Questions About Passenger List Layout

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
amigina

Questions About Passenger List Layout

Post by amigina »

I just found two copies of a list of manifest of alien passengers for the USA and Record of Aliens Held for Special Inquiry of my grandmother.

1. What are the difference between those two sheets? They are both dated same.

2. Under the manifest column, it has 'group' and 'no.' headings. What does it mean? For example, my grandmother's group number is 219 and no. 5. There are other people with group number 219 - is that mean she's with her group, like her relatives?

3. Cause of detention: LPC, I11 - what are these?

She was the passenger on Dante Alighieri ship during the year of 1919. How do I find out the reason why she left Italy and headed to NY? Is it because, like everybody else, of better job and living in America?
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Questions About Passenger List Layout

Post by Biff83 »

Amigina,

This will help you interpret the Special Inquiry Record you found for your grandmother.

http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/bsi/

The "219" on the special inquiry page refers to the number at the top of her ship manifest. Look at the top left hand corner of the ship manifest. The "5" refers to the line number on that page. LPC means Likely Public Charge with the reason given as "Illness." Also note on the ship manifest the stamp ADMITTED in the left hand column over her line number. There are also naturalization notations for her on the ship manifest. This link will help explain the naturalization notes.

http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/occ/
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
amigina

Post by amigina »

Biff83 - Wow, thanks! I learned so much from the two articles you just linked to me. I'm surprised about the LPC - you mean it could be anything, like illness? Boy, the people on the ship sounded like they're strict. I wonder how was my grandmother were treated on the ship.

Again, thank you, Biff83.

Gina
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Amigina,

I'm guessing you were viewing Amalia's record on Ancestry.com. I do not know if you are aware but her ship manifest is on two separate pages. Amalia's marital status is shown as married on the first page. On the second page it shows her husband's name and address in PA as her destination. To view the second page on Ancestry advance to the next image.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

amigina wrote: Boy, the people on the ship sounded like they're strict.
Gina
Gina,

It was the US immigration officials not the ship personnel. There were a number of reasons why people were detained and why they were tagged as LPC at various times--illness, inability to read and write, unaccompanied minors, and others.
amigina

Post by amigina »

Biff83,

You're exactly right that I got the info from Ancestry. I'm going to check it again and see if I can pull up the second page.......Yes, you're right - I got it. Now I see her husband's name on the list (my grandfather).

Again, big thank you for letting me know about the 2nd page. :)
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Gina,

Did you notice on the line below Amalia's name there's a Giacinto Paluzzi going to the same address in PA as Amalia to join his father Domenico? He lists his nearest relative in Italy as his grandmother Rosa in Supino. Could Domenico and Nazzareno be brothers/cousins?

Have you located Nazzareno's manifest yet? Are you also looking for draft registration cards, census records etc.?

Biff
amigina

Post by amigina »

Yes, I noticed Giacinto and Maria Paluzzi went with my grandmother Amalia. They were youngsters then. I also learn about Rosa's name and my clue is beginning to gives me answer. As for Nazzareno, I can read that he went with them as well. I will looks for more record when I get back from work tonight.
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jenalonso »

Biff83 -

you mean people were sometimes pulled for not being able to read & write? Is that true? If so, that would explain discrepancies with ancestors (like mine) who wrote "yes" to those questions when they were, in fact, illiterate.

Thanks!
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Literacy was not a requirement until 1917 when the Congress overrode President Woodrow Wilson's initial veto of the Immigration Act change. All previous attempts by Congress to pass literacy requirements for immigrants (1890, 1898, 1902, 1913 and 1915) were defeated by Presidential veto and did not receive the required two thirds majority vote when resubmitted.

Biff