is that my cousin Edward went to Pescasseroli in '97 and met the brothers. He was looking for Trellas and at the time didn't know he was related to this family because we didn't know the surname of our great-great grandmother (Del Principe) yet. He took a picture of one of the brothers and the mother because they were so helpful. Turns out they are family. It is a very small world.
Gina