not sure if i am still eligible

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JDiIorio

not sure if i am still eligible

Post by JDiIorio »

i am applying for italian citizenship through by great grandfather Luigi Di Iorio born 12/3/1893 in macchia valfortore italy. u.s. surname spelling is Diorio. anyway will it be a problem if i dont have a marriage record for him and my great grandmother. i am having trouble locating it. that is the only document i am missing? is there even a law that says that a child born to italian citizens outside of wedlock is not an italian citizen? whats my status?
mler
Master
Master

Re: not sure if i am still eligible

Post by mler »

It should not make a difference. Many children were born out of wedlock in Italy in the past (and in the present), and this has no bearing on citizenship. However, you will have to document the line of descent, and the marriage certificate simplifies this. Check with your consulate to determine what additional documentation (if any) you will need.