Chicago LaMantia family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Johnnylaw

Chicago LaMantia family

Post by Johnnylaw »

I am new to the site.
My family name is LaMantia. Not sure of the origins other than I believe the family name originates in Sicily, La Termine possibly?

My father was an only child and my grandfather's family has all deceased.
SO I am really trying to learn more about my family name in both Italy and Chicago.

Grandfather: Sam LaMantia born 1915, I believe.
Some of his siblings: Brother John LaMantia
Sister Edith LaMantia
Sister Agnes LaMantia

All Chicago, Bridgeport area originally, then Taylor Street. Not sure when they came to America or anything.

If someone can give me a clue as to where to start or how to do this.
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Chicago LaMantia family

Post by Biff83 »

Check if this is the right Sam LaMantia and family. If it is incorrect, I will delete.

Chicago, Cook, IL
6630 South Hoyne St
Lena LaMantia, age 49, widowed, birth Italy, immigration year 1897, alien
Leana L, daughter, age 19
Agnes, daughter, age 17
Sam, son, age 14, yob about 1916
John, son, age 10
All children born in Illinois

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/7904 ... tiamf9.jpg
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Johnnylaw

Post by Johnnylaw »

This looks to be right. I am not sure if they lived on Hoyne, but this is closer than I have ever gotten! I would be happy to follow this trail from you.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

I'm somewhat bothered by the absence of an Edith and the presence of a Leana. Here are two WW I Draft cards for LaMantias with wife's name Lena. Let me know if either might be correct based on the address. My knowledge of Chicago neighborhoods is nil.

Santo LaMantia
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/7717 ... wwiue1.jpg

Anthony LaMantia
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/1544 ... wwiyd2.jpg

Do you know if members of the LaMantia family were in the produce and fruit business?
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

1917 WW1 Draft Registration Card

John Joseph Lamanta, 23
(did not sign)
23 Third St
La Salle, La Salle, IL
born 1874 in Italy
alien - non declarant
peddler, same address
wife Lena, same address
Same family in 1920?
Still appear to be correct?
95 mi SW of Chicago...

vj

possible 1920 census
Home in 1920:
23 Third St, rents
LA Salle Ward 1, LA Salle, Illinois

John Laminter 46 (abt 1874)
- immig 1886 Al
- peddler, fruit
Lena 40 (abt 1880)
- immig 1886 Al

Children all born in IL
Mike 17 (abt 1903)
Freda 14 (abt 1906)
Teresa 11 (abt 1909)
Lena 9 (abt 1911)
Agnes 6 (abt 1914)
Sam 5 (abt 1915)
John 5/12 (abt 1919)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The Illinois State Archives has wonderful resources available and I have always found that they respond to email request for records research,
However, they are currently having technical problems, and they have no idea when the site will be up and running properly. In the meantime, perhaps the right census will turn up naturalization info, and you can then contact the site for records.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/depar ... hives.html

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
isabelweber

Post by isabelweber »

I used to live in Chicago across the street from a LaMantia family - I believe they had 2 daughters and one son. The address may have been 9225 S. Bell Ave, Chicago IL 60620. I doubt they still live there. The dad was in the produce business (fruits & vegetables)in downtown Chicago -
Johnnylaw

Post by Johnnylaw »

Wow, this is so wonderful. My family was in the fruits and produce business but they were not the owners. My grandfather Sam LaMantia worked for the business but it must have been a cousin or uncle that actually owned LaMantia & Arrigo Fruits and Vegetables.

The 1920 census info looks right in terms of the family, they must have moved from LaSalle IL to Bridgeport (Chicago).

I am curious where in Italy they came from too.

The main problem is that all of them deceased young, they all had passed when I was a little boy in the 1970's.

All of your generosity in helping me is much appreciated.

John LaMantia
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

I am curious where in Italy they came from too.

John, writing away to IL for some vital records may help
(Birth, Marriage, Death) (see wldspirits link earlier)
Not sure if town in Italy will be on them.
Pre-1906 naturalizations may have town of origin.
Before 1906 the forms weren't standardized.
Valarie

Appears to be the same family in 1910.
Different immigration info, note the commonality
of '1900' on the other families?

possible 1910 census

Home in 1910:
305 Third St, rents
LA Salle Ward 1, LA Salle, Illinois

head John Lamantia 33 (abt 1877)
- married 11 years (abt 1899)
- immig 1900 Na
- carpenter, house
wife Antonia? Lamantia 27 (abt 1883)
- 3 children born, 3 children living
- immig 1900
son Mike Lamantia 8 (abt 1902) IL
daughter Frida Lamantia 4 (abt 1906) IL
daughter Theresa Lamantia 2 (abt 1908) IL
Johnnylaw

Post by Johnnylaw »

I just confirmed through that VJ and Biff have identified my family.
I am so grateful.

I just need to go back and figure where they are from in Italy now!!
I will do some FOIAs to track down some records.

Thanks again.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi John!
So glad we were all able to help :D
Valarie

Interesting manifest, lots of La Mantia
Most going to Chicago, a Giovanni going
to Cleveland?
May be worth saving, if only to match to
possible other La Mantia records?

Line 35
8 Feb 1886 SS Indipendente Palermo to NY
Giovanni La Mantia, 14? (abt 1872?)
- son?
- destination Cleveland
enhanced 1886 manifest
original 1886 manifest
Seriously77

Post by Seriously77 »

I saw someone asking about Lamantia's in the produce industry. My great-grandfather, Fred Lamantia, was a fruit and vegetable dealer in Chicago. I have just started my search for family and do not have much other information. The farthest I have found is to my great-grandfather and great-uncle. They were from Termini Imerse.

I would love to help anyone that I can with information that I have or will find in the future and would love to hear from any who may have information that may help me in my search as well!

Thanks!

Michelle
jwalker500

Post by jwalker500 »

Hi JohnnyLaw,

I'm new to the site, too, but I can give you a little information.

Joseph Vincent (JV) LaMantia was my grandfather. He emigrated from Termini in Sicily around 1900 when he was approximately 6 years old. His Father's name was Vincent and his mother's name was Marie Battaglia. He had a two bothers, Philip and Anthony, and one sister, Phyllis. He always lived on the South Side of Chicago--first in South Shore and then in Beverly. He had 6 children--but only one son: Joseph Vincent, Jr. He died in 1970.

JV started LaMantia Bros Arrigo Company, a produce brokerage house on South Water Market, with his older brother Phil and a friend named August Arrigo. Later, he bought out both partners and became the sole owner, but kept the name as it was. LaMantia Bros. Arrigo (LBA) grew to become the largest produce commission company in the United States. (They bought directly from the growers and sold to large grocery chains.)

Isabel Weber mentioned that she used to live across the street from some LaMantias. That was not Joseph's brother, but another Philip LaMantia, who went by the name of "PJ. "(He did live at 9231 Bell; the older brother Phil lived at 9646 Bell)) PJ was Joseph's nephew, and he was also worked at LBA as a Vice President.

There were two other LaMantias who worked at LBA, but were not directly related to JV's family (everyone thought there was a distanct relationship, but not recent): Sam LaMantia worked there. He was married to a woman named Anne and had 2 children: Dorothy Anne and Jack; and Charlie LaMantia, who was married to a woman named Margaret and had 5 children: Charles, James, William, Mary Margaret, and Susan. All of these people lived on the far South Side--further south than Bridgeport.

I know our LaMantia family had more distant relatives in the Johnstown, PA area, who were also in the produce business, but I don't know anything about them.

My mother is Anne LaMantia Arado, the second oldest of JV's children, and she married my Dad, Gus Arado, who was working at LBA when they met. My Dad worked there his entire life.

Hope this is helpful!

Judy Arado Walker

P.S. While in Park City, Utah some time ago, I visited a Mormon Genealogy Center and they got me a lot of census data. Very helpful and at no charge. The old census information (I was looking at the 1930s) had a lot of interesting information in it about the people. In those days, all the data was taken personally and entered by hand--much more than just name and address. If you have any of the old addresses, it would be a great resource.
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adamf »

Johnnylaw,

I've got a resource suggestion for you through the LaSalle connection. The Catholic Diocese of Peoria holds records for the Catholic churches in the LaSalle area. Once you get some birth, marriage, or death dates from people who lived in LaSalle, make a "sacremental records" request. Its free, but the diocese welcomes donations. Sister Lea Stefancova has been wonderfully helpful to me and many of the records for immigrants list the towns where they came from in the old country.

http://www.cdop.org/pages/AArchivesOffice.aspx
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

In doing research on the Virzi family I found an Antonette LaMantia married to Antonio Virzi 1900 in Chicago. They had 6 children, 1 boy and 6 girls. The boy is named Joseph. Antonino Virzi arrived Jul 1893. Antonette arrived shortly there after.

Other than the names of the children from the census I do not have any other information.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa