HOW DO YOU FIND RECORD OF SOMEONE RETURNING TO HOME COUNTRY

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
czeffer
Rookie
Rookie

HOW DO YOU FIND RECORD OF SOMEONE RETURNING TO HOME COUNTRY

Post by czeffer »

I have posted this to another thread but thought maybe I would get a better response posting it seperately from the other thread.

I need to find out how to track someone back across the ocean. One of my husband's great grandparents children returned to Italy to live with her grandparents.

Annetta Morell (or some variation of the name)

Where would I find info on the return trip to Italy for Annetta? She would have been returning to Licata. She would have been born probably sometime between 1910 and 1914. Most likely around 1913.
Grazie mille - Cheryl
misbris
Master
Master

Re: HOW DO YOU FIND RECORD OF SOMEONE RETURNING TO HOME COUN

Post by misbris »

I asked the same question and haven't received an answer either. Perhaps there are not records to help us. Does anyone know for sure?
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

I will give this a try.

You have to first consider why countries such as America kept records for passenger arrivals. These arrivals were kept as the result of different immigration laws passed by congress over the years. Simply, the USA government wanted a record of how many persons were arriving. These numbers were important for quotas and fees.

The USA government didn't pass any laws that required keeping track of who left.

The question becomes what country are you looking for departures from? If it is the USA, I am not aware of lists that exit. You may have limited luck with passports, but this will depend on citizenship status and year of departures.

I am not aware of Italy keeping passenger lists of arrivals or departures. I have read that individual towns would keep track of their citizens and may have a record of when they leave and return. Perhaps Suanj or someone could comment about this.

Some countries do have outbound lists. The Hamburg lists come to mind. Also England has some outbound lists.

I hope this helps.

Debbie
czeffer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by czeffer »

Thank you - maybe someone else will chime in on the subject.
Grazie mille - Cheryl
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

I am curious, too. My grandmother travled back two times to Sicily always bringing back relatives or friends. Her passport is not available.
Marlene
Trabia, Sicily: Rinella, Campagna, Rubino, DiMatteo, Vallelunga, Gattuccio, Canciamilla, Arena, Alario, Barone, Sunseri, Trapani, Turturice Bell, Lima, Romano, Spitaleri, Cancilla,Tardio, Novello Tomasello, Sunseri Pirotto, and D'Anna.
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

I would like to find out the same info for my family. My family went back a few times, before staying here for good. I hope we can all learn more about this.

Mike
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

There are no historical passenger lists of departures from USA. There was no legislation passed to keep such records.

I can not comment on other countries.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Records from England:

http://www.ancestorsonboard.com/

These will also include passengers from other countries when the steamship stopped in England. They then became an outbound passenger.

Does anyone on this site have a subscription to this site? You can search the index, but must pay to see the actual passenger record or for a transcription of the record.

Debbie
Gianino

Post by Gianino »

I am looking for information on the Gianino surname from Augusta, Sicily area. Sharon
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Gianino,

Its gets confusing when thread topics change. Suggest you start a new thread for the most help.

Are you looking for records from Italy? Immigration records? Have you done USA research yet. To enable others to help you, be more specific in what you are looking for and include details on who you need information on.

Debbie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

czeffer wrote:I have posted this to another thread but thought maybe I would get a better response posting it seperately from the other thread.

I need to find out how to track someono back across the ocean. One of my husband's great grandparents children returned to Italy to live with her grandparents.

Annetta Morell (or some variation of the name)

Where would I find info on the return trip to Italy for Annetta? She would have been returning to Licata. She would have been born probably sometime between 1910 and 1914. Most likely around 1913.
Hi, most probable the surname spell could be MARRALI in Licata; if magdalena came in USA in 1914(sept), Annetta was already born, or born in USA? you say that Maddalena was pregnant....
a Vincenzo Marrali( mistaken in Marali) from Licata came in 1902, no many info available from ship's manifest, only joining to Francesco brother
Vincenzo Marali Licata 1902 18

In any case you know Annetta's mother name, and that Annetta back in Italy and lived in grandfather house, so your search must to start by sure data that you have(Maddalena name and birthdate); in the Licata microfilms by mormons, you can to find the birthact of Maddalena; the first marriage is in the birthact's notation; or request it directly in Licata Common; when you have sure name of first husband, and marriage date, you can make another request in Licata, asking the "Stato Civile" (civil records) abt Annetta, because only after this essential first step you can to have the right data for Annetta( name father, name mother, probable birthyear almost... and if born in Italy or in USA) and in any case, also if Annetta born in USA, the birth registration is also in Licata, almost in the year of back in Italy, because she must to be registered in birth registries; well from Annetta Stato Civile certificate you can to know birthdate, marriage date and husband name, death date.. for this certificate you must to prof that you are a relative of Annetta( for privacy law), but no problem for you.. hoping helpful, regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
czeffer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by czeffer »

Thank you so much for your wondereful reply.

I have requested the LDS films and hope to have them soon. I can now see the steps very clearly and will just have to be patient.
Grazie mille - Cheryl
czeffer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by czeffer »

When I first posted I was assuming the date range that Annetta was born. After much more research it would be before 1913 (not sure how much before) and would MOST LIKELY be Italy.

The entry - Vincenzo Marali Licata 1902 18 does look promising - as he was born about 1883. I'm just wondering if he returned to Italy and then came back. Maggie was pregnant with Guy when she came over in Sept 1913 (if this date is correct from the naturalization papers of her 2nd husband).

There is also the same reference to a brother Francesco for an Andrea Marrali who travled in May 1914 - also visting a brother Francesco - who happened to live on Orange Avenue in Cleveland Ohio - the same street that Maggie and her second husband show on their marriage license. This is a very Italian neighborhood so it may mean nothing.

It could very well be that Maggie had the 2 girls and then Vincent came to the US - she could have travaled over in 1913 and gotten pregnant here - I don't completely trust the date of arrival off the naturalization papers.

There is another intersting entry for a Gaetano Marrali who traveled in April 1913 - he shows it is going to his fathers in MARTEL Ohio. This is where the last 3 children were born. I can't read the father's name. There is someone else on the manifest going to Martel but I can't read it clearly - doesn't appear to be mine.

I will keep checking through the list.

Thanks
Grazie mille - Cheryl
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the father of Gaetano Marrali, it is Gioacchino Mirabile from ship's manifest... ; gaetano was in travel with Elisa Sorridente Mirabile....they joining both to Gioacchino... maybe the mother of Gaetano made had 2 marriages..... maybe........regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH