Surname: Baruccia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
hushlush

Surname: Baruccia

Post by hushlush »

I have a copy of a marriage certificate between my g-grandfather and g-grandmother... It lists my g-grandfather's mother's name as Mary Baruccia. I know that my g-grandfather (her son) was born in Norcia, Italy - but that is about all the clues that I have...

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start the search at for Mary Baruccia??? I've been looking on Ancestory.com but have had no luck.

thanks and happy hunting! :D

-Deena
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surname: Baruccia

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Deena,

I don't see any films for Norcia at the LDS library, so that means you have to write away for records.

What year and where did the marriage occur? Do you have the passenger records for the family?

Debbie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Deena, maybe you can say us the name of Mary Baruccia's son.. Baruccia don't exist in Italy in this spell... it are in Umbria region: Barocci, Baronci, Baracchi, Baracaia, Baraschi, Peruzzi... maybe finding the ship's manifest we can read directly the surname of mary... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
hushlush

Post by hushlush »

thank you for the responses!
Here is the info that I do have...

Between the marriage of my great grandfather, John Vannicelli, and my great grandmother, Donata Pignatiello, their marriage license for the state of Ohio in the US lists John's mother as Mary Baruccia and his father as Clemente Vannicelli.
I am trying to find information on Mary Baruccia and Clemente Vannicelli.
I do not know when they were born or when they died or where this all took place. All I know is their names and that they lived in Italy.

I can tell you that my great grandfather, John Vannicelli, was born in Norcia, Italy on December 16, 1883. It is believed that he had a twin brother that did not live, and a sister that he signed ownership of a store to before he came to America in 1909.

Unfortunatley, that is about all the info that I have.

If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thank you both Debbie and Sunaj for your replies.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi,

I think you are trying to start to far back. You need to start closer to yourself and work backwards.

What year did the marriage between John Vannicelli and Donata Pignatiello occur? What county in Ohio?

Do you have death records for John or Donata?
Have you found their passenger records?

A WWI draft card for John would also be helpful.

This is close. Could be your John.
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Giovanne Vannicelli
Name: Giovanne Vannicelli
City: Columbus
County: Franklin
State: Ohio
Birth Date: 26 Dec 1882
Race: White
Roll: 1832028

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Have you seen these records?

Born Died
Record Donata Vannicelli Est. 1892 Franklin, Ohio 7 May 1983 Franklin

Record John D Vannicelli Est. 1956 Franklin, Ohio 6 Sep 1983 Franklin

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

1930 Census

Name: John Vannicelli
Home in 1930: Columbus, Franklin, Ohio
Estimated birth year: abt 1881
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Vana
Race: White

Household Members: Name Age
John Vannicelli 49
Vana Vannicelli 39
Clem Vannicelli 20
Mike Vannicelli 18
Theresa Vannicelli 16
Rose Vannicelli 14
Perina Vannicelli 12
Ollie Vannicelli 10
Philip Vannicelli 9
Nick Vannicelli 3 10/12
Violet Vannicelli 5
Tony Vannicelli 9/12

If this is the correct family, Parents immigrated in 1909 and are both aliens in 1930.

Looks like you can find information on this family on ancestry.com
I'll check back tomorrow. Ancestry.com is available free at many libraries.

Suggested Plan:
1. Get death certificate for John - should list names of his parents
2.Get obit for his wife (if she is the one listed above). May give her husbands death date.
3.Social SEcutity application - he would have listed parents names. Existance of one will depend on his date of death.
4. Find passenger record. This will help confirm his place of birth. If you have difficulty finding one, check other census records as they will help narrow down the year of immigration.
5. Write or use microfilm to get his birth record. This will have parents names.

Then you can continue researching his parents. Right now its difficult as you do not enough information on them.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

If this is the correct family, someone has posted a tree on ancestry.com with alot of information about this family. I will post the link after you confirm this is the correct family.

Debbie

PS Looks like it might be by you.
hushlush

Post by hushlush »

Hi Debbie... Yes ma'am, that is my info on Ancestory.com. I have started with myself and am working backwards... Which leads me to Mary and Clemente. That is the reason why I posted here, to try to find some tips on searching for them.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

hushlush wrote:I have a copy of a marriage certificate between my g-grandfather and g-grandmother... It lists my g-grandfather's mother's name as Mary Baruccia. I know that my g-grandfather (her son) was born in Norcia, Italy - but that is about all the clues that I have...

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start the search at for Mary Baruccia??? I've been looking on Ancestory.com but have had no luck.

thanks and happy hunting! :D

-Deena
Hi Deena

When I read your post above, I didn't think you had done your US research. I see that isn't the case. Sorry. Guess it was the line about the only clues from the marriage record.

If LDS hasn't microfilmed the town (I couldn't find that they did) then your only recourse is to write or e-mail the town in Italy that the record would have occured in.

I would start with the birth act for John, as it will contain the names and birth places of his parents.

One other thought to confirm the names of his parents. If he was working at least as early as 1937, you could try and send for a copy of his social security application card. I have two completed this year. It would be a primary source as he would have given the information himself. Also, he would have been in the country alot longer by then and his communication skills should have been better than when he married. Suanj said the surname of Mary was not correct.

I assume you have his death certificate and obit and they were not helpful.

On the ancestry.com tree - Do you have the ability to remove it from public viewing if you choose?

Debbie
hushlush

Post by hushlush »

Debbie,

I will try to obtain a copy of the following...
1. Social Security Application
2. Death Certificate
3. Obiturary

I do not have the hard copies, I just have what forms that Ancestory.com has provided...

You had mentioned that you would start with the "birth act for John". What is a birth act?

And, yes, on Ancestory.com you do have the option to make the tree private only... Why do you ask? Is that something that should be done?

<Rookie in Training Here> :D

Thank you for your info Debbie, I do appreciate it.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Deena,

Obtaining the documents you listed will help.

The birth act is his Italian birth certificate. In general Italian vital records contain more information than our older USA records. Women never loose their maiden names in legal records.

I would suggest reading Tafford Cole's book, Italian Genealogical Records. You should find it at a library. I use it so much, I bought a copy. In my opinion, if you are going to do serious Italian research I think that book is one of the must reads. It certainly became my "bible" for Italian genealogy. Lynn Nelson also has a book "Discovering Your Italian Ancestors" that is a good source. These books explain the various records, give examples of the actual records and translations.

I suggest starting with John's birth record as it will contain the names of his parents , their ages, and their place of birth.

I was just curious about how the public trees on Ancestry worked. I have always wondered if once you made your tree public, you could then remove it. I have not "published" any of my work on the internet. I think it is a personal decision. It can be a great way for lost cousins to find you.

Another source of information is USICS. A request may take weeks (some have reported several months) to receive a reply, but it is free. Request a copy of the entire record. Send one for each of your great grandparents.

http://www.ice.gov/about/legal.htm#foia

Debbie
hushlush

Post by hushlush »

Debbie, thank you for the website... I am first going to head to the library to obtain a copy of the books you suggested... Thank you!

Let me ask you one other question - How does one obtain a copy of a birth act?

Hope your weekend is going well!
:D

-Deena
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

this is a Giovanni Vannicelli( mistaken in Vannicoli) from Norcia, age 22 in 1905, final destination Columbus, Ohio
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... ull&RF=87Ã
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
hushlush

Post by hushlush »

Suanj,

That is John's information... When you look at his name, it lists a series of numbers - 9X2805 1/19/38 - do you know what this represents?

Thank you Suanj!