Timelines and Internet Research Techniques

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Biff83
Master
Master

Timelines and Internet Research Techniques

Post by Biff83 »

Ciao ya' all,

Tomorrow I will be attending a seminar on Timelines and Internet Research Techniques sponsored by the Lee County (FL) Genealogical Society. I'll post a summary by the end of the weekend.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Timelines and Internet Research Techniques

Post by nuccia »

John that would be great! Ask if they would allow you to share some of their handouts online if you promise to mention them.

I know one of the members here went to one recently and she learned so much. Another took a class not too long ago and its amazing what one can learn. She shared some of her notes with me and it was awesome.

I look forward to reading your summary...and feel free to email me private notes too if you like... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (I'm a paper freak and have reference binders for almost everything these days!)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Maybe we could make this an ongoing column??
I myself would like to see us provide more in the way of instruction,
teaching our posters how to research, what is available and where.
Giving them the oppurtunity to do their own exploration and research.

Sometimes records are needed to help one over a brick wall...but we have gotten to the point that we provide every available record to be had leaving them nothing to search for, not even providing them with any instruction as to what do I do with this information.

How do I obtain records in Italy, what is available and how does the history and culture of Italy affect what is available?

Why do I need to do all my US research first?

In trying to engage one poster in dialogue, right away records were thrown at them left and right.....thereby diminishing an oppurtunity to learn.....we need to strike a balance.
But that's just my opinion......

Nuccia......your earlier reply on Lds microfilm was excellent!!!!!
By providing examples of actual images and the dialogue between posters, provided a great learning oppurtunity!!

Enjoy your genealogy conference Biff!!! :D
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Lee,

Thanks Lee. I think you may be on to something. On ongoing column...we're allowed to take a poll in this section so why don't you set one up so everyone has a chance to vote on it and offer their suggestions on what they'd like to see? We could run it for a while and see if Edmondo can set something up! I love the idea but would love to see what others have to say.

What do you all think???

By the way Biff...great picture! Thats something I'm also glad about. More and more members are posting their pictures. Gives it a more personal feeling here. :D

If anyone would like to post their picture and is having trouble, please feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to help. :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Oh yeah......I was supposed to send my pic.... :oops:
I forgot.......my early alzheimer kicked in again!!!
Lee

I don't know about the poll.....didn't someone get in trouble for that last year????? :?

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

No, I believe Edmondo said it was ok on the OFF Topic Board only. Email Bob...it was one of his posts.

Otherwise, just start a topic with Opinions on....or What would you Like to see. Something like that. I don't need to tell you..you know better then I do what to write! :D

Send the picture when you can..and send one of your son in that tux, too! :wink: :lol: :lol: You do know he's my idol now, right??? :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Didn't get to take a pic.....that's why he was supposed to come straight home......take some pictures and get the tux right back.....betcha that is the last time they let him model for their company.....I could make him put it on as is and then take the pictures.......would serve him right......what?? he thinks he's a Balboa???
Lee

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Couldn't resist..

Click Here
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Lee and Nuccia,

I agree and must admit I'm one of the first to go into search mode when someone posts a request for information. We would serve many of the folks better if we gave them the seeds with some planting and cultivation information rather than giving them the fruit. I'm sure all of us remember the sheer joy when we located information on our families.

We need to work on setting up a central repository of free genealogical links with details on what they contain and how to search them as well as an annotated bibliography of books. There's an amazing number of links that have been posted in the short time that I've been a member with plenty more from before, but they're re not organized in a central area. I noticed that in the Links section to the left, members can add new links but I believe that the categories need to be expanded and/or broken into subcategories so new and old members can locate them by subject.

Best,
Biff
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I knew you would like the idea, John! A central location would be perfect and you're right, we need it. I hate having to bookmark every link...and Trish's post on microfilm should be somewhere where it can be accessed easier since we refer to it so often.

Edmondo will listen if we all ask..that is how we got the Off Topic Board. Now, lets see what others have to say...

Meanwhile, relax and click on the link above for a glimpse at Lee's son's future...

Oh yeah, I have another Rosina skit...Mom washed Dad's van with Armoral..including the dash and windows. Needless to say, its been in the shop the last few days.. :lol: :lol: Could have been worse...she could have used bleach I guess. :roll: The mechanic told Dad to keep my mother away from the car from now on... 8O
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

That is a wonderful idea Biff!!!!! :D

And you are not the only one......I've done it to!!!!! We just need to strike a
balance...it's great that we have the means to provide posters with records to get over those "brick walls".......
Lee

Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

nuccia wrote: Oh yeah, I have another Rosina skit...Mom washed Dad's van with Armoral..including the dash and windows. Needless to say, its been in the shop the last few days.. :lol: :lol: Could have been worse...she could have used bleach I guess. :roll: The mechanic told Dad to keep my mother away from the car from now on... 8O
Tell your Mom to kept Dad away from the bleach and the laundry or you might have another one for Rosina and Pasquale.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Maybe Trish could re-write it or edit out all the comments.......that way it's a clean guide....
and the links.....I've got links buried in links.......time for a major re-organization.....I can't find half of what I want...... :?

and aren't you funny....... :P But not fair....Rocky wasn't wearing an expensive tux with even more expensive Italian shoes......and his momma isn't gonna have to pay for it all.......ahhhhh.....boys!!

Maybe your Dad could tell her that the knee....it needs more rest!!! :lol:

Lee

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Tell your Mom to kept Dad away from the bleach and the laundry or you might have another one for Rosina and Pasquale.
Don't even get me started tonight...I have the giggles as it is thanks to Lee. Think you could write the skit and we can mail it together..you could be Mom and Dad's manager with a cut for yourself of course... :lol:

Sorry Lee..it was the best I could do on such short notice! Its still funny..

Maybe this will make you feel better...

Click Here
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Think you could write the skit and we can mail it together

Rosina: Oh Pasqua, miu ginocchiu ha fattu mala. Le lavi i abiti per ma?

Pasqua: Dove?

Rosina: In la washing macchina. (Under her breath to herself "Cosi ciucciu"

Pasqua: Quantu bleacha e' Tide?

Rosina: Nessuna bleacha per i scuri abiti.

To be continued.